Soylent

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Dearest Leader, Oct 5, 2015.

1. No, it's not people!

This company claims to have made a drink that promises to provide a full, well-balanced day's worth of nutrition. You can replace your whole diet with it or you can have some for the convenience of it. It aims to be the food that people go to instead of frozen pizzas, ramen and other easy to make foods with no nutritional value. The creator has experimented his own recipes on himself and others have been living off of this stuff for quite a while now. There are no known long term effects just yet but a lot have shown that Soylent works for them or has made them healthier.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here ever heard of it or tried it? Are you skeptical?
    Although I could never give up real food all together I could see myself trying this for 80-90% of the time. I find cooking to be a hassle and deciding what to eat to be a chore. I never seem to enjoy eating food 100% of the time anyway. I ordered some and will be giving it a trial run soon. I'll report back if anyone is even interested. Either way, I will be recording my observations and seeing where this weird experiment takes me.

www.soylent.com

2. I thought about trying it when I watched a vice documentary on it.

Until I saw the rats/bugs running around the start up "factory".

3. haha fair enough.
    i'm glad that they contract out their production to actual factories now.

4. The above posts give me some trepidation, but I'm interested in this product. I currently go to work out at 6:30AM. I don't feel like eating this early so I drink a Monster Energy shake- 25 grams of protein. Monster Muscle Energy Shakes are not advertised as a total meal replacement, though. I might try the three meal size of Soylent from Amazon. The stuff is very expensive. I get my Monster drinks on subscription from Amazon and they're a bit over $2 a can.
    Dearest Leader- I'd be interested in hearing your feedback. Thanks,
    Joker

5. Yeah, not the greatest introduction into Soylent haha. It was in 2013, they were a start-up and have since upgraded their production facilities and have also re-formulated their recipes for more optimal health and convenience since then.

The great thing about Soylent is what a wave it's caused with other, similar products and there is a whole DIY community that mixes their own versions of the drink and shares their findings. So even if you don't want to try this actual version you can find many others that are out there.

There isn't as much protein as I would like in Soylent but that's easily fixed by adding more into your diet if you need/want. Lots of people include peanut butter when they mix it for taste and protein. The situation, about waking up early and not having time to eat or too early to cook/prepare food, is exactly what Soylent was made for. They want to be there for a quick and easy meal that's healthy for you and satiates your hunger.

Are you in the USA and how much is it on Amazon? I think it may be marked up a bit there. When you buy from the actual site it will probably work out to be cheaper per meal. If you can't order from there because you're in the UK or something there is also Joylent, which has flavours.

6. I feel like it can't possibly healthy and wouldn't consider trying it until extensive studies on possible side effects have been done.

7. I'm willing to be a guinea pig!

8. Dearest Leader, yes, I'm in the US and Amazon only has a few Soylent products on line. A one day bag of three meals is $15.75 with free shipping. They had bottles, but the price was ridiculous. When searching on Amazon's site they had many other similar products. I didn't read all the info on other products and so don't know if they're total meal replacements. I wouldn't want to live on Soylent, but would like a total nutrition meal replacement drink prior to working out. One meal/day, five days a week.

9. take a look at the list of ingredients below..
    i remember first reading about it on the guy's blog post a few years back.

my thinking -- is that this shit is absolutely unnecessary (like a human pyramid).
    not only is it not very healthy (canola oil, rice protein, surcalose.. to name a few ugly contenders) .. but what happened to eating a salad, some nuts... and maybe having a drink of organic kefir?

soylent:
    -------------------
    Maltodextrin, Rice Protein,
    Oat Flour, Vitamin and
    Mineral Blend [Potassium
    (as Potassium gluconate),
    Calcium (as calcium carbonate),
    Choline Bitartrate,
    Magnesium (as magnesium
    oxide), Vitamin C (as ascorbic
    acid), Zinc (as zinc
    sulfate), Vitamin E (as dl-alpha-tocopheryl
    acetate,
    Vitamin B3 (as niacinamide),
    Copper (as copper gluconate),
    Vitamin B5 (as calcium
    D-pantothenate), Manganese
    (as manganese
    sulfate), Vitamin B6 (as
    pyridoxine HCL), Vitamin B2
    (as riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (as
    thiamin HCL), Vitamin A (as
    palmitate), Chromium (as
    chromium chloride), Folic
    Acid, Biotin, Iodine (as
    potassium iodide), Molybdenum
    (as sodium molybdate),
    Selenium (as sodium
    selenite), Vitamin K1 (as
    phytonadione), Vitamin D2
    (as ergocalciferol), Vitamin
    B12 (as cyanocobalamin)],
    Gum Acacia, Soy Lecithin,
    Salt, Artificial Flavors, Xanthan
    Gum, Sucralose.
    OIL BLEND INGREDIENTS:
    Canola Oil, Fish Oil
    Contains: Fish, Soy

10. #10 Dearest Leader, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
    price and convenience. some people will eat whatever is the easiest when they're lazy and this is supposed to replace that. i wouldn't recommend a full diet to everyone. if you're going to eat out of convenience it may as well be this than something way more unhealthy for you.

i don't think it's such a bad idea. if there are ingredients that aren't desirable then it's easy enough to make your own, as i said, there is a huge DIY community around this stuff. there are a lot of people jumping on this bandwagon.

and hey, maybe it won't fit this niche. maybe it'll just be for crazy people and disaster survivalists down the road lol.

11. price and convenience.. is questionable. waiting for amazon delivery is not necessarily fast or convenient :) (i guess you could stock up). but as you say .. buy a nutribullet and whipping up shake of your own takes a whole of 3-5 minutes.. and a week worth of spinach, bananas, apples and some beneficial foods like hemp seeds, goji berries, blueberries, ginger, etc. will set you back $20 - $30 or so.

to each their own i guess... but then again i look at what's in it.. and can't help to think that you can already buy "ensure" and other similar drinks at any super-market. as a once in while meal replacement it's ok... but to live on that stuff? asking for trouble, imo

12. Just looking at the list well highdrated posted, it looks like nothing but a multivitamin with calories. What happened to getting your nutrition from Whole unprocessed foods. Im not impressed but I suppose it beats Ramen and Poptarts

13. yup i agree with you...

14. If your gonna give up good food, why not just keep a jar of nuts in your car?

Snack wherever you go instead of full meals without taking any time out of your day.

At home drink vegetable juice and eat fruits.

That just about covers your nutrition and almost no dishes or cooking ever

-Yuri

15. Id like to try it, have wanted to ever since i heard about it. But i dont have the money for it haha