Canada Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by dankness420, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Yeah...Either way, legal or not, I will continue to toke up on the daily.

2. Hells yeah man!!

3. It's Time To End The War On Drugs In Canada

"As someone who had his formative years in the 1980s I can still vividly recall former First Lady Nancy Regan launching the ambitious "Just Say No" campaign. She championed this slogan as part of the "war on drugs." This "war" was started by Richard Nixon in 1971. He declared thatdrug abuse was "public enemy number one" and that "the only way to fight this menace was on many fronts." I can personally attest to having been a true believer in that policy myself, after having done some volunteer work in an emergency department as a teenager.

The drug trade itself has seemed to grow and is now considered to have a global value of over $300 billion (U.S.) per year. In Canada, as you can see below on this chart from Statistics Canada, drug offences continue to rise, while the total crime rate decreases. So certainly based on this data, it would be difficult to suggest that the "war" has been successful.

From an economic point of view, the costs of this war are even more staggering. Itcurrently costs $117,000 a year to house a prisoner. Additionally, while the total overall rate of crime has decreased in the past twenty years, the incarceration rate is up, and 80 per cent of offenders have substance abuse problems. It's clearly not hard to postulate that the main reason for the increased rate of incarceration is drug offences."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sohail-gandhi/war-on-...

4. Legalized marijuana 'doesn't make it safe,' says Halifax deputy police chief

While many are eager to learn if Trudeau's government will make good on its promise to legalize marijuana, Halifax's deputy chief of police says everything from enforcing impaired driving to smoking regulations is about to get a whole lot more complicated.

"Just because it's legal, doesn't make it safe," said Bill Moore.
    "I don't think the discussion has meant decriminalization is a free for all. I don't think that's where we're going. Hopefully not."
    During the election, Justin Trudeau promised legalization would keep pot out of the hands of children and profits out of the hands of criminals.

Moore shares those concerns and also worries more people will be smoking a joint while driving.
    "Do people understand what their level of impairment is, 'how much can I smoke before I become impaired?'" said Moore.
    "When it was illegal, we wouldn't have this discussion because people wouldn't want to have it."
    'We're not going to lay off our drug section'

He says officers are trained to look for behavioural signs of impairment. But there is no THC breathalyzer used in Canada, nor has a legal limit been established for THC - the active ingredient in pot.

Moore has as many scenarios as he does questions.
    "I come out for my smoke break, light up my cigarette and you light up a doobie. So are we going to have marijuana smoking areas and tobacco smoking areas? I don't have the answers. These are the practical pieces that come around."
    With a Liberal majority, Moore says he hopes the government will take its time introducing the new law.

"Even with regulated supply in tobacco and alcohol, we still have illegal tobacco and illegal alcohol. So, I fully expect there will still be an illegal marijuana trade," he said.

"We're not going to lay off our drug section. We're still going to have some work to do."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-...

5. Lol typical cop

6. Everything he said was true, long story short there will be a lot of work to be done over the following years in order to establish a legal recreational market.

7. Bingo.

8. this thread is an example of the discourtesy the community does to itself.

First, please be knowledgeable of the system we have in Canada. Trudeau did not take office after the results were given, he was sworn in a week ago. Furthermore the acts towards legalization will only occur once the House resumes, until then no legalslation can be proposed.

The use of satrical news as references to liberal plans makes us fall into old sterotypes as the "clueless stoners". Furthermore it's laughable that these news sources create panic on this site..

Lastly. Stop creating a conspiracy theory around everything and try to understand policy implementation. The government isn't looking to create a registry to further isolate us.

As for real change? I don't imagine anything in the next year. Although with the recent developments in Colorado (and their transformation to a legalized state) I see it hard to imagine why it would take over a year.

God speed. I hope we can all smoke one (legally) and look over this post and laugh

9. #49 IfImoffpleasecorrect, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    Yesterday they said on TV they need to form a committee first, and they don't know who should be on committee. They want Health Canada to deal with regulating and Health Canada always tried to stay away from forming any opinion about weed in the past. At fastest it will take till August 2016 or 2017

it would be sweet if they finally allowed to grow plants. seeds are already legal to possess for anyone

10. Yeah i never understood that, its like they want you to grow it but will bust you for it if you do...

11. 20% of Canadians smoked pot last year, but more than 30% would if legal, poll suggests

Almost two out of every 10 Canadians reported having consumed marijuana in the past year, but more than 30 per cent of poll respondents said they would do so in the next year if it were legal.
    That was one of the main takeaways of a recent poll on the issue conducted by Forum Research. Forum did a telephone poll with a random sampling of 1,256 Canadians between Nov. 4-7. The poll is considered to have a margin or error of plus or minus three per cent, 19 times out of 20.

"Now that marijuana legalization is a likelihood rather than a vague promise, Canadians are considering the issue more closely than in the past," Forum president Lorne Bozinoff said

According to Forum's poll, a solid majority of Canadians - 59 per cent - support new laws that would legalize, tax and regulate recreational marijuana usage under some conditions.

The figure is higher than another Forum poll in August found, when 53 per cent of respondents said they'd support some sort of legalization plan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marijuana-pot-poll...

12. Yeeeeah! we're on the same page

13. If you don't have the answers, Mr. Moore, ask me, I have them.
    Are there alcohol drinking areas in your office? Most likely, not. Where do you drink alcohol? In bars, restaurants or at home (I sometimes do it outside-secretly, of course). Cannabis will be no different: smoke/vape/ingest it in pot cafes or at home. People don't legally drink at work => no need for drinking areas; people won't legally smoke pot at work => no need for pot smoking areas.

14. It really is as simple as that. I don't think people who smoke pot would expect to be able to go to work high let alone smoke at work...smoke and drive etc.

15. Only way to drive so don't have to get pissed at idiot's soo many

16. #56 IfImoffpleasecorrect, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
    Friday Canada Prime Minster Trudeau Ordered Justice Minister To Legalize Cannabis and they will allow to grow yourself

17. source?

18. Uhh including taxes are about what your gonna be paying it most illegal states

19. I think he was referring to this .. I have no idea where he seen grow :blink:

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/minister-justice-and-attorney-general-canada-mandate-letter

This is what I found about marijuana in it

Working with the Ministers of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health, create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana. - See more at: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/minister-justice-and-attorney-general-canada-mandate-letter#sthash.avZYeoF5.dpuf

20. Well I don't travel much but as a smoker for 6+ years and having many sources I have never seen bud for more then $10/g and neither have my friends.