Small CFL Grow Need Advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stealthcat, Oct 10, 2015.

1. #1 stealthcat, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
    What's up guys and Gals I was needing advice on my first grow. I'm just trying to see if its something I like and not spend a lot of money. I have 1 feminized seed of White diesel and it is already 5 inches, looks good dark green no spots or drooping. Its in a 31/2 foot tall 3 foot wide Grow box with one PC fan vent and lined with Aluminum on the interior walls. So far the temp has stuck around 86 degrees hotter then I want but not bad. My big question is about lighting, Specifically what's the minimum wattage you can have for one plant. I have heard at least 50 at least 100,150 ect. so far I got one 23w soft white bulb and two 13W soft, three 23w Daylight bulb? Is that Enough? I figure at least one more 23W daylight

2. #2 pipperz, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
    i wrote a whole big post, but this really explains it more easily...

http://www.growweedeasy.com/cfls

look, even budgeting tightly, you are gonna end up spending money, but yes try to spend the bulk of it with lighting, because it is the hardest to get right and costs the most...count on it costing you, no matter what you do...stringing together 20 23w bulbs is gonna end up adding up to nearly what you would spend with better lighting options...believe me, i have tumbled it around every which way trying to save a buck and still ended up spending waywayway more than i planned to

my best advice is...keep in mind that what a mature plant in flower needs, far exceeds what your seedlings through to mid veg stage need....your lighting either has to be able to carry your plants through from start to harvest without harming them in either phase of growth, or you need a twofold strategy that addresses the less intense more gentle needs of the young plant as well as the more intense needs of the mature flowering one...seedlings do not need or want 100k lumens sitting right on top of them, mature plants need to have it...

based on my research and ability to spot out killer deals on items, what i have finally settled on is the 40-42w CFL set up that the guide above recommends...this way i can start out small with just one large a couple small bulbs on when they are tiny and gradually light up the others as they grow stronger...this set up, for me is: 2 plants, in veg-- 2-42w 6500 bulbs, 2-40w 6500 bulbs, 2-23w 6500 bulbs and 2-23w 2700...in flower, i am investing in 2-340w LED panel lights (can find them pretty cheap on Ebay) and will use my veg set up to switch out bulbs for those that better suit the flowering phase and use them as supplement lighting under the canopy

in your case if LEDs just are not possible, i would recommend that your best option is a lighting set up similar to mine, which balances the heat issues of using larger bulbs with the space considerations of stringing together a bajillion bulbs and perhaps making 2 of those setups to be sure you have enough light for mid flower to harvest

one other tip...if you have not started your grow yet, wait...set a target date based on your cash flow and budget concerns...strategize on your shopping...rather than trying to buy it all at one time, set a weekly budget, and plan your purchases to stay within it...how i do it is i buy almost everything on Amazon...35bucks gets you free shipping, and i can make wish lists...i name them by week...10-10-15...then i add all the items i plan to buy that week to it...this way when i am ready to buy, i can just pull up my list for the week, put it all in the cart, pay for it and done without wiping out my bank account...this way you can do it a lil at a time and the cost does not hurt as much

going back to read your post again...too late you are growing...short answer:...you are gonna need ALOT more light and soon...

3. My Grow is set up in an old Trunk that is perfect for a grow box one Pc fan vent cut for ventilating the air out and a fan blowing into the trunk bringing fresh air into the box. I was able to get the heat down 6 degrees so were cruising at 80 now ;) I also bought a new 42 watt CFL and a clamp light fixture with reflector that shines directly over it. the rest of the lights are in a circular pattern around the pot So all together I have about 120W of cfls in a 1.5 square foot space. My schedule is water every 4 days but I'm playing that by ear for now and adjusting accordingly......That I am using Miracle Grow is scaring me a little lol though the plant seems fine and a good color so far ( I will have pics posting soon!!). I also made a spray bottle with powdered eggshells and water gonna let that Seep for about 2 weeks. I heard Miracle grow doesn't have much Calcium or Magnesium I'm trying to be as natural as possible.

4. #4 stealthcat, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015

5. #5 stealthcat, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
    My baby 7 days Old I will post on the REG let you know how the whole grow goes..... I love how my leaves are looking nice vibrant color and the second set of real leaves is growing GREAT!! stem is short and strong...... One thing I should mention you said I would need more light So I bought 2 more 23w cfl bulbs so all together I have 120 watts. WIN_20151009_23_07_18_Pro.jpg

WIN_20151012_01_57_17_Pro.jpg

Attached Files: