When should I attempt flower in this

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MikeyTheRucc, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Hopefully a female not to sure received this plant in a bad condition it was kept in a small pot with all types of other plants and was being over watered. With that being said I was wondering when I should be attempting to flower this should I just wait till the roots come out of the pot and prune or what

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

2. Also should I clone first or wait to see if it's a girl or not sorry forgot the pic lol

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

Topshot

4. Its looking decent now, so nice recovery. If you want clones, do it before the flip to flower. If it were me, I would take the clones now, give it two more weeks of veg and then flip.

5. Thanks on the reply she's currently bout 1.8ft from the soil so is that a decent size to go into flower I assume I'll be closer to 2 ft by two weeks and would it be sufficient to clone in an aero garden until it roots then transfer to soil again?

6. I would say flower now. You can clone after harvest. How tall is your grow space?

7. If it gets any taller then you will find that the branches coming out towards the bottom of the plant will just produce a little whisp of weed because they will be substantially distant from the lights and shaded by the rest of the plant. I would recommend taking those as your cuttings for clones, and then start to flower it. If it does get much bigger you will have difficultly getting enough light on to it.

8. My space is 2 x 2.5 x 12 and I didn't know you can clone after harvest I'd rather just do that if that's possible thanks

9. Clone it after harvest? It's sometimes possible to re-veg a plant at that late stage but it's not common at all. It's worth trying out because that kind of thing can be invaluable experience (they can look pretty freaky when they re-veg), but I'd absolutely recommend taking a couple of backup cuttings from the base of the plant, it wont miss the, as much as if you take them from the top. You can root them in an aeroponics cloner with a single cfl while you start to flower the main one.

10. Ok I'll do the aeroponic clone then lol I'm nervous about putting into flower hope it's a lady and the fact that in doing good at veg I don't want to mess up flower lol also need to go buy the right bulbs now too Thanks again bud!

11. You don't need to change the bulbs, what you have will work for flowering just fine. You can start right away and always add or change bulbs later. When you're using CFLs the most important thing is maximising the light you have any light, and more is always better and more important than the red/blue colour thing.

As long as it gets 12 hours of continuous darkness a day, water and a couple of feeds, everything should go smoothly. Try not to force it in to giving you a super yield and let it naturally do its thing.
    Good luck!

12. Thanks man yea I guess I just wanted to replace the ones which are 5000 and 6500 K bulbs to 2500K bulbs and keep the color the same daylight but if I can use these then fuggit lol

13. I have cloned after harvest twice in the last few years. The first time I did it I grew so much weed that I'm still smokin' it eight years later. I only mention cloning after harvest because, at this point, he doesn't even know if it's a female. I, personally, cannot justify the expense of cloning a bunch of plants that might turn out to be males. But that's just me.

14. I wouldn't put it into flower until it's had plenty of time to get well-rooted into that pot. You say it was in another pot with some other plants so that means you've put it into this container. With a big container like that, it's going to take it a little while to get rooted in and pick back up and start to thrive. Once you see it putting out and putting on new growth, then you can flower it if you want to. I hope you have different lights to use for flower. Those CFL's are going to really let you down. That looks like a pretty nice plant there, so don't waste it by trying to flower it with those lights. Get a hps or LED or something with some power to it for flower or you'll be highly disappointed in the size of your buds and the quantity of your harvest. TWW

15. If you put enough CFLs in there it will do fine. Remember what I said about still smokin' eight years later? You need at least 50 actual watts of light for each square foot of growing space. The White Widow is right. An HPS would be better. I can't speak to the LEDs.

16. Yeah it was in the pot with the other plants when I first got it about a month ago. It was just a skinny twig with 4 fan leaves and now I have this I had it in another 1 gal pot before this 5 gal smart pot u see in the pics all the growth u see was grown after I got it in my care bout a month to a month and a half ago I don't have the money for the led or hps with the ballasts to be honest. My plan was just to change out all the current bulbs for 2500k cfls

17. CFL vs HPS : yes there is a difference, and it is large, but CFLs aren't that bad! There's an ounce, ounce-and-a-half to be had from that plant as it is, especially if you add more lights rather than replacing them. With a HPS, even a small one like 250w, yeah it will probably double the amount you harvest but you have get the equipment and set it up.

Don't switch out your lights, just buy four "warm white" cfls and add them to the ones you have.

The thing with CFLs is that the top cola gets okay buds, and anything further from the light tends to end up as a bit fluffy and scrappy instead of dense little buds. This is what disappoints people who want plenty of juicy nuggets t brag about, it smokes just fine but there's certainly less of it. You can reduce this by training like LST and ScrOG so that more sites get more light, and by selectively pruning off small distant stems that would otherwise waste energy producing some pocket fluff. The bigger this plant gets, the more of it will come under this category unless you can get more light.

18. So let me get this straight add these lights give me an equivalent to the hps? Because I was beginning to think that buying all this stuff for the cfls is getting to be more expensive than just getting something like the hps u mentioned . I just don't know how they work how much wiring is involved and do I use the same bulb for veg as for flower so many questions. Thanks bud

19. Adding more CFLs will get you more light but it won't give you the intensity (reach) of an HPS. You can place some of those CFLs down lower so that the lower buds get light. Like howando said, different growing techniques can maximize the light that you have.

20. Yeah a 400w of CFLs is not the same as 400w HPS because the light they give off is different. The HPS is always better and it is easier to get good results, and although with CFLs it really easy to get crappy results, if you're smart about it you can do a lot better than many people think, and you can get dense buds just not as fat as the ones people like to flash around.

To switch to HPS you need a reflector hood, ballast, bulb; because they put out more heat you'll probably need an extractor fan if you don't already have one; they need more height in your growspace because they need to be further from your plants than the CFLs; they are very bright and a greater security hazard; if you start with eg. 250w you need a new or extra ballast to upgrade lighting and that can increase the need for space and ventilation by a big step.

It's not so easy to just have in your closet like you can with CFLs. It's a much greater fire hazard. Much of this can be resolved by having a grow tent you can seal and keep it all in, it's not essential it just makes thing a lot more convenient.

If you go down the HPS route, although one set of bulbs is slightly better for veg and another slightly better for bloom, it's not worth the extra cost unless you've got the rest of your grow operation sorted out and can make the best of it, so I wouldn't worry about the MH (metal halide) bulbs just stick with the hps

If you stick with CFLs for this one, you have enough I've basically done this grow a few times myself, it's not too bad. You need about 150w of lights to get a reasonable crop, that's about six 23watt bulbs, but more would always be better.