New to cloning

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bigezy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Hi guys this is my first grow and I've decided to clone a couple plants. I've learnt how to clone but i was just wondering if there is anyway to tell if they have rooted yet?

2. #2 Ant Dog, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
    Put them in clear cups . You can give them a gentle tug and if they resist roots started but tug to hard and you can kill what baby roots have started so I would suggest a small clear cup . Good luck

3. I would be careful with a clear cup, as light can kill roots. I have a rooting tray that has a water basin (two piece rooting trays with a dome are like 5-10 bucks at lowes or gardening stores). It has holes on the bottom of each individual cell that I check weekly to see if roots have reached the bottom yet. At that point it's more than safe to plant your clone in a pot and start lightly feeding it. I also have a cheap meter that measures soil wetness and light, the light meter goes up to 2000 lumens, I prefer to keep my clones at around 200-400 lumens. That seems to be enough to keep them alive but isn't overkill. Take a lot of cuttings and mess around to find what technique works best for you, after 2-4 weeks you'll have it down and cloning will become the simplest part of growing. Good luck

4. Rock wool cubes is what I use and it's easy to see it's well rooted..
    [​IMG]
    Cloner with the humidity dome off for the photo
    [​IMG]
    Just how I get it done..
    BNW

5. Definitely get yourself a rooting tray if you're going to clone. That makes it as easy as it can be. Also, use the Rapid Rooter cubes to avoid root rot and slime in your tray....they are antibacterial. The rock wool cubes are much harder to deal with. I never put water in my tray...do the whole process with clonex liquid and a spray bottle and have a 99%+ success rate. TWW

6. true . Maybe I should of mentioned I put the clear cups in opaque cups and juts pull them to check for roots . My bad

7. #7 Ant Dog, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446920331.973016.jpg like so ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446920390.782924.jpg these are all rooted and being hardened off

I clone them in the fish tank on that tray . I keep the water level just below the tray heated to 90 degrees .. This keeps my media warm ( rapid rooters or coco ) whatever I have handy pretty much and the difference between water temp and air temps keeps the air very humid by creating lots of condensation . I keep the tank mostly open if not it gets to wet and rotting becomes an issue . My last batch took 9!days to root . Also I'm still learning . I have only been growing since late August but I'm having lots of fun ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446920642.309553.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446920688.083074.jpg what ever you decide have fun with it and keep leaning . It took me two tries to grow roots . First try they all died . Second try I got roots in 15 days . 3 rd try 9 days . What I'm trying to say is just practice and you will get it

Sorry to ramble on . I'm to high lol

8. Thanks everyone