Religious exemptions and discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics' started by silversongwriter, Nov 20, 2015.

1. I don't hold special views of hatred towards other people. I hate everyone equally.
    However, nothing pisses me off to see people who've haven't really suffered in this country who love to play the victims.

I do not see how either group advocates equality, justice or freedom.
    I hate the LGBT movement for supporting tolerance classes in school, allowing the Trevor Project to visit schools, banning conversion therapy, trying to force christian bakers to make wedding cakes for gays, being 100% anti-discrimination without even considering religious exemptions, for trying to force people to allow trannies in THEIR bathrooms and bitching about stuff all the time.
    I hate right wing christians for wanting weed illegal, wanting gay marriage illegal, and bitching about stuff all the time.

Now, if you're personally prejudice against Christians or gays that's fine... No problem. I'm prejudice against both. However, I support legalization of ANYTHING that doesn't violate the harm principle. If you support that, you can be racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-christian, and as bigoted as you want. Fine...

Right wing christians tend to support religious freedom legislature, which I support. That's one of the few things I agree with them. I'm socially libertarian, so I support gay marriage. I just want gays to marry without thier marriage having any affect on any other person whatsoever.

2. The problem is religious freedom can be used as a tool to discriminate and subjugate important laws. This is why religious liberty laws can be a very big slippery slope. What kind of religious liberty law do you want specifically passed. One that allows people to not serve the LGBT community due to their faith?

3. Have those you hate actually done something harmful to you?

4. #4 Malvolio, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
    Do you really agree with conversion camps? Do you realise that they do to people in those places? You can't support both the NAP and conversion camps at the same time.

Equally, can you really say that LGBT people haven't suffered? They used to send people to jail for having gay sex. Alan Turing, one of the greatest minds in British history, who played an incredible role in the war, killed himself because they castrated him for being gay.

It's impossible to equate religious rights with LGBT rights. While I believe in the right to practice religion, it doesn't change the fact that religion is a delusion. People aren't born christian, they're socially conditioned to be so, yet also choose to cast aside logic and critical thinking. LGBT people are born that way, they don't have a choice.

5. Freedom from religion is as important as freedom of religion, but the religious generally don't see it that way.

6. It's all hate with these kid's Ed.While the internet is great and all it has given a platform for every fool and his dog.
    You can have a legion of buffoons reciting your ideas by setting up a YT channel and making a few well edited films.

One of the pubs I drink in has zero mobile/internet reception, ya can't even send a text message or make a call in there. Owner refuses to get WiFi in and the place is all the better for it. People have to talk to and listen to each other rather than staring at their phones like brainwashed zombies.

7. #7 JohnnyWeedSeed, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
    Freedom of association also comes with freedom to not associate. If you want to be a bigot and discriminate against (insert group of people here) and not let them in your business or not provide them your services then that's your choice. I think it's morally abhorrent to have and enforce laws that force, say, a bakery owned by Christians to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

So yes, fuck anti discrimination laws. I want the bigots to be out in the open about it and have signs up and be as big of an asshole as they want to be so the rest of us know where not to spend our time and money.

If I'm gay and looking to buy a wedding cake I don't want to buy it from the shop that hates me and is forced at the end of the government's guns to serve me, I'll say fuck you to that guy and go down the street and get my damn cake from someone who actually wants to make or for me.

8. The anti-gay marriage bakery people probably spit in the wedding cake, or worse.

9. Exactly. Why would you want a law forcing people who hate you to make you food? That's like yelling "hey fuck head, get your ass in gear and hurry up with that damn burger" through the window in the McDonald's drive through lane.

10. My issue with the LGBT movement is with how they are toward religious moderates.

I am religious and I do believe homosexuality is a sin. However, I do not in any way condone discriminating gays. What my religious beliefs are, are exactly that - MINE. This isn't a theocracy so no one has any right to try to impede on their rights in the name of religion.

There are tons of things that are sins. For me to look down on someone who is gay is the most hypocritical thing possible. I am a sinner and shit if I was being judged by my sins let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

But why is it that any time I express what I believe I am labeled homophobic? I harbor no hate for gays and have gay friends. I don't treat them any different than anyone else. They have every right to be who they are freely. I feel no need to use my religious beliefs over someone else.

It's like if you don't agree with homosexuality, you are automatically stigmatized.

I don't tell you what to do with your life, so don't turn around and try to tell me what my religion says.

Same with gays always trying to say that homosexuality isn't a sin in Christianity. It is a sin. Yes, perhaps the Bible talks more about the sins of eating shrimp than homosexuality, but regardless it is a sin. I don't get why some gays feel the need to berate religious people to legitimize their lifestyle.

I support the LGBT movement, but not this hostility toward people who do not agree with the lifestyle. I can disagree with your lifestyle and still be friends with you, and respect you just like any other person.

11. Just out of curiosity do you believe eating shrimp is a sin?

12. I'm not Christian so no.

13. What are you Muslim, Jewish?

14. agnostic, maybe?

15. fact is, everyone has a right to be anything they want to be, if you want all your rights you have to allow them theirs.
    Even if you see the religion they believe in as a delusion, shouldn't mean anything to you as they have the same right you do to believe and do whatever the hell they want, and if you are crying and bitching about their rights your the hypocrite.
    a little self righteous to think your thoughts are any better then anyone else's.
    We are all human ...

16. The problem with this lies in the fact that the majority of law makers and enforcers in America are typically Christian, therefore rules, laws, the whole shebang is written with that in mind. Do you know how entirely sick I am of hearing "America is a Christian nation?" Blergh. There aren't any openly Atheistic government officials, they'd be crucified if so and this is supposed to be a nation free FROM religion. Religion and state are wayyyyyyyyy too closely entwined IMO.

17. #17 Snarfindorf, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
    The reason people are hostile is because people who are against gay rights have no logical reason to be that way other than conditioning at an early age. There is NO logical reason to hate gay people. They are no more dangerous than your next door neighbour. If a "religious moderate" told me they hated gay people, yeah, fine, you're a dick, but if you want to influence the laws of my country to stop people from gaining rights because you follow a 2,000 year old cult, then you can fuck right off. I'll gladly stigmatize anyone who's anti-gay. 79 countries where it is ILLEGAL to be homosexual is a fucking travesty. Also, the idea of a "sin" is purely religious. Sins do not exist outside religion, because they're a creation by man, because man wants to be more than man, hence religious people.

If you're religious, you hate gays and you actively try to stifle the rights of gays, fuck off.

Edit: Wasn't telling you to fuck off, just clarifying :p

18. Nah man I totally get where you are coming from.

I don't hate gays in any way and don't feel the need to criticize their life. Unfortunately, that can't be said for most other religious people. If more religious people focused on improving THEMSELVES instead of worrying about what other people are doing, then the world would be a much nicer place.

And you're right, the idea of sin is purely religious. Which is why that is no justification to hate or discriminate against gays in any way.

19. Does it make a difference?