Anyone know how to change my NAT

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by justcallmekg, Nov 25, 2015.

1. So for a very long time ive had NAT type 3 and it really fucks with my online gaming. Anyone know how to change it to 1 or even 2?

2. Sorry kg. No idea. My NAT is open. It changed to moderate once or twice but always changes back.

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I used to have a 'strict' NAT setting with AT&T and it seriously fucked w/ my online gaming too..couldn't connect to a lot my friends and it pissed me off.

Only thing that fixed it was buying a new modem. Same company, same connection...diff modem made all the diff. Pry a more nerded out way to do it easier but I don't know :p

4. Need to change settings on your modem or router. Who's your isp? I'll try to help my best over text definitely easier to remote in or use team viewer but I doubt you want to give a total stranger access to your computer.

5. Just look up port forwarding and see what ports you need to open. The ports you need open will depend on the games and console you play. Once you find out what ports you need open go to your computer (it has to be hardwired to the your router) and open your browser. Now you need to get to your router settings depending on your router you will have to do it differently easiest thing to do is just look up how to get to the settings on the router you have. For example a lot of them you have to type 192.168.1.1 mines different though you're might be too. Once you find out how to to get into your router settings you need to find port forwarding and open the necessary ports. Also if you need a username and password to get into your router settings, the username is usually admin and the password is usually password. If that doesn't work just look up the default username and password for your router.

6. I actually just messed with the settings and got my NAT type to Open earlier this week. It's different for every router but I used this page for reference and this guide:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/...
    That tells you which ports you need and what service is required on each port.

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_f...
    This link gives a list of routers and how to port forward for each one specifically.

Another thing to note is that each time you mess with the settings on your router, you need to hard reboot your Xbox One to see if the settings actually worked. To do this simply hold your finger on the power button on the console for 5-10 seconds until it turns off. I had to do this before my Xbox would display that the NAT type was Open.

It really wasn't too difficult, just took me about 30 minutes and a bit of fiddling and I got it with no prior experience with this kind of stuff. There are plenty of youtube videos that will give you a more step-by-step guide. Good luck!

7. #7 Just Smoke It, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
    It's not always as easy as forwarding some ports and in order to do that you need to have a static ip which if not set up correctly can create problems as well. However, port forwarding is a good place to start.

8. Op never came back. Guess it wasn't a big deal.