First time small scale cfl grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by virginislandsherbs, Oct 28, 2015.

1. #1 virginislandsherbs, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
    This is my first time, so im starting off with one plant. After 5 wasted seeds, I finally see something popping from my rockwool. My mistake was simple. Temp to high killed it. But I got one going nicely so far. When the time comes I'll be using a bubbler. Here is what I have so far.
    Hydroton pebbles
    1.5" grodan cubes
    5gal bucket
    Lid with net pot built in
    1 eco air pump @44.3 GPH
    Cylider shaped Air stone a little bigger than the cubes
    Air tubing
    2 giant CFL (300w eq./ 68w/ 4200 lumens/@2700k)
    4 cfl (160w eq./32w/ 1800 lumens/@6400k)
    GH Maxigro npk 10-5-14 for veg
    No nutes for flowering yet. I plan on using GH as well.
    My tap water ppm is 500+ ppm. I plan on using a Brita to filter tap water and let sit out in sun for a day or 2 with plastic wrap covering to prevent any foreign objects from falling in. With this interfere with the evaporation of chlorine. Do you think the Brita will do a good enough job I plan on changing the filter every other time I fill the bucket. Suggestions welcome.

2. Look into advanced nutrients, their tailor made for cannabis and the balance your pH for you. Their lineup is pretty simple too, and pH neutral.

3. So "advanced nutrients" is the brand's name? Speaking of ph I forgot to mention I also have bought ph down. my ph meter is for soil its a 3 way light moisture and ph. Not ideal for hydroponics but it gets the job done.

4. Thank you much for your input

5. #5 virginislandsherbs, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
    Current status of seedling (day 4)

Attached Files:

6. It was a Bag seed from gorilla glue#4 and I have like 8 of those left and 1 bag seed from some XJ13. I hope these seeds come with similar phenotypes of the general strain. I don't know who the grower for that dispensary was, where he got his seeds or clones or what strain's pollen impregnated the bud so there are so many possibilities. I'm just hoping for the best. All of my gorilla glue seeds did come from one big nug though.

7. I can't call this gorilla glue any more lol. I'm a label her sharkiesha

8. On my MaxiGro bag it says it has 6% Calcium and 2% magnesium will this be sufficient or should I supplement with Calmag

9. Also do you think this light is too close to the seedling. Right now it's like 5 inches away.

Attached Files:

10. I'm surprised at the lack of interaction. Is this because I'm a newbie and no one cares? Am I being too small scale for ya?!! I would really appreciate suggestions though

11. You dont need maxigrow, I used maxibloom for both veg and flower and koolbloom powder booster the last 3 weeks, you can follow the lucas formula if you are going to use GH.
    Your tap water is very high, you might want to consider usgin a RO filter.

12. #12 virginislandsherbs, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
    So this is day 6 of the plants life(counting from the day it popped from the rockwool). Sorry for terrible pic quality. Currently no roots showing from rockwool yet. I had a scare this morning. When I woke up the rockwool smelled super musty, but after reading up I think it'll be fine. I fed it nutes for the first time yesterday. Also I realized I had been watering too often as I only let the rockwool get close to completely dry twice. Considering these conditions and what I have read, I assume over watering slowed root development and possibly caused the smell. Yesterday I fed it for the first time. Maxigro @1/6 strength 5.8 ph. I dipped the bottom half of the cube in the solution for about 10 seconds. I figure if it needs more nutes it'll show me. I'd rather under feed and correct than over feed and correct. Suggestion. Input. Needed.

P.S. looking at some other videos grow journals and pics it seems as though my plant is a little behind the growth curb. It is about 1.5 inches tall and it's longest 1st true leaf is about 3/4 inch long. Could this be part of the genetics, considering it did pop out 3 cotyledon and 3 1st true leaves. Am I worrying too much.

Attached Files:

13. #13 virginislandsherbs, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
    Thanks for the input Tropicaze. I did some reading and think I'll stick to Maxigro for veg and use Maxi bloom for flower. Im kinda confused on how the lucas formula works so well. The nitrogen is low in maxibloom compared to the maxigro. I am worried I might have nitrogen deficiencies or something of the sort. If you can elaborate on why maxibloom would be better I would probably switch over. I need that's enlightenment:D.
    Also I have searched high and low to find a way to cost effectively avoid buying an R/O filter. I just didn't feel like dropping $120 on my first grow for that. It looks like that's exactly what's gonna happen. And if I don't grow much after this at least I don't have to buy bottled water anymore right.:)

14. #14 virginislandsherbs, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    Also, how would I get this thread moved over to absolute beginners. I think it would be better suited there or somewhere else. Recommendations anyone

15. Maxibloom has everything the plant needs, I had no deficiencies with it, it might not be the best nutrient solution but it is the most cost effective and it works.
    Use bottled water for your first grow, you do not need to change your water solution every week, on my current DWC grow I went the fist 30 days without needing to change the water.

If you rock wool cube stinks your problem might be algae or rot, I recommend you get that cube in your medium asap and have H2O2 in hand if you don't already have a plan to deal with root rot.

16. When I was awoken this morning the rock wool was dry and the leaves seemed quite "droopy" (couldn't think of a better word). I just transplanted into the bubbler and have the water level about an inch into the netpot. The light bulb is currently 4.5 inches away. It was about 6 or 7 inches away before I transplanted. I'm just not sure if this is the way the leaves should look and would appreciate any input. I was also wondering if I should put the rockwool deeper into the net pot. Should it be covered with the hydroton. I have seen it done different ways and was wondering which would be better for me.

Attached Files:

17. Also a good note to help with a diagnosis is the fact that I have only been using my 2700k bulb. Both of my 6500k bulbs blew out. I read that although 6500k bulbs are the proper bulbs to get the best results during veg, 2700k would work ok. I will attach bulb related pics

18. I will never figure out how to post a properly oriented picture with this app

Attached Files:

19. always take pictures in landscape.

20. Aaaahh. I see^_^