3 week old Pineapple + bagseed grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by floridaganjagal, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Fingers crossed this pineapple turns out to be a female. The bag seed grow is for fun.
    The pineapple is outside in the sun, bag seed in window.
    Using jiffy natural and organic seed starter.

Attached Files:

2. This is my third grow. First attempt was successful, however it wasn't a large yield. Buds were thin and airy. Used organic MG soil and feed the first time, now I'm using Jiffy Natural and organic seed starting mix and have used the organic MG feed but Im not sold on that.
    It seems, from reading the forums, that everyone uses different soil mixes and feed.
    Do outdoor plants need less food then indoors? It seems the indoor growers are always feeding their plants. I know its different, but I know there are better things out there then i'm using.
    I think my soil is alright. For feeding someone recommend Osmocote. I found this easily, however it says it will feed for 4 months! I'm thinking this can't be right for marijuana, could it?
    It just seems like most growers are always giving their plants supplements, but Im sitting here twiddling my thumbs wondering if what I'm doing is enough.
    Btw second grow was lost to gender.
    Thanks in advance

3. Here are the soil ingredients and the MG organic ingredients.

Attached Files:

4. Not to be critical but.. Ohh hell I just can't help myself.. Clay pots suck as they dry out super fast even when you coat the inside with coal tar and that one doesn't look like it's been sealed..
    [​IMG]
    The size is good as I'm a believer in starting in small pots and transplanting up in small steps.. Look for square pots as you can as I feel they promote better root branching as I don't find the coils of roots at the base like I do in round pots..

[​IMG]
    Jiffys don't disintegrate fast enough with our short lived plants to be really effective.. They hinder more then help or so it seems from what I've read.. Not 1st hand experience mind you.. And again they have fast drying issues..
    LOL now that I've picked your grow apart I'll say your baby pineapple looks really good.. I usually don't pay close enough attention to the small fry and they get a bit toasted looking..
    I start both my seedlings and my just rooted clones in 3x3x3 plastic cups.. The small size lets them dry out reasonably fast keeping the tiny plants from drowning.. Lift to tell when to water.. Overwatering is the #1 new-bee mistake..
    [​IMG]
    This tray of 16 just came out of the cloner and need to be treated with care and low lighting until they root a bit in soil..
    BNW

5. Thank you so much!😊 I'm happy to take advice, after all it is helpful criticism.
    I thought the clay pot may have been a mistake as well. I started my last plant (male) in that pot and the dirt was still fresh so one went out and the seedling went in. Then I thought, "why did i do that" its tougher to remove.
    I take the plant out of the jiffys before I transplant. I felt like it restricted growth.
    Now I just need a female. 🙏

6. #6 BrassNwood, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    Since your working with regular seeds I'd fire at least 6 total.. While the law of averages says half will be female all to often you get 5 or 6 males.. My good luck my second summer season I fired off 6 seeds.. They all got to about 6 feet tall and flowered male.. I was so heartbroken..
    Give up a bit of info on your space or plans and I can better help tailor my advice or direct you to where you need to be.. I do most of my work with clones and only deal with seeds as I want to add new strains or if I'm testing for someone..
    I usually take clone cuts from all the new strain seedlings while in veg then flower the original plants and toss the male cuts.. That way my new cuts have always been in veg and never flowered and pulled back.. It's a small detail but I've found some strains just don't come back from the edge of flowering..
    You won't have that option yet so your 2 choices are the old fashioned way of either just growing them all to flowering size.. Set out and then scrap the males.. But damn I hate ripping out big plants.. Or grow them till old enough to sex.. Flower just long enough to sex then scrap the boys and put the remaining girls back under 24-0 lighting to pull them back to veg.. Make sense??
    LOL if not just say so and I'll explain in more detail..
    AHTH (always happy to help) BNW

7. Subbed and following! Yeah those clay pots I hate em def not helpful to the grow and I had the Florida humidity cause some horrible mold growth on the ones I had. Had to transplant the babies out of there quick like! I've been using the plastics similar to brassnwood n having a better response too.

