Vertical LED Panels

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tommie Trichrome, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Hey GC world,

First time poster and i was hoping to share my grow journal using SunCloak's Vertical LED panels.
    I have used HPS and conventional HIDs my whole career and thought id post a tread of my transition and see whatcha think..

Some of my history: I have been involved in California's Medical Cannabis Industry going on 6 years now, working every nuanced niche from courier, budtender, vendor, inventory manager, analytics lab rep, medical delivery dispatch, to propagator.

⦁\tPrior to my induction into the medical field, I had worked everything from hydroponic nurseries to residential grows for about 3-4 years. This means I have tried almost everything, from different growing techniques to the technology I was using.
    ⦁\t Throughout my years growing, I have tried many manipulation techniques (topping, FIMing, super-cropping, monster-cropping LSTing).
    ⦁\t As well as different propagation methods (drip systems, ebb n flow, hand watering, NFT, Deep Raft, integrated hydro techniques)
    ⦁\t It's important to mention throughout all my years and experience, I have only been familiar with conventional HID lighting systems, by which I mean, either Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium systems, hung horizontally above the plant canopy. So any conventional propagation knowledge I have, I applied to my grow using the Suncloak LED system

Here is what I knew going into this grow. This LED system's output is about 84-112K lumens for a 4ft x 4ft grow table with an energy consumption of about 600-800 watts and substantially less heat generation than an HPS. I suspected that these features would lessen environmental adjustments (temp./humidity) and maintenance. And the vertical design would definitely penetrate upper canopy and possibly make the lower canopy

A summary of what I have seen with 3 weeks before harvest
    ⦁\tFaster plant growth and development during all stages.
    ⦁\tA proportionate weight of buds dispersed throughout upper and lower canopy.
    ⦁\tLess hassle, due to less environmental monitoring and adjusting.
    ⦁\tlower energy costs.
    ⦁\tCurrently trending toward better yields (though harvest is still 3 weeks)

Follow Along:If you would like to learn of the possibilities offered by LEDs and how to achieve similar results, while lowering your costs, please follow along on this thread. I have results throughout flower (up till week 6 of flower), along with pictures that chronicle my progress throughout the grow, using Sun Cloak LEDs. The posts to come will show my progress throughout the vegetative and flowering stage till we come to real-time updates chronicling my results through weeks 5 of flower-Harvest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be updating this thread with grow journal updates till it catches up to week 6 of flower and will show the results i'm getting running LEDs.

2. #2 Tommie Trichrome, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
    The grow journal info-Sun Cloak LED Lighting System

System: Sun Cloak 36” FULL SPECTRUM LED Vertical Panel Lighting System
    Plants Allotted: 9 (from seed/clone to harvest)
    Strain: Grape Ape Clones: Indica- Dark Heart Nursery (Sacramento Purveyor)
    Tech Specs: 800 w power usage/ as opposed to conventional 1000 w HPS systems. Specialized LEDs with a wavelength spectrum specially engineered for optimized results and plant utilization. An interesting vertical design too.

The Trial Run: (9 Grape Ape clones in a Sun Cloak 36” panel x9 plant System)

Supplies: 1 large bag of hydroton (for root aeration and drainage), 3 bags of FF Ocean Forrest Soil, 1 small bag of perlite. Nutes: Sensi grow and Sensi bloom, CalMag, FF Grow big, Superthrive, MOAB, Molasses. RO'd and Aerated filtered water source.
    Grow Area: 4'x4' Grow Tent from Lighthouse Hydroponic Tents (true 48” x48” spec tent)
    Propagation Method: Soil medium with Hydroton clay pellets at the bottom of the containers for drainage and root aeration, with regular scheduled hand watering/feeding.

Schedule of Plant Maturation: 1st) Clone Root Establishment: 1 week for clones to root and establish new growth (first new set of leaves) 2nd) Weening clones: from T5s to the Sun Cloak System for vegetative stage-1 week. 3rd) Vegetative Stage: 3 weeks in the Sun Cloak System. (total veg time- about a month). 4th) Switch to Flowering: Plants begin early flowering, and “the stretch” is seen. (1-2 weeks). 5th) Full Bloom: for around 4-5 weeks plants will be at one of their most productive stages, as size of the buds begin to swell (calyxes begin to mature and expand giving the buds substantial size and density.) 6th) Late Bloom: The final 2 weeks (8-9 week total in flower) are to allow the plant to ripen fully, and to reach the desired trichrome development (in between an opaque milky color to lightly turning amber- just before the THC-A starts degrading into CBN). Final Flushing) in the late bloom phase we will begin to flush frequently until harvest (1-2 weeks of flushing). 7th) Harvest Time.

