PPMs vs EC

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dumme, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Just came from a different post but is seemed like a good idea to make it in its own post.

Why the hell is the USA so stuck on using ppm's? EC so much easier as a standard. When talking with ppm's, location is a huge life changer.

Imagine youre a new grower still figuring out his feel schedule. You go on the same sites you used for advice that made you choose DWC, and now your asking about ppm's. So you're talking to a guy, he's telling you that you're a bit low on ppm's. Come to find out after you've nutrient burnt the hell out of her, that the "well known" guy you've been talking to is in Australia and you're in the USA.
    Then, when you've been talking to this guy on what went wrong, another guy from Europe puts his two cents in.Just doesn't make sense to me. Why use ppm's?Every country has its own version of what the ppm scale is.

I'm in Maine, USA, btw.This started by, when I posted a question about my EC being too high. A guy responded with: " what's your ppm's?"I'm like: "what country are you in?"

Veteran growers should be making an example for new growers.

2. #2 GoldGrower, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
    I measure the EC in milliSiemens per cm (mS/cm). Converting to ppm is different depending what brand of meter you use but most multiply the mS/cm by 500 these days. Or 0.5 when converting from microSiemens per cm (μS/cm)
    But I do agree that ppm is a bit pointless when comparing your own reading with someone else's unless they are the same brand meter, or at least calibrated the same