Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What do you all think about professionals using marijuana, medical or recreational?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by StonerPharm, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Professionals being lawyers, judges, business executives, doctors, pharmacists. Basically anyone who isn't considered to have an occupation but rather a profession. I personally think that whoever wants to use it should, but I am biased and am looking for supported reasoning behind the opinions so I can better understand the arguments being made.

2. Don't see the problem as long as they are responsible about it.
    They wouldn't be high at work.
    :smoke:

3. Well its safer than alcohol or other hard drugs that most people in those professions use, and all the professionals that I know smoke it and they are really smart hard working people.

4. I know plenty of folks that smoke in the legal world. Never ever would I go to court or meet w clients high.
    That being said, not everyone adheres that.

5. My 'of counsel' used to advertise in High Times and has been to Amsterdam to judge Cannabis Cup more than once...doesn't seem to have impacted his career or the ongoing health of our practice...

Just don't do like the attorney in Louisiana who accepted pot in barter for legal work...somewhat surprisingly, he got his felony dropped to a misdemeanor AND kept his Bar card.

6. Let's say you are scheduled for brain surgery. Would you prefer a surgeon that smoked weed?

7. Presuming they are competent at what they do and are not under the influence at the time I am on the table, I don't care if they did or didn't smoke marijuana. True professionals do not let their off-hours habits intrude upon their professional obligations...

8. I just retired as an air traffic controller and I promise you I could not smoke and do my job safely. I'm not talking about going to work high of course I'm talking about smoking at all. It's only been since May and I can tell a huge difference in my thought process. It is much slower and I get a mind lock trying to remember things.

I am all for totally legal pot. I will never support safety related jobs allowing pot smoking.

Firemen
    Policemen
    Controllers

They all get paid more than the average joe because more is asked from them. Their careers don't last as long and so on.

Doctors? I agree with grasscoty I don't want my surgeon smoking at all for that matters I would not go to a family doctor that smoked either. Sorry as you get older it's already hard enough to get good care and proper diagnosis on ailments.

9. Oh and for the others? Judges might loosen their sphincter a bit smoking, lawyers? Bleh, I have nothing good to say about a vast majority of them. Pharmacy employees? I rather they didn't but now things are so automated so I really don't know. Business executives? Hahaha. Too laughable. Very few of them do anything of significance.

10. I smoke at least once a day and do not experience fuzzy thoughts or slowness.
    I think it varies a lot depending on the person and their usage.

11. I totally agree, I had to push myself every single day to do the best at what I did. Overtime for my entire career, shift work and working short for most of it also. I am not complaining, I signed up for basically "Anything" when I got the gig and it did allow me to retire at 50, just saying I was pushed to my limits on a regular basis.

I think if I had retired, waited a year and then smoked I would probably say the same thing. I should also say I only medicate during the evening and I think part of my "Inability to think clearly" or mind lock is due to pain. I used to LIVE on Advil, now I never take it. Pot makes my life livable without the BS over the counter drugs I was taking.

12. Some things that are abused may not be discussed here.
    There was a study out last year (I think) that did show a bit of slowing or haziness in new users. After 12 - 24 months they were not only back up to speed with their peers, but often were more efficient than their peers.

13. I am absolutely fine with the idea, as long as they aren't playing the fucking flip-flop game of smoking it in private, yet denouncing and/or lying about it publicly. Plenty of professionals in many occupations have been able to enjoy it and still be able to perform their duties throughout the ages, so why would it make any difference now that they can be more open about it? I feel like the only thing that has changed is that you'd have more scrutiny on any and all mistakes, now that your usage is known. Which, depending on how you look at the situation, might be a plus for those types working in dangerous/high profile fields. As long as it's setting a good example and precedent for others, all for it over here!

jah!/*d$*[​IMG]

14. I fly airliners.....and only when thoroughly baked.

Enjoy the flight ladies and gentlemen. :)

15. As long as they're not high on the job or hypocrites about it.

They do some really stressful work and stress can kill you. And if a person has to de-stress off the job, I can think of far worse things like alcohol, tobacco, overeating, addictive pharmaceuticals (whether prescribed or not, and some doctors get themselves really messed up on stuff, even on the job), and really nasty illegal drugs.

I'd rather my doctor were using cannabis on his/her free time (as long as they're not on call) than drinking to unwind because that could lead to full blown alcoholism and that could adversely affect patient care.

16. Once the high becomes a normal part of the day (after years of being high all day everyday) it becomes extremely easy to function even at the most demanding jobs. I would not recommend someone who is new to smoking to try and do a regular job while high.

I remember when i was younger and first started smoking all day everyday it would be tough for me to manage my job as a delivery driver. But now i can be high all day, wake up at 5 am, head to work and install life saving fire alarm systems all day

17. #17 Grizzly Tracks, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
    I like to know my surgeon is a stoner.

Hey, he has rights too!

18. My opinion is that anyone should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies on their own time.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for an employer to disallow intoxication at the workplace. I think it is completely unreasonable to tell an employee anything about what they can do outside the workplace, so long as it doesn't prevent them from doing their work. (E.g., if they get arrested and tossed in jail, that would impact their ability to do their work...)

Judge employees based on the quality of their work and other aspects related to what is best for the company.
    If someone is doing good work, it makes no sense to fire them for something they do off the clock.
    (And if they are doing bad work, it also doesn't make sense--instead fire them for not doing good work.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 K1ngkaos, Nov 21, 2015
    pretty much 70% of people drink alcohol , once this nation gets legalized more and more and the average joe starts picking up the joint, it's going to be just like alcohol, but just the people who take it in moderation will be able to operate and function perfectly, just like alcohol though, weed can make you hooked too, for some people.

edit: sorry if any of this is hard to read, i'm really baked right now

20. #20 narcissistic, Nov 21, 2015
    As long as their credentials are & record is as good or better than someone that doesn't....... I think I would be fine with it.
    I know a Fire Capt. that only smokes during long vacations, so big deal.
    He's one of the best at what he does. Those fucking ladders go pretty high. [​IMG]