Light Source: 1 Sun Cloak 800 w LED Full Spectrum System-84,000-112,00 lux output.
    Environmental Controls: 2 oscillating fans (1 large oscillating room fan & 1 small clip on oscillating in-tent fan), a portable 9000 btu room AC (set to 75 degrees F on energy saver, which means it turns on if the room temp exceeds 75 degree F) - NOTE: for the Sun Cloak system the portable AC isn't necessary, just a passive air intake and circulation)

My history: I have been involved in California's Medical Cannabis Industry going on 6 years now, working every nuanced niche from courier, budtender, vendor, inventory manager, analytics lab rep, medical delivery dispatch, to propagator. In addition, prior to my induction into the legal medical field, I had been working at hydroponic nurseries to residential grows for about 3-4 years. This means I have tried almost everything, from different growing techniques to the technology I was using. So my comprehensive knowledge of cannabis as a multi-faceted plant, was the basis coming into this trial grow. Throughout my years growing, I have tries my manipulation techniques (topping, FIMing, super-cropping, monster-cropping LSTing) as well as my different propagation methods (drip systems, ebb n flow, hand watering, NFT, Deep Raft, integrated hydro techniques), but it is important to mention throughout all my years and experience, I have only been familiar with conventional HID lighting systems, by which I mean, either Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium systems hung horizontally above the plant canopy. So any conventional propagation knowledge I applied to the vertical LED system.

Chronology of Growth
    ⦁\tStart Date: August 9th 2015
    ⦁\tAug. 9th- Purchased Supplies
    ⦁\tAug. 14th- Purchased Clones-placed under t5 2700k fluorescent panels (24hr for 3 days, then switched to 18/6 light cycle)
    ⦁\tSept. 4th - Put t5 vegged clones in Sun Cloak System to Veg further, to flowering stage.
    ⦁\tSept. 20th- Switched plants into flowering (12/12 light cycle)
    ⦁\tOct.- Nov. - All Flowering w/ increased nutrient uptake.
    ⦁\tNov. 20th- Foreseen Harvest Date

2 weeks under the vertical LEDs
    [​IMG]

3 weeks total- putting the ladies under the LEDs
    [​IMG]

3. LED Grow Journal update

-Finished veg. results using the vertical LEDs for 3 solid weeks. I'm pretty impressed by the tight internode development and the "bushiness" that i'm getting.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The plant separated from the grow enviro. to determine new growth and development
    [​IMG]
    The plant put back in the grow enviro. (next post will be the development in initial flowering)

4. Hi Tommie. So glad to have you on the forum and I am in LOVE with these lights you've got here. We've been in for about 4 years now and have flowered primarily with hps and veg with CFLs. We run 4 1000 watters for flower in a space maybe slightly larger than what you've got there. I generally flower 12 to 16 plants a cycle. I love the hps lights because the plants seem to love them so much (LOL) but hate the heat they emit and the power they consume...though I am lucky in that I'm married to an electrician who has created as efficient as system electrically as possible, but plan on introducing some LED's and maybe converting over to them completely next year.
    Talk to me a bit about price for this system. A fair estimate for our investment so far is probably about 10K overall and I don't mind spending money for equipment as long as I know I'm getting the best quality possible for the bucks. I've tried really hard to make sure everything we've got going is as top notch as I could afford and I know how expensive LEDs are...which is why I don't already have them. LOL I am following your journal and am anxious to see what your plants and buds look like at harvest...so keep us updated. TWW

5. October 9th, (A little past 2 weeks of flower)
    Hey all, just want to progress this journal so yo ucan see what i'm working with. this is the middle of week 2 and the development has got me smiling.Anyone else out there using LEDs seeing the same fast results with LED tech? Coming from a HPS/MH background, I was pretty impressed by the results i'm getting from these little diodes.

[​IMG]
    whatch yall think of the development coming into week 2 of flower?
    Im thinking its showing real vigor, but that just MO. My room hasn't hit higher than 80F the duration of this grow. I have my fans and ac on a timer and just come in now to feed and steer the plants growth. I mention this because I never used LEDs prior and so to have them running during the day and not have my room hit higher then 80F, puts my mind at ease, as far as environmental controls at least...

6. Hi all,

Ok, let me try and answer your questions. White Widow, I'm glad to hear your thinking of the transition. I am not trying to sell you anything, but I was in your same boat. I have for the past 7+ years used flouros for veg and HPS for flower (and yes, the ladies seem to love the HPS). with that said HPS isn't the only technology out there that can produce intense the lumen per watt outputs, and as technology progresses, LEDs as looking to be where its turning. The systems do have a initial cost that you would have to consider, but they pay for themselves in a single run (ime). Also with the low temps of LEDs and their LONG lifespan, you spend less time maintaining ambient room temps or replacing bulbs.

7. A guy, I think the 4x4 set up is a little cheaper then that. Or there is different options you can choose from. I went with the middle priced one.

8. Sorry but that's a waste of money REAL TALK. What diodes and what the efficiency is that light? Cool concept but a waste. Why won't they answer their phone I've called twice now I'll call again after this post.