8. Nice work Brass . Listen to the man. You won't go wrong.
    Good luck Gangagirl .

9. Thanks!
    My plans are to grow 2-4 females. Im going to continue germinating some more seeds over the next few days. I have some bag seed to check on today as well. They weren't all ready yesterday, so hoping today they will be.
    I'll be doing them all in pots, probably 5 gallon buckets. I want them to get a little bigger then last time. I have full sun all day in my yard and a privacy fence so I'll be alright.
    As far as watering, it seems like the plants are usually moist no matter what. I rarely need to water.
    For food I really could use help with this area. I used organic MG. I've been following the instructions. It says to use every two weeks for houseplants, but surely this can't be right, can it?
    They're in seed starter by jiffy, should I transplant them to something else?
    Also, I will add some supplemental lighting.

10. That didn't take long. Now hopefully thats a girl.

Attached Files:

11. Yeah I'm n 3 and 4 gallon proley go to a 2x2x4 hole and see what happens this winter! I can build a small green house but I know nothing about that

12. One thing I learned the hard way with aboveground pots was to either shade them with a towel or paint the pots white.. Buy white pots if possible.. My hydro store does have a selection of whites..
    Hot roots are sure death to a plant.. Lowes carried a food grade white 5 gallon bucket that makes an acceptable planter.. I use a pair of them as SIPs.. ( self irrigated planters ) but I live in the blast furnace dry southwest so I don't know if you'd need for them..
    [​IMG]
    My family of 3, 5 and 20 gallon SIPs.. The 3's proved to small for my needs but the 5s and 20s are still in use..

[​IMG]
    That center cup is the wicking cup and stands a bit taller then the rest so it protrudes up through the support plate.. Has slits in the side to admit water..
    BNW

13. I have a girl as Im seeing white pistols, however it is only 4 weeks. 😫 should I attempt to push this back into veg with added lights even for a couple of extra hours a night?
    What are you using for your outdoor light supplements BrassnWood?

14. #15 BrassNwood, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    I'd been ready to upgrade from my CFL filled cardboard veg boxes a while when I found 2 T5 High Output fixtures at Home Depot and got them for about half price.. A few weeks later I picked up 2 more and expanded my veg space again..
    [​IMG]
    My old setup was 8 CFLs in each box so when it was time to re-lamp it was cheaper to just scrap it all and start fresh with some 4 foot fixtures..
    [​IMG]

I did use some high power solar lights with some success but they didn't quite do the job Dec and Jan and my veggers started to flower
    [​IMG]
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Outdoor-Solar-Black-LED-70-Lumen-Spotlight-SS23C-M8-BKT-CPK1/204471418?MERCH=RV-_-rv_homepage_rr-_-NA-_-204471418-_-N This light on it's lower 35 lumen 10 hour burn time setting.. A cheap CFL in a clamp on fixture would work just as well but I didn't have power where I was trying to veg and didn't want to run a long cord across the lawnhttp://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-75-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-HD-200PDQ/205139241 clamp on.. It doesn't take a lot of light to keep the plant awake-vegging.. About 2 or 3 times a full moon near as I can figure.. I used a smaller 5 lumen light on a small male and held him in veg several months outside..
    BNW

15. Shes so small. Im transplanting her today into a bigger pot and outta the clay one. Supposed to be nasty hot today.

Attached Files:

16. Looking good ganjagal! Your so lucky to get advice from BrassNwood! "Subbed",good luck!!! :)

17. Yeah those clay pots dry out very quickly

18. Should I take a cutting or not? The bag seed grow is slow for some reason. Its like its just crappy...bottom line bad genetics.
    Ive never taken a cutting but im worried that if I dont, Im not going to have any type of good yield.

19. #20 floridaganjagal, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
    She still seems to be growing taller, I thought they stopped at flowering. Its great that its growing but if its not in full flowering, I could take a cut of it so i can at least have two plants with decent genetics.