Ask a mature atheist a question (about atheism).

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by SlamDaddy, Oct 16, 2015.

1. No there isn't but usually don't blow over to well running off saying peoples beliefs are wrong an yet to contribute to even a fucking idea you are only trolling.. don't sit there an say that there isn't room for logical thinking with me and there isn't anything logical coming from you... flat out bro all there is to it I've had the pleasure to see a real miracle and since then I don't even think for one minute that he isn't up there. My grandpa didn't pray to Ala, budda or any other false God.. he prayed to God of Moses and when I woke that morning the prayer was answered by the one he prayed to. So.. if you actually have something logical to say I will read it and give my opinion an belief on the subject matter..

2. I wanted to discuss chritanities illogical dogmatic beliefs that you hold on to not my philosophy.

As far as my beliefs about Christianity: it is an ancient religion based on a figure head that has not been proven to have lived or done what he is claimed to have done by any other source than a translated compilation of ancient unrelated texts and letters written ages after "his" "life". Now couple that with the literal interpretation of the Bible and you have stupid.

"prayer was answered, therefore God" is not logical.

As far as you know "Ala" lol heard the prayers aimed at the false yahweh and answered them. Now he's pissed that you aren't following him.
    See how illogical that is? This is what you sound like.

If the story of Christ was taken in a metaphorical sense as an example of how positively compassion can affect your own life, I would agree.

But I learned that on my own once I was freed from definition based thinking found in religion and began to explore my own psyche.

Christianity claims that it holds absolute truths in opposition to other religions absolute truths. I'm am of the mindset that all belief in absolute truth must be suspended until enough evidence to overturn or rationalize all doubts is presented. Which in the case of religion, cannot happen.

I have based my standpoint on logic and reasoning with the knowledge I have about myself and my environment. Not a miracle that happened ed once therefore God..

Happy?

3. This is mostly what I dislike about religion. You have soooooo many saying "WE KNOW THIS, AND THEY DONT!!".... so who's right? Is it Christianity because you were just raised to believe it?

4. And when you explain this to someone who thinks that way all they can say is

"yea but we're right because *insert illogical reason for faith*"

5. #25 Dryice, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
    My mom likes to say, WELL JESUS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT 'KILLED HIMSELF'!! I'm like okay... whatever works for you. And to be honest, I think I recall in Religulous how the Jesus story has been repeated before him a few times. Born of a virgin, savior, miracles, dies, resurrects. I never looked into it, but like I said wouldn't be surprised if the same overall theme was already invented.

6. "I'll kill myself too mom if it makes you believe I'm real"

I hope the OP is happy with what he started. Haha

7. This is what I believe the purpose of the bible to be, a book of teaching "proper" living habits and nothing more. Anyone who discusses religious text in a literal sense is missing the point of the whole book.

I believe all religious text has a common starting point and the stories are derived in a way that different cultures can interpret and metaphorically apply them to their situation. It is just a book of stories to somewhat guide "right or wrong" actions, some people need this influence because they like it or they may be morally corrupt.

Most of us here try to condemn religion, but if it makes your life fulfilling and doesn't cause harm to others than who cares? I have seen people turn their lives around using religion as a tool, that can't be misconstrued as bad. We also see killing done in the name of religion, these people are literal believers of the text.

8. Agreed nugb,
    I also believe that certain aspects of religion that are seen as spiritual experiences of God are actually just accessing the antipodes of their mind and seeing a bit more than they usually do.

But defining those experiences as direct contact with "god" is a disservice to themselves.

The Bible is equal to any book that seeks to establish morals. None are explicitly better, and not one is absolute truth.

9. Lol

10. Dude.

11. #31 TheSuperApe, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
    ^Guess you forgot you said this?

12. I told you I would give my opinion I thought it was funny, that's what Lol means. But seriously I mean I feel you bro you don't believe you want proof I understand and flat out I've done a few combat tours and I'd it wasn't for the proof I was provided with at an early age I would have killed myself already, I have one of my best friends says stuff almost identical to what u said. Again these are just opinions from someone how has seen "the proof" and the "miracle" and honestly if I wouldn't have seen it I would absolutely never believed

13. #33 nugbuilder, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2015
    Well... What happened?
    Also, thank you for your service, my whole family is military except for me. Many of them have found great relief in religion after their experiences. My cousin has three purple hearts and was in four battles (several firefights), a person received the the metal of honor in three of the battles and in the fourth a guy got the distinguished service cross.

14. Families like yours keep us safe an thankful, I mean if you are open for an honest answer as embarrassing at it was I had like 50 warts when I was little after seeing a fake preacher show on tv I asked my grandpa could that man heel me. He laughed an said on God heels then he said a prayer over me an I went to sleep when I woke first thing I did was check the areas I had warts an like I said a miracle happened not one of them remained, i know most think I'm trolling or just out right lying but it happened and I'm thankful

15. Thank you for sharing, and I'm always more up for honesty than not. Whether someone else believes you or not is their prerogative, and I'm happy that faith delivers for you.

16. Nope.

No.

17. I think the 1st time I questioned my belief was when I was about 6 years old. I had a friend who was a year older than me and he convinced me to go with him into the church during summer vacation. We stole a roll of dimes from the secretary's office. I remember being scared that god would punish me. We never got caught and after a few days of not being smote, I started thinking something was fishy.

18. I guess the god that I don't believe in is a personal god. I don't believe in any deities or the supernatural. I think it's interesting to read about the creation myths that every culture has.

19. I've never experienced the supernatural. What experiences do you have with the supernatural? I think I would like to witness something supernatural.

20. Satan killed 10 people in the bible but god gets the credit for over 2 million deaths. I think god is scarier than satan in the bible.