9. I'd like to do something like this but with T5s on the sides and LED on top.

10. a little past 2 weeks of flower Cont.
    Feeding them daily now, and man their thirsty!
    I find that these plants are loving the light coverage and really showing me that their benefitting from these LEDs.
    BTW..my electrical bill tripped me out, since it was so much lower than I expected. I had always heard that LEDs consumed less energy, but I always thought it was a marketing ploy, but the proof is in the bills. I will try and see if i can figure out how I can post the cost on my bill, so you all can see just what i'm talking about.

[​IMG]
    just in the middle of the 2nd week the pistols are stretching and secondary and support foliage is beginning to develop....Yee
    [​IMG]

I'm getting great result with this run, and I think I will be pulling exactly when I projected at either 8 or 9 week (i'll let it go to 9 if it hasn't turned enough color yet)

Please keep me posted, what do you think, this is my first time with LEDs and I want to know how you seasoned LEDrs are doing things and what you all think. Advice opinions, comments,constructive-criticism all welcome.

11. A guy, thanks! I agree integrating is a good way to transition, or even just to "test the waters" by testing LEDs as supplemental lighting. but once you try LEDs I think you will find they can offer way more than just supplemental lighting. But once again this is something that you'll have to try for yourself. Im hoping that my results will help people who have a stigma against LEDs to have a paradigm shift towards their ability, and that rather than just committing to the transition, they can go to threads, like my LED journal and see actual results, before just cashing in wholly on LEDs.

12. Hi GC Forums

Back with some more pics coming into week 3 of flower.

Im seeing the "swell" coming and looking good. tell me whachu think...
    BTW I appreciate any and all comments, and am open to advice and questions, and starting a dialogue with anyone willing to learn, or anyone who feels like they have some input, as I mentioned LEDs are not my original forte, so post your experiences or advice. Im open[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    based off my experience, these ladies are looking pretty nice for the 3rd week of flower. Something im curious about, which some of you RIU experts out there might know, how do LEDs do with plants that have a genetic propensity for late flowering color (GDp, Grape, GSC ect....) Mine in week 7, are starting to turn color, but does anyone know if it's just a time/maturity thing.

13. I dont have much input but I like your garden and can't wait to see the harvest. Keep on coming with the updates

14. Flowering a week later Oct. 18th (beginning of week 4)-initial signs of “bud swell”

October 18th 2015

⦁\tAs the buds start to put on their initial weight during the 4th week of flower, I noticed that the lower canopy was growing at a similar rate and size, as the upper canopy.

⦁\tDue to the SC LED vertical panel design, light is able to penetrate to the lower canopy. What Iv'e seen, as a result of this light penetration, is larger lower canopy growth that's more comparable to the growth of secondary top Kolas.

⦁\tFor me personally this was big! No more “Lolli-Popping” lower branches or just striping them in hopes it diverts the energy to the upper canopy. Now, as a result of the evenly dispersed light penetration, the lower canopy can not only be salvaged, its size and quality will contribute to the overall yield.

The Upper Canopy
    [​IMG]
    Size and Maturation in comparison to the lower canopy..(lowest branch to the container)
    [​IMG]
    So something that I'm noticing is that the size of the lower canopy is growing comparable to the size and rate of the secondary, upper canopy "Kolas"...

If you have liked this grow journal so far, you all are really gonna like weeks 5-7. (its when things get real chunky)

15. Wow...the rate of progression is amazing. Guess I know what I'll be saving up for next. Just when I thought I had everything I needed for awhile. LOL I love to get now grow toys though. TWW

16. October 20th 2015-2 days later (end of week 4 of Bloom)
    Hey all, Tommie Trichrome checking in again..

At the end of the 4th week of flower here and the terpene production is really ramping up. (I can smell my house before turning down the block)

This is what I like to see at this stage, the "swell or chunk" starting to show... from here, to pretty much the end of week 7 is where the calyxes really begin to beef up.

[​IMG]
    The development and shape of these nugs has that standard GDP, Grape ape strain quality to their appearance and smell, but further, in this stage they are gaining their density.

[​IMG]

Throughout this grow journal, reviewing the SunCloak system, I haven't had any negative hindrances so far... As long as I feed them daily, and maintain the container moisture, this is really automated system. I just feed/and water and let the plants do their thing, and haven't seen any bleaching, stress or adverse signals, which the plants display when stress'n.

The ambient environment stays consistent (hum/temp), which means if I don't have to worry about the grow environment, then that gives me the time to utilize my energy elsewhere.

Let me know whatcha think? Advice? Just learning these LEDs myself so I'm super open to thoughts or criticism.
    THX Community.

17. Do leaves burn if they grow into the side lights? And can I link this in the diy led thread and see what some led experts say about building one?

18. You think you are fooling people. I know man keep it up and there will be an exposure this don't feel right. I called again and no answer but you are posting in different forums with these light and can't say or won't say what diodes you are using. That makes me see that you are the owner and trying to play the forums. I call bullshit I'll let others report you and the other forum I'm gonna post about you REAL TALK.

19. Is he secretly trying to sell these lights by making a grow journal? If so hes not doing a good job because no one seems to be buying them up

I'm sure every led company has your number on the do not answer list..CAPTAIN TALK

• Like Like x 1