Just got a new guitar...

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by bipola, Oct 4, 2015.

1. I make hip hop beats but used to play guitar a lot as a kid (started about 20 years ago, but sold my old electric guitar and amp nearly 10 years ago). I got an acoustic guitar about 18 months ago, and a new electric guitar and amp 2 weeks ago, both of which are insanely awesome compared to the cheap shit I had as a kid (though of course it was my prized possession back then...)

I got a cable so I can plug the new electric guitar (an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro in Ebony to be precise) into my Focusrite audio interface and play/record that way. It's incredibly simple to the point that it's mindblowing to me how easy it is to do (the closest thing I've done to record my own guitar in the past was recording my acoustic through my ipod's mic when I'd come up with something new that I wanted to be able to remember in the future without writing tabs down).

I found a few good free amp modelling VST plugins like the Simulanalog Guitar Suite which features several different plugins all with their own distinct tone (most are distortion effects but there's also phaser/flanger/tremolo ones), mostly emulating real amps and effects pedals

The whole 'suite' is only a 300kb download here and again it's free... http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

I found using the VSTs really helped when playing through the audio interface as the tone is much nicer and it's very easy to adjust to your liking just as if you were adding effects to a regular project in FL or whatever program. I messed around with adding a little distortion in select parts using the aforementioned plugins.

I had worried that the process of recording guitar for use in my beats would basically be that I'd just record myself playing and then need to timestretch or pitch shift or both in order for it to fit to the beat, but I quickly realised that you can do it a much better way by turning the metronome on in FL and recording into the Edison plugin (or you could add a little drum pattern and play to that, as long as the drum sounds aren't on the channel you're recording through all that will be recorded is the guitar)... So I ended up just recording the first little riff, and then recording the second and third parts on a different mixer channel in FL while the drums and original riff were playing, so only the new guitar part is being recorded... This is probably super simple shit but for someone who had never recorded guitar properly in all the years of making beats and playing guitar, it's pretty mindblowing how easy and quick it is to do, I didn't even have to write down any of the (admittedly simple as fuck) guitar bits that I came up with.

I don't think the two little instrumental things I've made so far with my guitar are anything special per se, but I'm excited as fuck about the future possibilities of what I can do with it, and I plan to buy a bass guitar soon so that I can play my own basslines for beats rather than program them all the time (I intentionally left both of these beats without a bassline as I thought the programmed bass sound would clash a lot with the live guitar).

Sorry for the long post that is basically just me thinking out loud, just excited about this shit [​IMG]

I know that I'll eventually come up with some really cool shit on the new guitar and being able to record it so easily and efficiently is awesome.