Small Batch Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OrganicOrBust, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Can it be done. I had a thought. I'm small time. And it's winter. Too cold for compost outside. But I have some good fixins to get a little compost going. Let me know if this sounds worth while. I'm trying it, but I don't want to waste my time.

Five gallon bucket. Had some EWC and some left over soil in it. Not much maybe a cup or so at the bottom. I threw a couple cups worth of mulch from top layer of my outdoor garden. And pulled a few handfuls from the center of my failed compost pile outside(too cold) it was woody leafy slimy goodness. Haha
    I chopped it all up real fine with my yard shears. Then added about half a bucket full of cannabis leaves. Some dry some wet. Threw some pine needles in and some alfalfa straw. And a half cup of leftover kelp meal.
    Then I went inside and dumped my kitchen scrap bag in it. Mostly egg shells coffee grounds veggie scraps like lettuce and bell peppers and potato peels. Some bananas and a few other goodies. I crushed all eggs shells finely and chopped it again with the shears. I mixed this all up well and it's looks nice.
    I know this may seem unorthodox. But what are some thoughts?

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448213948.241190.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448213970.135920.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448213990.541077.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448214076.715081.jpg
    It's pretty moist for now so I won't wet it. I think I will just store it inside with a loose fitting lid if this seems viable.

3. #3 donothinggardening, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
    you may want to add more "brown" material to that.. :unsure: I don't see why it couldn't work as well as one of those fancy tumbling composters as long as ya keep it aerated and have the C/N ratios within a good range.

bokashi composting is a another good way to compost food scraps in the winter that you might want to consider.

4. Thanks. I did exactly that! I gathered some more pine straw and alfalfa. I chopped a few smaller branches from the compost pile up as well as tree bark and a few cups of charred wood some ash from my burn put out back (usually pine) and some oak chips.

Added about a cup of oats, the pumpkins from Halloween and of course the old fruits out of the fridge. Haha.

Mixed well and made a nice bin with a few holes on top bottom and sides so it should do nicely. I'm very excited to produce some of my own compost and see it in a few months. When should it start to heat up ya think?

5. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448226486.166069.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448226506.214170.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448226524.971531.jpg

Forgot to mention. I added a bit of kelp and seabird poo.

6. #6 OrganicOrBust, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
    And a bit of chopped cardboard for good measure
    I feel like I've got plenty of diversity in sources of both carbon and N. fruits veggies greens woods char ash dried trimmings EWC soil straws meals a bit of poo. Haha
    View attachment 1924422

7. im trying the same thing only i am using my bokashi compost mixed 50/50 with peat, all in a 5 gallon bucket, no idea if it will work or what.

8. After it sits for a bit you may just want to add some worms to it.

J

9. One bin to rule them all.[​IMG]

Wet

10. Hells yes. Haha. Can I just dig up some worms from the yard?

11. One Worm Ring?

image.jpg

;)

J

12. With a bit of time, one is enough.[​IMG]

Wet

13. Well it's definitely cooking! The entire bin is hot. Thanks you guys. Can't wait to see how this one goes. I suppose I'll research what type of worms are needed.

14. Also getting some nice thick patches of white fuzz forming on top. I assume this is good fungal growth...I hope. Lol

15. Gave the bin a few good shakes after heat starting wearing off. And now it's heating back up again. Have noticed several small flies in and outside of the bin. Not sure if they're gnats or baby fruit or house flies yet. Haven found any larvae or maggots inside the compost.

16. Does it give off a strong smell? I want to try this.

Also how hot can a compost get?

17. 100+ degrees. And no it doesn't smell too much. But im doing it in a bin.

18. Red Wigglers, or Red Worms. I also like to take shits in mine. I keep to a strict vegan diet, so my doo doo is FULL of all kinds of goodies. No preservatives in my mud monkeys.