First Timer: 3 Autos and a Fem

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by MetroBGB, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Anything read in this threat is purely fiction, there is no truth behind any of this and any photos posted have been photoshopped and altered or taken from the internet for entertainment purposes.

So I have read tons of threads watched tons of youtube videos and decided to jump head first into this.

I puchased:
    (2) 300 watt Mars-Hydro LED lights
    (1) 4 x 4 x 6.5ft indoor grow tent
    General Hydroponics Nutrients
    Gen Hydro PH up and down, and also the tools associated with PH
    (3) Vision Amnesia Haze Auto
    (1) Advanced Seeds Bio Diesel Mass
    (1) Holy Grail 69 sent as a free seed
    Puchased through Herbies.
    (4) 5 gallon dwc buckets with airstone and pump.
    Excuse my grammer and typing im doing this all from my phone LOL.

But so far i germinated the 3 Amnesia Haze and only two popped. The one Bio seed i had popped as well so i planted them about two weeks ago. All Three finally have roots in the water but the Amnesia Haze really didnt take well to the nutrients I gave them after the first week even though it was at 1/5 strength. So what I did was pull the rez add a smaller amount of nutrients and PH balance the water and that appeared to work almost over night. The crisping stopped and now the new growth coming in looks a lot better. The Bio got a small amount of burning on the tips but beside that she seems to be loving it shes growing the fastest.

Since i had four buckets and only three seeds that popped I threw that HG69 in there for fun to see how she grows. Im really looking for a little help on this journey, i really am lost when it comes to light height and also when it comes to how many plants you can grow under each light.

Sorry for me blabbering on ill attach photos by tomorrow with my setup and my girls

2. I hope im doing this right trying to attach this file lol but its of my setup thus far.

Attached Files:

3. Also quick question im going to be purchasing another 4x4x6.5ft and was wondering anyone have some insight on lighting ive done a lot of reading and some people say LEDs are the way to go then others say they dont have a good enough output. Should I go with a HPS/MH?

4. As a fellow first timer I'd suggest sticking with LED as the temperature is much more manageable. I hear the Mars Hydro reflectors are decent.

5. I have 3 black domino's in a homemade DWC bin about to flower, I have been battling mild root rot due to my own beginner ignorance for letting temps slip once. A lot of stressful bullshit comes from high temps. in hydro grows so keep that in mind.

6. Hey Doom thanks for the input you know what i just might stay with the LEDs then. I just had to change my grow area around a bit, im going to post some quick pictures but before i do when you guys click on my photos does it come up all weird and distorted?

7. Update: so ive been fighting against nute burn so i thought that taking out water/nutes and replacing with just water would fix the problem but when i woke up on one of my Amnesia plants it started to spread up to the second node. So i just completely changed the water even though i have read some things that go against doing so, i just had to make a call but ya it was from me being to egar to feed my babies nutrients. On the good side though the other Amnesia Haze looks to be recovering and the BioDiesel is just looking more sexy everyday! My Holy Grail 69 just popped this morning sorry ill get all my days straight and post how old they are ive been all over the place!

8. I've found that Advance Nutrients are way easier on account of the pH balancing properties in all of their base nutes and their lineup is all pH neutral. Also, its specifically formulated for cannabis plants. It's much more expensive but eliminates the need for pH monitors and solutions. GH is really easy to misuse.

9. #9 DoomGuy, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    If your plants are ever in rough enough shape you may want to consider switching to something nearly foolproof like AN.

10. Hey wow now im glad I know ill def be making the switch once I run low!! And im hoping they recover if not ill have to buy some more seeds!! :(

11. #11 DoomGuy, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    I started my Cheese plants with GH and ran into far too many issues, since the switch they've been doing fine.
    *Note* (Sensi)Cal-mag is really good to have around regardless of your base nutrient brand. Also remember that water in reservoirs should be cool and NEVER warm, Heat=Root Rot.

12. Ya ive been trying to keep tabs ln my water temp but dont have a meter at this time but it never really seems to get to hot i have a fan blowing almost directly onto the LEDs but i should def get a meter running to be on the safe side. The Cal-Mag is that for if your running rev-os water? I havent actually tested my water but it comes out the faucet at 7.0

13. I need help!! Man so one of my Amnesia Haze literally burned over night which I dont get how... I checked the roots and they dont seems to be growing as fast since im assuming shes stunted... Im really trying to stop this i just am giving them ph balanced water until they clear up. But how long do I actually keep them without nutrients? They are all on day 18.

14. #14 HiFL420, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
    I`m by no means an expert, just finishing my 1st grow. It has been very successful though and I may be able to help you out. I think your problem is that you do not know enough about what is going on in your grow room.

I think your problem with nute burn is because you are using tap water and you do not know your PPM. The area that I live in has a tap water PPM just shy of 500 (read something from the EPA saying 500 + is unsafe to drink). Tap water + nutes is most likely making your PPM super high. So it may be your tap water burning the plants. RO filter would take care of that. PPM meter pens are cheap and its something you need to know to determine how much nutrients your plants need or do not need. Every time before I add water to my res I check my PPM. If it has gone up I give them pure water. If it has gone down I give them nutes. Simple as that. In my opinion a good starting point with nutes would be 1/4 of whatever it says to give them on back of the nute bottle. Always better to be conservative with nutes. Too much will do far more damage then not enough. If it were me, I would change out the water with 5.5 PH RO water until the new growth starts looking healthy and then start adding very small amounts of nutes. The 1st couple weeks of growth my plants did the best with a PPM around 150.

I believe the tap water is killing your plants right now, but I think without res temp, TDS (PPM,EC,etc) and PH monitoring you are setting yourself up for a lot of problems. You can get a temp probe for your res at wally world for less than $20, a TDS pen for less than $20 from Amazon and if a PH monitor/pen is too expensive buy a chemical PH test kit for less than $20.

You NEED to know all this info without a doubt. I calibrate my PH meters once a week and occasionally test with both digital and chemical PH tests so I can cross check and be 100% sure I`m getting accurate readings.

15. Ya PHing i pretty much have down i double check my water once in the Am/ before lights out. I should def get up on that ppm meter though and ill start researching how that all works because that is a step i def skipped. So before i even ask any questions about ppm and feeding ill look it up dont want to be lazy lol thanks a lot for the input!!

16. Yes, if you are running RO water you will have to add cal/mag. There is very few places in the US where the tap water is suitable for growing and I do not think there is any place where tap water is ideal.

17. Ya i might just start purchasing my water as long as my plants grow good, its weird though because one plant is thriving, one is in like a middle stage still doing okay, and one just really fell off...

18. Just by your response I am convinced this is what your problem is. TDS is just as important as PH. Let me know what the PPM (or whatever the meter you buy reads in) of your tap water, I`m curious now.

some good reading on TDS and nutes http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1198...

19. They are different strains right? Some strains are hardier than others. I still think you would be better off buying an RO filter, it will be much easier than hauling large quantities of water every week and much cheaper in the long run. First thing though is to get a TDS meter.

20. Oh ya most def gonna order that tonight, and ya right now I have 2 Amnesia Haze (one in bad condition it looks and other in okay condition) and my Bio Diesel which is doing good and i just planted a Holy Grail 69.