The Most Effective Way to Give to Charity

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jane_Bellamont, Nov 22, 2015.

1. http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2012/12/14/w...

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking on the most effective and direct way to give money to a charity. I've always had a strange feeling about mainstream charities.. as well as bucket charities. What exactly is going to happen the minute I drop a dollar into the container? Will I get value for my money - are people going to cease to suffer, or is it just going to be absorbed into their 'business expenses'.. like a Chinese whisper?

Obviously, running around town and giving money to homeless teenagers, in a first world country.. is probably not as urgent as paying for the eye surgery of a child in a Kenyan village, which is a third world country.

I used to be a homeless teenager myself at one point. I was on the brink of calling it a day, back at the time. But - I got help. A man once sent me $100 through so I could buy myself food for a few weeks - but he forced me to promise that I will help other people in the future. This is a promise I wish to keep. I was very ashamed of accepting help back then - but, I guess I already know what to do now in order to call it even.

--

https://www.givedirectly.org/operating-model.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GiveDirectly
    http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/11/20/...

This is a charity that currently struck my eye. You get to actually put money directly into the recipient's bank accounts in Kenya, thanks to modern technology. They also communicate with the recipients, to make sure that they've actually received the funds.

Giving money to charity is no doubt the best cure for depression and self-doubt. It'll empower your to accomplish more in your life - because you won't just be working your guts out just so you can replace your $11,000 Mazda with a $30,000 BMW - you'll be doing it to save the lives of the people who depend on you. The only real challenge is finding the right charity.

2. That's a damn good idea. I like to help people when I can but, like you, I'm weary of giving money to organizations that will just keep 90 cents on the dollar (Clinton foundation, ahhem, cough)

3. #3 Elem3nt17, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
    Go to the grocery store and buy a shitload of food or clothing items then donate them to your local goodwill/salvation army or whatever community outreach programs you have in your area. You'll be putting food and clothes on the backs of the homeless in your community and there wont be cash or corporate interests involved.

4. I've helped many nigerian princes, spent thousands of dollars, apparently I have quite the reputation because they are always emailing me. Just how many princes are there in Nigeria?

5. Help people in your in group and make friends.

Giving to poor people you don't know or donating to charity only assured you enable drug habbits or fund warlords or orphanages.

If everyone just started with being nice to eachother it would go around.

-Yuri

6. I think that a charity devoted to reducing overpopulation is a good idea. I'm sure that there are some. This would significantly cut down on poverty and lack of resources for the human race.

7. #7 Jane_Bellamont, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
    If a free-market, capitalistic, anti-welfare, ultra-conservative website like Forbes.com recommends the charity I just mentioned, then I'm pretty sure it must at least be legit.

Personally, I really don't care if poor people buy themselves booze or weed. They're humans, not zoo animals. We tend to overestimate how much control we really have over our lives. I drink alcohol, smoke weed.. play video games.. because I am lucky enough to be living in a first-world country with a job that I am fortunate enough to have been offered. Why shouldn't they be granted the freedom to live their lives the exact same way as me?

To say otherwise would be to put yourself on some kind of moral, racial, ethnic high-horse. Fuck that - I'll happily pay an extra 25% so they can go straight to the liquor store, and bring home a bottle of wine, or a bag of weed; a daily reminder that they are dignified human beings who deserve to enjoy life.. not lab rats.

Poverty in itself is an enabler of drug addiction. That's because drug addiction is caused by stress and emotional suffering, as well as physical pain. It's a form of self-medication. If you have a happy life, you're not going to become addicted to drugs, even if you try the hardcore stuff.

8. #8 Deleted member 472633, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Awesome as long as its voluntary more power to you. Its when people use the violence of thestate, pay up or else or we'll kill you or put you in a rape cage (American prison) that things get fucked up.

9. #9 Jane_Bellamont, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015

I'm assuming you don't believe in democracy, right? As in - Majority makes Right? Because the majority of people support taxes, unfortunately.

I don't believe majority makes right, either.. though I don't think that taxation is really that big of a deal. People get really worked up about the welfare system, it's like they have some sort of grudge.. when really, it's only trying to help people in need. Hell - it may even end up helping you one day, if circumstances allow. You never know when you're gonna need the help of the state.

What would anti-welfare libertarians do in the event of being fired from work? What about in the event of permanent disability? Would they just suck it up and live on the streets while they apply for jobs, so as to spare themselves from being labeled as hypocrites.. or would they accept the help of the government (a.k.a the Community as a Whole?)?

10. Wait Wut?

Disagreeing with the majority makes you anti democracy?

