Any Punkers here at all?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by stonerfriend, Nov 12, 2015.

1. I haven't looked through older threads, but from what I can tell there aren't too many (or any, for that matter) punks in these forums. If I'm wrong, feel free to light up this thread. Personally, I grew up listening to all the Fat Wreck / Epitaph stuff in the 90's, reading MRR before it really started sucking (it always kinda did though), etc. I still love all that old stuff, and even some newer shit in the genre, though I'm all grown up now and have no interest in "the scene", or the fucked up fun house mirror reflection of itself that it's become, in my humble opionion.

2. I listen a a lot of pop punk and "indie" punk. Would never use the word punker though

3. #4 KennyT, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    I lived in Huntington Beach in the late seventies,it was going off. I was at punk shows every weekend

I was listening to the damned, tsol, X just yesterday. I'm fuckin old

4. Well, as I've gotten older my vocabulary has somewhat gone out of style. "Punkers" were what my friends and I were referred to as back in the day. Shit, I still catch myself saying "how do you do?" in formal situations. That's a 70's phrase that my parents used to use. My friends and I also used to use the expression "mother's cunt" to express both frustration AND as a pejorative phrase to refer to someone as. For example, instead of saying "goddamn it", we'd often say "mother's cunt". Also, if we didn't like someone, we'd say "he's his mother's cunt" instead of "he's an asshole", etc. I really don't know where that came from and I have no clue if it ever caught on elsewhere. I still use it though.

5. That's awesome that you got to experience that. I was about 12-13 years old around the same time that the 2nd wave was starting to emerge, which was perfect timing. I was a little preteen metal head, and saw a Circle Jerks sticker on one of the guitars from one of the guys in Slayer, so decided to check them out. Didn't even know they were what was considered a punk band, but loved what I heard. Then I discovered Bad Religion, Pennywise, etc......Wouldn't have traded the friends I had in that scene or the fun times I had as a teenager because of it for anything. Great, positive, insightful music, lots of energy, great friends and good times!

6. Fuck yeah. I'm a punk rocker til the day I die. Finally a thread with good music . I love ska punk man. Catch 22, streetlight manifesto. Op ivy. Big d and the kids table. Best fucking music hands down. Rancid got me into the genre when I was 16. Nofx is cool too. Against all authority is sick shit. Same with propagandhi. Uhm what else.. Mustard plug, misfits, social d, casualties, man I can go on all day. Punk rock rules.

7. I kinda want to start using that phrase lol. I'm into 90s and 00s punk like nofx or the offspring.

8. Which phrase? "Mother's cunt"?

9. Yeah mothers cunt

10. #12 AnonymousBuds, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
    Misery, Behind Enemy lines, Aus Rotten, Left over crack, Nausea, Wrathcobra, Dronez, Varukers, Discharge, Disclose, Disrupt, Totalitar, Amebix, war collapse. Some bands in the Hardcore/Dbeat the "Punk" I listen to. Grew up in the 90's with bands like Aus Rotten, A Global threat, His Hero is gone, After the Bombs, the casualties many street punk bands and lots of crusty shit. Punk to me isn't a sound its a way of life. I never listen to the radio or big bands because there are way to many ppl doing it DIY in the underground. That's punk. I seen D.I. Tsol and fear back in 2004 they sucked ass, why because they are not even punk anymore. They are old and playing old songs while all the opening bands where angry kids bleeding there hearts out making Raw punk Noize now with current issues that piss us off. Don't get me wrong I have Some D.I. vinyls and love TSOL but their days as punks was long ago. The problems and issues we face as ppl has changed somewhat. There are way to many good underground DIY records and bands out there to support to keep the Music going instead of buying 35 year old albums that are now released on Some major label. Supporting your local scene now that's punk even if it hiphop music. Cheers hope this bands spark some interest.