Aussie Beginner(ish) Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Mindful420, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Hey all. Im from Aus.
    I've just germed some bag seeds in paper towel overnight and 4 have already cracked.
    I planted them in small (30cm wide) pots and watered them quite a lot. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445466561.887405.jpg
    It's hard to grow here because im trying to hide the pots from parents (lol). Im not looking for a large yield, just an easy grow with decent buds.
    So can anyone help in regards to fertilisers I should start using soon? I know (somewhat) about the NPK levels, but it's hard to get solid ratios that are desired (5-1-1 etc). Has anyone in Australia used a decent fertiliser they can recommend?
    Otherwise, I'll keep you all updated anyhow on the grow.
    Im skeptical about buying Marijuana Booster as it's so expensive, but maybe that's the go.

2. Welcome! Read the Easy Soil Mix For Beginners thread, it's got everything you need. You can find most things local. Keep in mind with alfalfa, we call in lucerne over here. I've used the premium potting mix from Bunnings, and then fed with just Seasol..
    it works, just not overly awesome results.

Good luck!

3. Fantastic. Thank you. When/how often should I feed it with Seasol?
    And will it go through the stages/processes of vegetation etc by itself?

4. Your little seedlings are nowhere near ready for feeding yet either. You've got to give them time to develop their roots and grow some. Actually, you're supposed to start nutrients once the plants have had an opportunity to use up the natural nutrients in the soil. I start mine in Solo cups, then pot up to 1 gal., then 3 gal., then 5 gal. pots. Each time you repot the plant with fresh soil, it's going to carry them for a little while. Some people like to give more fertilizers than others. I want to give them enough feed for them to thrive but have no desire to jack them up on chemicals. I even switched to a water soluble powder mix last year and tossed those multi-bottle combo packs sold by the nute companies. Works just as well if not better than the other stuff and costs about a 10th of what I was spending on the other stuff. There's a lot of ways to reach the end goal of a good harvest. You've just got to figure out what works best for your situation. Good luck! TWW

5. If I don't use nutrients or fertilisers, unless I have to (eg. symptoms of x sufficiency, yellow leaves etc), will my plant grow and yield some nice buds?

I'm trying not to spend any money on these plants unless needed, as I have purchased seeds online and they will arrive later for a proper grow.

If I choose to use fertilisers, can you tell me the right NPK levels for all stages of the plant?

I ordered some Super Skunk seeds from Amsterdam, autoflowering etc and I plan to get a great harvest from them, just getting some basics on growing prior to receiving them.

As I said, I will keep this thread updated with my (very amateur) outdoor grow in following days/weeks.

Thanks guys.

6. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445670512.077395.jpg
    So the little guys finally sprouted.
    The plants are only getting daylight and water. Is there anything I can/should do in the early stages to improve my future plant?
    Thanks guys. Will keep you updated.

7. you can sing to them? but nah bro, let them do their thing, noob growers always make the mistake of over feeding/watering, trust me, ive seen me do it. goodluck from perth!

8. Hahaha.. Well thanks mate.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445916070.337053.jpg
    They've sprung out now. Hoping for some warmer weather as the rain has probably slowed down the grow a bit...
    Do you (or anyone) know any tips or tricks that could increase the yield of the plants? I know it won't be large as they're being kept in medium size pots...
    But I've heard a few strange tips like 'pinching' the branches when they grow to form 2 branches.. Anyone?
    Will keep this thread updated with more pics soon.

9. topping/fimming what ever you want to say, supercropping, all good key words to look up mate, dont do it too early though, i waited until the 4th node to top my plant and its sprouting 4 new shoots as i type this aha. i will post a pic of my baby this arvo mate. do some research on topping for sure though

Attached Files:

11. </blockquote>Hey bud. Where you located? Looking nice!

12. sunny western aus, think i've got white pistils on my girl, will wait til tomorrow for confirmation

13. Nice work!
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446178880.544216.jpg
    Mine are coming along well... Not over 10cm high though.. I have high hopes for them!
    Keepin this thread updated shortly. Cheers!

14. #14 yellowsunday, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thought i'd give you a few update photos. shes lookin fine, gave it a feed of 5x(chicken, rabbit, cow, horse, sheep) composted manure, couple table spoons full or so and stirred in some perlite

Attached Files:

• 31.2.jpg
      31.2.jpg
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
    • 31.3.jpg
      31.3.jpg
      File size:
      124 KB
      Views:
    • 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      118.4 KB
      Views:
  15. Looking great!
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446367489.906822.jpg
    I haven't given my little guys anything but sunlight and water.
    Good luck!

16. You really don't need to give the little seedlings anything other than light and water for the first week or two. The cotyledon leaves have enough nutrient in them to sustain the seedling. Easy does it. Don't get too enthusiastic to feed them just yet. Also, be really careful not to over water. As someone mentioned above, this is a common mistake amongst new growers. When you do start feeding, make sure you feed sparingly. You will eventually need to use something in addition to the Seasol. Seasol is a good fertiliser but other nutrients are required. Are you doing a chemical salt nutrient grow or are you planning to do organic?

17. I'll be honest with you - im not sure which I'll do. I assume that means using either organic/chemical based fertilisers. Im new to all feeds and ferts and have zero clue about which to buy in Australia.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, ofcourse..

18. #18 kofidog, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    There are advantages and disadvatages with both approaches. Chemical nutes can be convenient especially in a soiless medium (coco coir, hydro). The disadvantages include the possibility of over fertilization, the expense, and of course the possibility of having chemical salt residues in your herb after harvesting. But many growers like to use them.
    Organic growing can seem complex to the new grower - there is a bit of a learning curve involving understanding the soil web, and what amendments to add to your soil mix to give your plant everything it will need to not only grow, but to thrive! Also, the initial outlay for amendments can be considerable. However, after the initial outlay, you can use your amended soil for multiple grows, and everything your plants need to be really healthy will be in the soil, unlike chemical nutes which often only provide the absolute minimum your plant needs to grow - N-P-K. And if you are growing for medical reasons, you really want herb that is pure, full of life force and vigorous. Once you get into organic growing there is usually no turning back - it's heaps fun!

19. I see. That's useful information. I believe I'll use organic fertilisers as its simply easier for me and im not putting a huge amount of time or effort into my grow.

Anyhow, ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446794344.086951.jpg these are where my plants are up to! Although, there's a bite from the leaf in the bottom left of the photo.
    Do I just need to get plant insect repellant stuff and use it? Or is there another way to protect them from bugs?
    Cheers guys

20. How old are your babies? In any case, if you are having pest problems a simple and effective solution is to make up a batch of organic insecticide using organic, cold pressed neem oil and Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds soap. This is good stuff. Have a watch of this Youtube video: