First Grow- First hiccups. Help me clear my hiccups :D

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LocalHerbivore, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Hello!

After months of lurking and being lazy I have finally got around to planting some seeds.
    The amount of knowledge and experience on this site is insane. Thank you all!
    I am in the process of "dialing things in" and have a few questions.
    After I get things more stable I will start a nice journal and all that good stuff [​IMG]

Here's what we're working with-

36" x 20" x 62" Apollo tent
    400w Apollo ballast & bulbs- cool toobed
    4in s&p ~100cfm fan

20151005_120656.jpg

20151005_120812.jpg
    20151005_120826.jpg

Right now I have my a/c ghetto rigged to an intake vent on the bottom of the tent. Duct tape<span style="position: absolute;"> + Cardboard + Ducting + More Duct Tape and Cardboard </span>

Without it temps are in the high 80's lower 90's
    With it it'll stay between 72-84, with humidity fluctuating about 25% throughout the day
    I know it's important to maintain a constant comfortable temp, I'm working on it! I ordered a 6 in. 440cfm fan and filter combo and it should be here within two days. It will go Air~~~> Filter>Short Ducting>FAN> Ducting>Toob>Ducting>Out the top.
    I'm hoping the massive increase in CFM will cool the light enough that it isn't necessary to keep the ac connected directly to the tent intake, and the temps can remain stable through passive intakes.
    I'm also hoping the increase in CFM is dropped sufficiently enough through ducting so the air exchange isn't causing stress, while still sufficiently scrubbing smellz through the filter... We shall see!

I could really use you friendly folks' input on the temp issue. If you don't think my plan will work help me come up with a better one! And if the changes in temps aren't thaaaat big of a deal...SWEET!

I have also thought about running LEDS to keep temps down however. I could return the hps system and fan and invest in a decent LED. Vertical space would be an issue there though because of the canopy distance required for those babies. I've seen from 18-30 inches and that just takes too much plant space from me. I don't know too much about that field anywho.

Here's the girls

4 clones- Mountain Cook - gifted from a "friend" 1 month old
    1 fem seed - Super Silver Haze 1 month old

left 2
    20151005_120713.jpg
    right 2

20151005_120723.jpg
    The Haze
    20151005_120744.jpg

The clones weren't in the best shape when I got them 2 nights ago... spent a month in solo cups and got to the size you see now. During transplant the roots were circled around the bottom of the cup, going about an inch and a half up. There are also little whitish yellowish spots on the leaves. I gave them a neem oil/agsil/aloe spray and trimmed the most hurtin for certain leaves before they went into the tent.

I started the Haze myself from seed. She's looking nice for the most part.

I received the clones on a whim, and was not prepared. Night of getting them I started brewing an ACT, MicrobeMan's recipe. I kept the girls in their cups as I mixed up 5 gallons (all I had enough stuff for) of organic soil, Coot's recipe. I let the tea brew for 24 hours, transplanted the clones into 1.25 gal of mix in 2 gal fabric pots (various brands), then hit em with the tea.
    The next night (yesterday) they got aloe/silica watered, as the soil was already getting dry.
    This morning they were drooping...Added a little water...the soil was slightly moist still so I only added a tad because they showed signs of under watering.

Been 5 hours now and they're not perking up yet!

I have the suspicion that it's due to pest damage from their previous home... I'm going to continue to give them a happy new home and also mix up the ipm tonight by using neem/dr bronners peppermint/aloe/spike lavender EO spray to kill any eggs that may remain. I don't have magnification but by eye I could not pick out any moving objects on the undersides, tops, or branches of the leaves. I did spot a couple flying things buzzing around in the tent. Might be the last remainder of gnats I was fighting with the Haze due to my lack of IPM beforehand.

There is also the fact that I did not cook my soil before putting the girls in... I'm all for a raw vegan diet, so I was opposed to it.
    No, not really. I had no time, and not enough supplies. Anywho, I doubt they are drooping from that.

Here's a try at a closeup of the leaves. The pics show maybe 80% of the total spots that are actually present

20151005_120900.jpg
    20151005_120908.jpg

So yeah. I'm at that point where I've got a month of hands on experience in something and am starting to question if the beginning approach was well thought out enough LOL. Guess you can never truly be prepared for EVERYTHING... except perhaps by having a positive and open mind.. teehee!

Just pondering my options right now.
    Set in stone:
    Tent size, keeping the girls
    Up for change:
    Lights, camera, action!, fans, size and number of pots/plants
    To do list:
    get some soil inoculating for next batch, figure out heat situation, lightproof tent, possibly order some leds and return some shit, laundry, walk the dogs.

Thank you for your time! Enjoy your day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diagnose Plant Problems

being a noob myself I can't offer much in advice but here's a link to help diagnose plant problem! I wish you luck on getting things up to where you want! I'm not struggling but have temp issues in my box slightly too plants are starting their 1st week of flowering and its crammed in there. Want to defoliate a bit but wearily and unsure, guess I'll have to play around myself!

3. All due respect, the pictures shown on the "Diagnose Plant Problems" link are way, way off IMO.

4. all due respect. It's all good just a reference and I don't see anyone else trying to help!? I'm a noob trying to help and it's helped me so just trying to share the knowledge, if you(@jerry111165) know or have better why not share as well? You have a lot of posts??? You came here to hinder not help?

5. When growing in a confined space, ANY light is going to create heat issues. Was talking with a guy yesterday who had almost the same setup as you and he was using an LED and still getting too hot. The ticket to dealing with this is air movement. That larger fan with 400 cfms is going to help a good bit. Keeping as much air moving through the tent as possible is going to fix your problem. I ended up having to install an air conditioner in my flower room...but I'm doing a big room and not a tent. It fixed my problems. No matter what, you have to get that hot air moved out from around the plants or they will die. Heat will kill them as fast as anything I know of. Good luck! TWW

6. To me it seems like you've got some watering problems as well.

7. Here's the girls today
    kelp/ewc top dressing + fulpower/silica/aloe foliar + 4 days later
    20151010_065302.jpg

Put the best two on a sip setup. Bugs away, no more droop.

Slight yellowing starting around the edges of bottom leaves.
    I plan on giving them some kelp/alfalfa tea

Thanks for the replies!
    Looks like all they needed was time....and kelp

8. idk, ive also heard about the 18-30 rule with LEDS but ive seen way to many grows where the plants are litteraly touching the LEDS and they are doing great. check mainahs' grow, i swear on his pervious round one of his plants was trying to push the light up with its top cola lol!

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/1...

9. nope, never come to hinder - I just see way too much misinformation on the Internet and try and help people from thinking they have problems when half the time they don't, or to fix something that might not need fixing.

Please take a look at the "Calcium deficiency", or the "Manganese deficiency", Or the "light burn" picture - Or hell, what the author is claiming as "nitrogen deficiency".

So a new grower goes to that website, looks at the pictures and says "shit, I've got a nitrogen, calcium and/or manganese deficiency"!"

Do you know how often I see yellowing lower leaves on my own plants? Little spots where the leaves might not be perfect or for that matter, leaves turning crispy and dying here and there on the plant? Or once in a while "burnt" leaf ends? It sure isn't nutrient burn because I don't use bottled or chemical fertilizers and my soil is old and well established. It sure isn't nitrogen, calcium or and other foolish deficiency because my soil is based on compost, vermicompost and accumulator plant material which supplies the soil with everything it needs. I've seen many simple overwatering issues or insufficient aeration cause those same symptoms.

Those "helpful charts" more often than not throw new gardeners into a panic and they try fixing nonexistent issues and usually make things worse with their repairs.

J

10. I gotta agree with jerry here. When I looked at the pictures in the first post my first thought was they were being overwatered. That seems to be a big issue especially with new growers. The next post the op mentioned sip buckets and plants seem to be happier. My guess is they were being over watered and the sip has solved the issue. No deficiency but I am sure if you ask any non organic grower they will tell you about all the deficiencies your plants have.