Philosophy and marijuana - What makes you say duuddeee?

Discussion in 'General' started by mikestogy420, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Hey blades, back after a long time (forgot login so I made a new account)

Anyway! I recently started taking a Philosophy class, its pretty great. I'm high, the teacher is high, everyone's high, and we all know we are all high. It's hilarious.

We're doing a lot of talking about the limits of empirical knowledge, how strange the concept of memories are, why we come to conclusions for certain reasons - most of these lectures boil down to all of us sitting there like "dudeeee, am I even real? like, is anything real?"

I want you guys to post the coolest questions or ideas you have that will make your head blow up.

One of my favorites: "If you hold your hand at arms length and look at it, that's the farthest you will ever see you hand" -Z.A.

2. I say dude when I'm really mad or really excited about something. It sortof replaces words like "Fuck, Oh!, yo, hey"

Did you learn why in class or are you just asking?

3. ...unless it gets separated from your body.

4. #4 aznno0odles, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
    Usually when i talk about "Free Will" or if you seen the movie "the butterfly effect". It's trippy to think i can literally do anything i want right now. I could drive off a cliff. I could take a 1 way trip to asia. i can say yes or no. then theres a different outcome for every option. am i choosing the right option?idk..... o jeez.....ka -boom

5. #5 jeywix, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
    I did a "Theory of Knowledge" class that was pretty mind blowing. I think one of my favorite concepts was the different ways people assume they effect the world. Some believe they are just a small piece with small actions. Some literally believe that they create the world as they see it, and everything out of eye sight doesn't exist until they turn their head and look at it. They control past, present and future and the world is theirs. This is a slippery slope though, because you then have to take responsibility for all the bad in the world as well. You were the cause of 9/11 and SIDS and cancer... So... Y'know.

6. this sounds like the people who suddenly have a revelation and think they are a god.

7. My first thought is always Kanye...

8. #8 1Backlash1, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
    I was going to mention that too. It can lead to a god complex for damn sure. Been there on a (edit) trip once. My friends did not like the idea however as it puts everyone below you/less important. Or atleast it can. Maybe what originally led me to that, though, was the idea that you can never be sure if everyone else is real (like you) or not. And what I mean by that is, you cant be sure they are experiencing creation like yourself. But that shouldnt diahearten you cause dogs dont experience like humans but we love em and enjoy them. Theres nothing inherently wrong being different.

Oops, almost broke the rules!

9. #9 1Backlash1, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
    forgot to mention numbers! Theyndont exist! Take for instance, your measuring ruler. 12 inches but within those 12 inches are an infinite number of fractions/decimal places to create and infinite distance that either doesnt exist because we can easily cross that distance, or we are beings that move around space/time unimpeded by the infinitesimal. Man that sounds awesome. :) Talk to some mathematicians and you'll find some of their ideas bizarre and strangely awesome.

Sorry for the double post, got excited :)

10. Oh ya, we talked about that too. And how you would never be able to touch something because there you are always getting halfway there. And then half of that and so on and you can never not be able to divide it by two. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong. It was a while ago. Haha. It was interesting.

11. No, you got it right. Although physics has already proven we dont "touch" anything. Individual atoms are 140x further away than the sun is from pluto, from the nucleus to the electron. Mind blown... Our "physical" state is explained by.. i think its Powley priciple.. lol not sure the name is spelled right. But yeah, shits crazy.

12. I always loved philosophy classes. There's so much heavy thought in everything. Whether or not you agree with what you're reading, at least you think about things and make up your own mind. That's good for the brain.