Is everything determined?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SuperHaze12, Nov 16, 2015.

1. How do you know the universe has a beginning?

2. This concept is very interesting , never thought of the universe just existing. That it never started and it will never end... its very bittersweet to say the least. On one side its bitter bc if its infinite then that means all religions are false, we were just a mistake that was created from chaos.
    Its sweet cause if the universe never ends then we can explore the cosmos and the human race would live til the end of time. Which in this case there is no end.

3. We are speaking theoretically of course.

4. We were not a mistake formed from chaos. We are necessary as is everything that happens. As we know energy always flows in the path of least resistance. Seeing as we are but a blip in the energy moment throughout the universe we are subject to the laws of energy.

Following that logic, everything we do is the path of least resistance and necessary.

I believe we made up free Wil in our minds.

5. #25 TheSuperApe, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
    Delete

6. Yo that was deep..
    So you dont believe in free will?
    That means youre a determist right?

7. Don't label me. Definitions only lead to misconception. Just float on.

8. Okey but you believe that everything is determined and because of this our free will is just an illusion?

9. I ignore/dissociate from my ego. I just find myself doing whatever it is I'm doing. And that whatever it is I'm going to do next, we'll im 100% sure that I'm gonna do that too. Following the path of least resistance like a leaf in a stream. My ego gives me plans and sets up ideals that never manifest, so I don't trust it. The ego "makes decisions".

10. Okey i think im clear where you stand xD im pretty baked right now so lol 😅😇😇😇

11. I think all the dice were cast and we're just watching them decay.

12. We could say the universe began an infinity ago.

13. That could be a probability. Like the good person above us in the post said. He believes that the universe is and always will be infinite. I choose not to believe this because it to closely related to what people believed back before Einstein introduced relativity and even before hawking introduced the singularity. So which seems more possible? The universe was created by a tiny speck of energy that expanded in a millionth of a millionth of a millionth of a second to matter because the amount of antimatter was just a fraction less then matter or that the universe was not created, it just exists... i think that nothing can just exist and has to be created first.

14. The universe was believed to be slowing down after the big bang but is it really? Or is it speeding up so fast to the point where gravity can no longer hold things together and it rips the entire universe apart ,every particle would disband from their bonds and run around space. Nothing would ever come in contact with each other . So the universe would end. A quiet place where theres no light or sound, nothing ever happeneds.

15. Well I personally think that there has been plenty of time for the human race to see that all religions are false. As for humanity living forever.. provided that we don't go extinct from a natural or manmade disaster, then yes, we would be able to explore the cosmos forever. Thing is though, if the light barrier is unbreakable, we will never be able to travel faster than the speed of light which means there is a shit ton of the universe we will never see. Right now there are galaxies that are moving away from us faster than the speed of light (relative to our position in the universe).. an incredible amount of them, and unless we can travel faster than light, we will never be able to explore them.

Not many people believed or believe in an infinite universe. They say they do.. but a truly infinite universe wouldn't have a big bang that started the universe cause an infinite universe would not ever have an actual beginning.. and many people follow the big bang while attempting to follow an infinite universe. In the past, most people believed God created the universe.. and God too doesn't jive with an infinite universe, cause he would still be creating which would automatically cancel out the idea it is infinite. Unless you go with that all powerful crap and say it is possible for God to create something that is infinite in one shot. Einstein's relativity doesn't negate an infinite universe.. and you can actually extend the general definition of relativity to an infinite universe. That is why I said we appear to be in the center of the universe.. but if you were living in a galaxy 100 billion light years away, they too would appear to be in the center. All galaxies appear to be in the center of the universe from their relative point of view.

16. I didnt say relativity negated an infinite universe. I simply stated that it was before he proposed his theory.
    Which this belief of the universe has always been infinite is a little out dated. Although Einstein also didnt believe in the big bang and said it was philosophically unsatisfying.
    You have to admit that the big bang theory has changed science on its head.

17. It's not out dated because it was never a popular belief. That's like saying laser rifles are out dated.. lol, can't be out dated if it was never in season.

As for the big bang, I don't think it did. To me, the big bang theory.. while it is the leading scientific theory, is like Aristotle's birds. Thousands of years ago, Aristotle made the claim that birds hibernate for the winter. Of course today we know that no birds hibernate, they migrate. Anyway, he made that claim and for thousands of years.. people believed that birds hibernated. There were even other natural scientists who made claims of finding birds hibernating during the winter.. they even fabricated research papers for it. It wasn't until a couple hundred years ago that we learned birds don't hibernate. To me, that is the big bang. It was a theory created when we didn't have the knowledge we do today.. but since there has yet to be a better scientific theory created, we are stuck with the big bang theory. And actually, the main part of the big bang theory was because we saw the universe expanding away from us.. and that is how it got its name. It looked like a big explosion took place and that we were at the center of it, so it was assumed we were and that there was a cosmic explosion. Now though, we know we're not at the center of the universe.. it only looks like we are at the center. Just like with Aristotle's birds.. scientists are stuck with the big bang and therefore are making their data fit the theory just like how scientists made data to fit the theory that birds hibernate.

18. It was a popular belief actually. You probably just were not alive then.
    There are two main ideas to have been the norm back then. First, matter is eternal there for sense it was not created then it can not be destroyed. It is self existing and the prima materia of the universe.
    God to materialism is absurd.
    Then there is the bs that god is eternal and he created everything.
    The big bang theory has disproven this because energy created matter.

19. I'm not sure what to do with this.. lol The popular idea has been a multiverse with an infinite number of realities. Like I said, a lot of people say they believe the universe is infinite.. but they never actually applied the thought. If they did, they'd see there was no need for God, the big bang, or even infinite multiverses. Not to drag out the semantics of an infinite universe though.. just trying to help you understand, philosophically at least, as to what it would mean if our universe is infinite. An infinite universe can't actually be scientifically proven right or wrong though.. which kind of sucks, but there is enough that we know today to say that it is a strong possibility.

What that has to do with determinism doesn't cancel out determinism.. just makes it that there will always be a level of random action that would of been impossible to predetermine. For every action, there is an equal and opposing action.. so that means all your personal actions were the result of past actions. So it is easy for people to think everything is predetermined, but even easier to forget about chaos theory. Basically, since (if) the universe is physically infinite.. it will be impossible to know all the initial conditions. You can predict a lot and the majority of the time you might be correct.. might even be correct your entire life of predictions, but there is still a chance for a random event to take place that was unpredictable. With today's technology, we can read a person's brain and predict choices they will make.. but that too is never 100%. We might be able to determine what someone will do or say before they do it.. but due to the fact that nothing can be determined 100% in an infinite universe coupled with biological mechanisms that evolved to allow us freedom of choice, a person can randomly change what they were going to do or say. They usually don't.. they usually go with whatever brain activity was already determined, but there is freedom to go against the bias of your brain.

20. Everything is not predetermined. There are two observations that's prove this.

Determinism is is the belief that because every action has a 100% equal and opposite reaction, everything in the universe should be predetermined by the first action.

This is demonstratably false. The first action could not have had an equal and opposite preaction. It was spontaneous. The mere fact that anything exists at all proves things can happen spontaneously.

Secondly after that first spontaneous action, it is clear there were more, because the universe is not symmetrical as it would be if everything spread out in an equal opposite fashion.

Now days you don't see it because spontaneity happens on the quantum level. Macro systems don't show a significant effect.

If a ball bounces 0.0000000000000001 off because of a quantum flux no one notices. But over time these things shape the universe.

In out world things are predictable because of macro systems. A ball will always bounce back up. A hungry person will always seek food. But its still not 100% determined

-Yuri