Greenhouse guerilla winter

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by Odissey, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Dear all,

I arrived at my country late this year, and planted some autos outdoors in the middle of august, which I had to harvest early because its starting to rain very frequently and they were beggining to be infected with mold.

However, I would still like to continue to grow through the winter, because in my country the temperatures don't get any lower than 3-5 ºC and I figured that with a greenhouse they should be fine temperature wise.

I have an idea on how to do it but I would like your opinion if its feasible or not.

So I thought of digging large and deep holes in my grow spot (which is in the middle of nothing), put the plants there and then build some small greenhouse "roof" in the top to prevent the rain from coming in. Do you think that is feasible? If so have you done it in the past? What materials would you recommend to use?

Thank you all,

Best Regards

2. Whats you country ...?

as it has a big influence on the local climate or whether you get good weed or not

I'd avoid until the winter solstice is done, that way its all down hill to spring and that warm weather

consider growing indoor until then, autos can do well with 3-4 cfls

3. Well I live in Portugal, winter gets cold but not that much, and its sunny very frequently.
    I thought that by digging and building a cold frame they would be at a good enough temperature. Right now, indoors is not an option so that's why I considered this.