Wealth/Power/Productivity/Doing meaningful things

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TotallyToked, Nov 21, 2015.

1. I do not consider myself terribly ambitious. But I see people who scramble their whole lives trying to get more, more, more.

I see people who enforce serious discipline on themselves, working all the time and living a very regimented life in order to fulfill some mandate drilled into them by parents (or occasionally drilled in themselves) to be a productive, good member of society.

I sometimes envision a fascist world in which everyone is forced to just work constantly to "better the state of humanity". Frivolous activity BANNED.

But what is the point? Lets say humans could improve the quality of many things (more nutrition, better health, more efficient transportation, better tools to work with, and so on). Why do we do so?

Personally I would hope it is so that we can have more time to enjoy life.
    It doesn't make sense to me to produce for the sake of producing, or optimize for the sake of optimizing. (Though I am in an engineering field, and that can be fun... :) )

If you never take a moment to enjoy yourself, and don't expect anyone else to either, what is the purpose of all the hard work? Just so you can continue working hard, but more efficiently?
    NO!
    Its so that we can get more and more done in less and less time, leaving more time for enjoyment.
    Alternatively, spend the same time working and have far more resources due to increased efficiency (broadly using the term there--restaurants, service industry, video games, etc are all resources you can enjoy).

2. What you put in is what you get hard work is hard work.

3. i love money. i try to get as much as possible. got some money riding on the stock market and it's looking good. the key is moderation when it comes to money. and secrecy. spend like an average person would and dont brag. from there on you go with the flow. and smoke a lot of weed

if you're having doubts about life or cant find joy then go spend time around sick/poor/handicapped ppl. trust me youll appreciate life much more after tht. i did and i cant believe i used to be sad about anything before

soon you'll be dead and none of it wouldve mattered anyway. tht's the beauty of it all. spend a life time doing things tht in turn make your brain pump out happy chemicals tht r intended to aid us in survival. then die and forget about it

4. People usually get into a groove and after doing something for so long cannot imagine life without it. This whole go to school go to work have kids thing. Be a cog in the wheel. No...fuck that. Fuck that to its core.

I too think that...increased production should equal increased free time. Work should not be a selfish thing. Work should be sufficient enough by itself, you gave your time to provide a necessary function to society.

What we ought to do is decide what is necessary for us to survive, build a platform to provide those very things that works without money. Efficient, resourceful, for everyone by everyone.

People who say society/government/people would not function without money. Poor you. We are ruled by ideologies/beliefs...your mind. Your perspective, your outlook, your subconscious. Until we as a whole realize this we'll be meddling in bullshit like we have been for so long.

5. ^Money is the evolution of how we trade our work/time... maybe governments and society could get along without money, but it makes things easier.

And that's the point, money is supposed to make your life easier, IMO...

But many people make money/power the prize, the ultimate goal... and I doubt many of those people can ever make enough.

I used to be very anti-money/materialism... but that mad life harder...

Money isn't the root of all evil... it's the love of money/greed that corrupts.

After I realized money is a tool to better my life yet still never made it a way to value my life, I've worked as efficiently as possible to put myself in a position to I feel I make enough to be content.

Lifestyle > wealth.

I'd rather be happy than rich any day.

6. Its all about the money and who is controlling it.
    Learn this and learn why more production doesn't mean more leisure. Learn why we fight for more money and work but not purchasing power. Its the real secret