***Adjustable height SCROG D.I.Y. Ideas? Pics? Input? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Snowbum415, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Hey Guys,

So after 2 runs of doing a combo of topping, LST (spending countless hours tying down plants), and then covering everything with trellis netting and having less than optimal results, I am switching to SCROG. Yes, I am aware that there is a lot of setup and training involved, but I am positive that the increased yields will be worth it, and I am betting that the hours I put into it will not be too much more than the time I have spent doing LST.

What I am hoping someone can help me with is designing the SCROG to be height adjustable. I am planning on using PVC as my frame, and want the height of the screen to be adjustable about 6-12 inches. Say, something like a range of 8 to 14-20 inches above the top of the pot. Any input on this height range from experienced scroggers is appreciated.

Also, I am looking for a design that is not very time consuming and cheap, and also something that I can re-use. I need to make (12) 4x4 screens so a simple, quick and economical design is key. If anyone has pics that would be amazing as I am more of a visual learner...

Thanks guys, any input is appreciated!!

2. #2 TinTizzy, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
    smaller pvc inside a larger one with something to hold it up like zip ties or those green garden ties you could reuse those.. you could also mark each inch so you can keep em all even

• Like Like x 1
  3. Any space below the net should be minimal. This space doesn't produce buds so don't spend time growing it out. Keep the net around 8" allows you to start training on the net so it fills up quicker.

All PVC scrogs I've seen have been flimsy. You will be leaning on this so it should hold your body weight when you're training. Not all your body weight but when you're leaning over a net, over time your back starts to ache. So being able to put a hand on the frame helps a lot.

I use 1.5" x 1.5" square boards and build one. It lasts forever, sturdy and you only have to make one once. Bending over 12 4x4s will bother your back so it's something to consider.

Scrog is the best and takes less time than LST IME.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445841916.964547.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445842121.372105.jpg

I divided it for the previous grow for two strains. I wouldn't do that again but that's why there's a bar in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Great idea for the adjustable. Super simple!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good point about being able to lean...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice! Scrogging is tedious work. Anything to make it easier is awsome!

8. Why do you want it adjustable? 8-10 above the pot. You pull the plants down, not raise screen up. I LST in veg. I use pipe cleaners- no tying. My pots have a rim all the way around. Bend a hook that'll grab the lip, pull ur branch down and bend the pipe cleaner around it. 15sec. Plus u can re use them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Add a little sand or such inside the pvc to weigh it down. As far as height adjustable buy 4 eyelets screw them in the cornes and buy some adjustable hangers. problem solved!

10. Ok...disregard my previous reply. My first run 8-10" worked great...great results. Been doin alot of LST on this run...threw my net in 8" above pot..shit my plants are still 3" below. I'm on board with adjustable. Pickin up 1" pvc to slide around 3/4" legs..drill holes every inch...like mentioned above. Plants are about 20" wide only 5" above bucket..dont wanna wait for 3" of vertical growth. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 DoctorDankenstein, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
    I made an adjustable screen using wooden rulers, dowel rods, some rubber bands and some string.

Tools needed: drill, 1/2" drill bit, wood glue, clamp.
    Materials: 4-4ft wood rulers, 4-1/2" x 4ft dowel rods, some string, 4 rubber bands.

1. Cut the rulers to the size you need to make a frame. Use wood glue on the corners, clamp them down and let them dry.
    2. Drill small holes in even intervals (do the math) so you can feed the string for the net through.
    3. String the net.
    4. On the corners, drill the 1/2" holes so you can insert the dowel rods as legs. Use the rubber bands to hold the screen at the correct height you want.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance to take them. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  12. [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. So is this going to be strong enough to hold up the net if it gets heavy from colas ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. first time growing sorry for dumb question

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1