Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking hemp for cannabinoids? A way around medical MJ laws?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by dubyrunning, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I'm just getting into the wild world of cannabis, and while I understand a bit about it, one thing I'm not sure about is whether it would be possible to smoke certain strains of hemp for the medicinal benefits, and if so, how - both physically and legally.

I live in Maine, and like some states, Maine recently passed a law allowing growth of industrial hemp, which is defined as "any variety of Cannabis sativa L. with a delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol concentration that does not exceed 0.3%." That's a pretty broad definition, and makes me wonder if hemp wouldn't be a good way for patients and others to get the benefits of CBD, CBN, and other cannabinoids without the THC - outside of state medical marijuana programs.

So I'm hoping someone who knows a bit about hemp (or cannabis sativa with <0.3% THC) could tell me how one would physically obtain and smoke hemp, and what sort of cannabinoid profile one could expect from it. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Why not just fake an ailment and get medical?

3. #3 dubyrunning, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
    I'm not thinking of hemp as a substitute for MMJ, but as a supplement. Maine's MMJ law, like all MMJ laws, imposes plant and ounce limits on patients and caregivers. If people can be licensed to grow hemp, and if hemp offers CBD, CBN and other cannabinoids (besides THC), then some patients could potentially really benefit from smoking hemp and using it for salves and oil. Hemp plants potentially wouldn't count toward the MMJ plant limits.
    That's why I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of cannabinoids, and what levels of them hemp strains can offer, and how to harvest and smoke hemp buds.