People with Mental disorders

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Diomedes, Nov 12, 2015.

1. What do you guys feel goes on in their minds when people look at them, when they are faced with everyday issues a normal person would go thru? Do they feel frustration that they can't do the job, are they aware of what is going on or ate they so messed up they're ignorant? I just can't wrap my head around what's going on in their minds. Its sad

2. You should probably talk to a couple of people with challenges, that's the only way to develop sympathy or empathy with any group of people. You're making a pretty broad statement about "mental disorders," are you talking about people in wheel chairs, or just people with neurological deficits? Weird question, more weed necessary. You're sad, neener neener neener.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I think ignorance and mental illness are two separate things.

• Like Like x 4
  4. I think every person on the planet has some kind of mental disorder. It's just some people have better coping mechanisms than others. I think the majority of people with, what could be coined as 'mental disorders', are normal.

Some people have actual physical damage to the brain itself, which is a whole other debate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I wonder too, I have thought a lot about it actually, it's quite fascinating.

How do they view people we consider 'normal'? Do they see things more like a psychedelic trip or a dream? It depends on what type of mental 'disorder' we are talking about.

6. I just hate the stares. Quit fucking staring at me, I'm not plotting mass murder or anything, fuck.

• Like Like x 3
  7. there are a multitude of mental disorders ranging from mild to severe, and each may have their own particular symptoms

8. I may have a high horse position on this topic but I can differentiate among mental challenges, disorders, and illnesses. Considering challenges feats any person can accomplish yet difficulties arise due to lack of understanding, such as illiteracy. I myself, cannot even fathom what it must be like to struggle to comprehend the structure of words and numbers.

Disorderly conduct such as emotional instabilities like bipolar or schizophrenia I have some bondage to, since we all seem to have that one friend or family member with intense mood swings that we just can't grasp what makes them tick. And illnesses I refer to as things that cannot be inherently fixed but alter the mindstate in such a severe way that compatibility with the norm is just not feasible. For example, alcoholism, as it is currently understood drives people into intense poverty and homelessness, yet the simple solution to stop drinking is rarely ever approached as the alcoholism takes over the root mechanisms of brain function, rendering the individual incompetent. In that respect, any dependency on any substance could incur the same cost to the individual, with severity of consequences up to the risks and rewards the consumer is willing to go to in search of their remedy to pain. Kind of a touchy subject but just my two cents.

9. #9 STIGGY, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
    You made the list

just look at all of us Here

10. When one person suffers from delusions, we call it a mental illness.
    When society suffers from them, we call it being normal :D

11. #11 CoughTHC, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    From what I've seen everyone has some type of mental disorder. But when people look at me, hopefully I'm interesting enough to stare

12. 🚶

Attached Files:

13. I started taking the bus of late. Bottle of Brandy + car + pesky cops = Bus.

Anyway the route i take has a day training place for mentally challenged people and the bus is full of various characters with issues/difficulties. I often find myself sitting and talking with some of these characters. Some have nothing going on in their heads, they have one conversation they can have be it football, weather, etc etc.... Others are quite articulate and will engage in conversation on a variety of topics.

I like chatting to them, there is an innocence to them that is refreshing.

Typed on the bottom of a plump cherub

14. #15 SirInfi, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    I have a mental disorder, social anxiety.
    many people say they're shy, but rarely do I hear similar symptoms that I have.
    When speaking to a stranger, my vision stretches out and even if 2 feet away, it'll appear as 10 feet.
    my mouth gets sour.
    my neck freezes, my mouth won't move as fast as my mind.
    always feel poofy under my eyes when anxiety hits.
    and I'll talk in circles going nowhere.
    generally I'd love to be invisible.
    most of my grade school teachers have told my parents I needed special classes. I rode the short bus many times, and didn't speak to student and teachers until about 3rd grade.
    It's very challenging, cannabis has eliminated most of my symptoms though they do occur randomly.
    I'd have a much happier life if born normal.

15. I am someone who struggles with mental disabilities it's not easy and alot does go through my mind and most of the time I'm trying to figure it out dam self but wen I smoke it slows shit down and I can put things together and continue to try and survive in the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Most of my family have worked in mental health treatment, and my Uncle does a lot of work for a charity in the UK aimed at removing the stigma of mental health issues in media, and I used to work in the field myself before going to university.

Maybe ironically, I've also suffered with severe mental illness myself, having to be hospitalised several times.

The experience is obviously different for everybody, and it all depends on what is actually wrong - this is why mental health disorders can be so hard to diagnose. I can say that my experience with mental health problems has been horrific, and I wouldn't wish the things I felt and the things I experienced, and the sheer terror of my own mind and thoughts, on anybody.

Most mental health patients do know what is going on, they know they are ill and are generally like a normal person with an illness.

When you have a cold; you have unpleasant symptoms, sometimes you struggle to do simple tasks because of the cold. Mental Illness is much the same, it's an illness, which creates unpleasant symptoms, and these symptoms make day-to-day tasks very difficult, but unless you have an extremely severe disorder, you probably understand there is something wrong, and are coping with the symptoms like any other illness (except also with the severe stigma associated with it, meaning general difficulty in expressing your needs to other people)

17. Okay, first of all, people with mental illness ARE normal people. Abnormality is just whatever is less common or what goes against what we have been trained to believe as "right." Second, ignorance is not a mental illness. As someone with mental illnesses, if you aren't at one with yourself, you feel analyzed and disapproved of when people look at you. You may also feel like everyone is talking about you when you walk into a room. It's important to remember, "I matter, but not so much that everyone is concerned with me."

Also, what is a mental disorder? An abnormality in brain function and processing? Again, what is abnormal is only what we believe to be less common.

What about religion and spirituality? How is believing in a god who created the earth from nothing and controls everything not considered a mental illness? Why do people believe it's okay to believe in an idea only because it is widely accepted but someone who claims to be an alien from another planet to help bring in the Age of Aquarius where the world makes a physical shift into the fourth dimension is absolutely ludicrous?

Where are these lines drawn, and why? Who makes these lines?

As far as you know, mental illness is non existent. It's just a marker of a different type of intelligent being trapped inside a homo-sapien body.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. I feel like people who can't accept themselves are the people with mental illness.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. It can be argued that people who have been diagnosed with certain 'mental illnesses' are just people who understand a world in a different way. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy into the scientologist funded notion that psycology is evil, there are people who genuinely struggle with psychotic illness which needs to be treated as legitimate. Scitzophrenia, bipolar disorder for example are serious psychiatric problems that we should never delegitimize.

However, when we look at neurotic 'illnesses' like depression and anxiety that are completely over diagnosed, one could say that we are all anxious and depressed. And instead of thinking neurosis (depression, anxiety ect) as black and white (ie. "I was depressed. I took some medication. Now I'm cured") illnesses that can be cured, we should thinking of these feelings as a scale. And those who are struggling with said issues are just further in the scale or spectrum. Why are we pathologising normal human emotion? While struggling with depression for example can be a horrific experience (I should know, I've attempted suicide twice), pathologising the matter doesn't help at all. Calling an emotion (even a very strong emotion) an illness is actually granting more power to the emotion.

• Like Like x 1