I thought everyone got an opinion in democracy. Guess I was wrong.
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >
    I don't believe majority makes right, either.. though I don't think that taxation is really that big of a deal. People get really worked up about the welfare system, it's like they have some sort of grudge.. when really, it's only trying to help people in need. Hell - it may even end up helping you one day, if circumstances allow. You never know when you're gonna need the help of the state.

</blockquote>The issue is that we shouldn't need wellfare

State intervention in the market increases poverty rates
    What would anti-welfare libertarians do in the event of being fired from work? What about in the event of permanent disability? Would they just suck it up and live on the streets while they apply for jobs, so as to spare themselves from being labeled as hypocrites.. or would they accept the help of the government (a.k.a the Community as a Whole?)?

</blockquote>
    Wellfare systems should exist, just not be paid for by stolen money

-Yuri

11. #11 Jane_Bellamont, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
    Speaking of stealing - a lot of the land on the planet that is currently owned by rich Europeans, is actually stolen land that used to belong to native populations.

This was the case in North America, South America, Pacific Islands, Africa (especially), Asia, etc.

..But I guess nobody likes to talk about that, because.. well, the truth hurts. It's a lot more fun to point the finger at single mothers using food stamps to purchase candy bars, and accuse them of being everything that is wrong with the world.

12. Personally Hand out Turkey Sandwiches and Fresh Blankets to the homeless this Thanksgiving

13. No i don't believe that just because the majority supports something that makes it right. And democracy is a horrible system, dictatorship of the masses, if there has to be a government then it should be a constitutional republic, but I would prefer no government whatsoever. I don't believe using state violence is altruistic, initiating force on others is immoral.

14. Big charities get lots of money and don't give a lot back like you're thinking. Most goes to administration expenses because charities rely on grants and almost all grants specifically say what you can spend the money on.

Local charities have a much harder time receiving grants and most people involved are volunteers. Jobs are scarce. I know because I got my degree in nonprofit administration. Most barely make a wage and the only people who usually get paid is the director of the charities because it is a full time job. They work a lot of hours for free.

Finding these small charities would put the most money towards the cause. I think working with the homeless would be a great idea! Too many people sweep them under the rug, assume they're all on drugs when most suffer from mental illness and self medicate using drugs because they feel hopeless. The kind hand up you got changed your life. I suggest you call a troubled youth center in your area and ask for recommendations on which programs need help. You could work with homeless children. 1 in 5 kids don't have a permanent home and don't know where their next meal will come from.

Another is working with the food bank and they would also know of good programs to donate to.

I applaud you for wanting to give back.

15. his is this at all relevent?

Native stole land from other natives. Native Americans, Africans, Hawaiians, were all very brutal.

King Kamehameha threw babies of cliffs and the Hawaiians want to criticize the white man for anexing Hawaii "peacefully"...

History doesn't justify anything. We still know right from wrong.

This was the case in North America, South America, Pacific Islands, Africa (especially), Asia, etc.

..But I guess nobody likes to talk about that, because.. well, the truth hurts. It's a lot more fun to point the finger at single mothers using food stamps to purchase candy bars, and accuse them of being everything that is wrong with the world.
    </blockquote>Ummmmm Wut? No one likes to talk about it? Bull shit.

I wonder why you didn't bring up hotel rowanda or native Americans scalping eachother? Because ifs inconvenient to your point? Which was what exactly? That white man conquering America justifies theft?

You aren't making sense mAn. Smoke less

-Yuri

16. I don't disagree

My.point was merely that large scale charity operations don't help the problem much.

We need people in general to just help eachother out.

If I help my friends and they help their friends and you help your friends and they help us, there wont be any need for large scale charities

-Yuri

17. #17 Jane_Bellamont, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
    We're not talking about charity. We're talking about taxation and the welfare system.

Taxation and welfare have stood the test of time. I have yet to learn of a single society that has ever functioned without the use of 'coercive' wealth redistribution.

Like I said, even I used to be on welfare. I don't think I would be alive to this day if I hadn't been on welfare. I would have probably just been shot dead on the streets.

There would be no welfare without coercive taxation. This is why I don't mind paying taxes. I pay my taxes so I can have peace of mind.. though it sometimes pisses me off when it gets misused (e.g. to enforce drug prohibition, or to wage war overseas.)

p.s.
    What I'm saying is I don't think taxation is a big deal, all in all. It's a pin-prick, compared to the other evils that are happening in the world as we speak. Why are the filthy rich billionaires so hell-bent on reducing taxes when they're already making enough money to support themselves for 1000 lifetimes, hm?