Lucas formula w/ GH floranova + Epsom

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by dingdong, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Hi everyone,
    For several reasons (especially price and local availability) I've recently switched from using AN coco nutes to GH floranova with a little extra cal mag and/or epsom. My plants are looking AWESOME and I'm only using one bottle of base nutes at a fraction of the cost. My question is about the "lucas formula" which is originally 6:9 ml/gal GH micro+bloom, but supposedly can be substituted w/ GH Floranova @ 8 ml/gal + 1g Epsom/ gal for coco. Right now I'm at 5-6 ml/gal in week 3 of flower and it seems to be near the optimum for my plants at around 650 ppm. I'm sure it's not a strain specific thing since I have seven different strains going and they all look great. Anyway 8 ml/gal comes out to around 900 ppm by my reckoning, add 100 ppm Epsom salts and it's over 1000 ppm. Wouldn't that be too much for most indoor plants? I've tried feeding at that level before in previous grows and I got clawed leaves and airy, foxtailed buds that never filled out. Does anyone else here use GH floranova w/ coco and how much do you feed your plants?
    Thanks, happy gardening

2. I am right now currently experimenting In this right now I did half the Lucas formula and came out at about 730ppm and that's half of what he is going and then I did one at the flora chart drain to waste which will be posted and the ppm is at 592-600ppms and the chart is week 1 at half strength with 2.5 ml of calimag
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447302367.706038.jpg

3. I ran floranova series and never really went over 730-750 for the entire time flower/veg and the it came out amazing. I was in a similar situation with strain knowledge but floranova with a little cal mag is great and super stable

4. Not sure if you got all your answers, but here in what and how I use it.
    Botania Coco/Growstone 75/25 Hempy grow
    Modified Lucas formula (Heads) modified by 1/3rd.
    Calls for a 6:9 ratio, I use 4:6 with 2ml Cal/Mag and 1 gram epson per gallon. I had been using the full rate and your right it would come up around 900 - 1100 ppm, I now get 650 - 700ppm. I have been doing a test using 1ml Rapid Start, 4ml Floralicious plus, and 2ml Liquid Kool Bloom. and still around 700 - 750 ppm. I have had a hell of a time in the past not over fertilizing using Heads formula.
    Really like where I am now.
    GR

5. So are you currently using a third of the formula

KHALI's first grow
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1388184-Khali-first-grow-project

second grow
    ice &afghani grow
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1391811-Khali's--ICE-&-Afgani#1

6. khalikidmia87,
    I am using 2/3rds rate.
    I will be bumping this up at my next feeding to 5/6th rate. Ex. FloraMicro was 4ml/gal. and will be 5ml/gal.
    MicroBloom was 6ml/gal and will go up to 7.5ml/gal. The Cal/Mag and other additives do not change until I see how this effects my ppm. I may back off some additives, Floralicious and KoolBloom liquid by % if my ppm go over 800.

Thanks for the view.
    GR

7. I'm a little slow on the uptake with this thread here but I think gr865 has nailed it. Less than 800 seems to be way better for me, I did have a little K defiency towards the end of my last grow but I'm pretty sure it was related to the cold night temperatures near the end of flower, which I allowed to some degree to help finish my buds with a nice purple color. My purple trainwreck was so dark it was almost black at the end and when I made bubble hash from the trim it turned the water the color of red wine. here's a pic I took before trim.

Attached Files:

8. 6 ml micro 9 ml bloom is the 3had Lucas conversion for coco with s gram of eposm . I use a 1/4 tea spoon of eposm ever feeding . Close enough for me . I Feed every day . This is what 3had teaches in his old thread . This is what I do and my plants love it ... Reg Lucas is 8ml 16 ml ... Coco 6/9 but I find cutting micro back to 4 ml towards the end of stretch fattens up the buds better

9. I found 6/9 micro/bloom too strong for me in early flower and settled on 5-6ml/gal flora nova plus a bunch of additives I had laying around. It worked. Average yield was around .75g/watt across three gardens, not bad. Now i'm doing a soil grow partly to compare yields and effort spent, and partly because I got sick of measuring nutes every day or two. So far my soil plants are looking like they might win on both, though it's impossible to say for sure until it's all over. I'll let you know how it turns out.

10. #11 Errlenmeyer, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Delete