Isnt the United States flag as bad as the Confederate flag?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Nov 7, 2015.

1. First of all let me say, I don't support banning flags, I think a lot of this debate is a bunch of whiney bullshit and people just trying to score cheap political points.
    Wasn't it the United States flag waving for the most part, when there was a massive genocide of Native Americans, when they were deprived of their life, liberty and property and put onto crappy reservations?
    Wasn't it the US flag waiving during some 70 years of slavery?
    Wasn't it the US flag waving when the US engaged in imperialism and conquest of Mexico, the Phillipines, Puerto Rico and many other countries?
    Wasn't it the American flag waving during racial segregation post civil war?
    Wasn't it the American flag waving when nuclear weapons were dropped on Japan killing and maiming civilian populations?
    Wasn't it the US flag waving during the firebombing of Dresden?
    Wasn't it the US flag waving during the Vietnam War in which chemical agents like Agent Orange were used on civlian populations?
    Wasn't it the US flag waiving when Bush invaded Iraq?
    Wasn't it the US flag waiving when African Americans were infected with diseases like syphillis as part of medical experiments?

I can go on and on and on. If your not going to view the US flag as symbols of these horrors and hate then thats pretty hypocritical.
    I for one don't really care its a piece of cloth banning a piece of cloth isn't going to do shit. One could argue that the US flag should be even a bigger issue since it exists today, while the Confederacy has not existed for 160 years approximatly for most people thats ancient history. But for those who want to pat themselves on the back and revel in their self righteousness at least be consistent. It sort of reminds me of the kony bs from a few years back or that #saveourgirls thing about the girls kidnapped by Boko Haram. WTF is a facebook status or a hashtag going to change? Anyways feel free to add your own horrors that were committed under the US flag. And please discuss.

• Like Like x 3
  2. yes, they both burn at the same temperature.

• Like Like x 4
  3. I have seen the US flag burnt, never seen the Duke Boy's flag torched.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Personally I feel that one represents freedom and prosperity, the other represents an army that lost a war. I was raised in a military family and am biased to my patriotic ideals.

• Like Like x 2
  5. The one difference is tht the confederacy lost

well not rlly, keeping slaves was a big factor of motivation for the secession from the union, so in a sense the confederate flag represents something few would admit to be in favor of today

the union flag on the other hand represents the constitution. or the land, which is ruled under the constitution... or was... whatever

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yes only Americans do awful things, not PEOPLE. What about the Russian flag, and the AK? It is the most prolific weapon of death in the world.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Heard of whataboutism?

8. Topic related: Pretty much every flag and every country has some shit behind it

Some places in the world view the American flag with a sense of brotherhood and alliance

Others (understandably, y'guys'beendoin'sumbombin'forsumdecades) view the American flag like we view the Swastika

Perpective, and tribal bias

Flags and nationalism are for the easily-swayed fools anyways

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ever heard of making a foolish comparison to show how useless the original argument was?

10. [​IMG]

11. #11 roorforcrumble, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
    How can you even look at history from such a modern viewpoint? If you are reading history from the point of view of a modern person rather than putting yourself in the mindset of the times then you are missing key components of historical education. History is not black and white, and when you examine history you need to look at the conditions of the time. I'm sorry history and life are not perfect, they never will be but trashing a nation that just gives insane amounts of money to other countries all the fucking time and feeds people and gives them medical care. You all need to get out more, and grow up.

Why are we bad? Who have you talked to in the armed forces that is just like blah kill all people? No they are warriors, they want to protect something, they are not merely killers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I don't see why people get so worked up over a flag, it doesn't really matter in reality.

• Like Like x 2
  13. He knows nothing of England, he who only England knows

Rudyard Kipling said that, total badass

Do you grasp the context, given what you posted?

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 Deleted member 472633, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Hey bro, I could have gone on and on about other flags, but I didn't feel like writing an essay it only feeds into my point, most flags can "symbolize a shitty history you won't see me defending Russia that totalitarian shit hole.

As for the prog Obama lover guy don't pretend you give a shit about the constitution the constitution forbids half of the prog agenda especially the executive order bullshit.

Progs generally look at the constitution as an out of date document that prevents them from enforcing their utopian agenda at least be honest bro.

And as for the guy who said the confederacy lost so the US won and committed thousands of atrocities that still affectt peaple to this day i don't see how thats in its favor.

• Like Like x 1
  15. This is my point opposing a flag especially of a country that hasn't done shit in a 160 years doesn't accomplish shit.

16. You demeen the service of men and women who gave their freedom for the freedom of others, their safety for the safety of their home. Those that caught under the pretence of peace, freedom, and liberation of people in need. Regardless if the government manipulated these men and women in some way or not is kinda beside the point. These people should be thanks and looked after. The flag didn't do anything wrong, and the men executing orders executed orders. Be mad at some higher up if it makes you feel better I guess, but Damn man, on Veterans day weekend? Show some class, and or respect. Are you not American?

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

17. Weren't there hundreds of thousands that died for the Confederacy and tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands that were maimed? Weren't there millions who have died serving their own countries around the world? Besides you miss my point I understand that historically morality was different thats part of my point. In addition my post is directed towards those who oppose the Confederate flag and even want to see it banned but let the US flag go. My point it opposing a flag is pointless and hypocritical for those who oppose the Confederate flag yet don't oppose the American flag. My point is not to condemn a flag but to say it is irrelevant and pointless and historically ignorant, all flags pretty much have a dark history unless they were created virtually yesterday and even then it is a matter of time before they "symbolize" something bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dumb question

19. the only american "real" flag is the original 13 colonial states whos ppl came from Britian. they are mine and your ancestors. they made/designed every flag because noone is "technically" american, except for the natives. and every ideology that each flag stands behind was created and established by England folk. honestly i feel alot of patriotism and pride when i see a confederate flag. i would rather not waste time to see all the negatives just from a silly piece of cloth.

20. Former Marine here. Totally different perspective on my end so please don't play that self righteous military family card. It's old and tired.

Fuck the flag and everything it "stands for".

• Like Like x 2