Red worms?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by justalilcrazy, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Anyone add red worms to their soil? I know worm castings are great nutes. I went down the road of aquaponics...which is really interesting but didnt perform for me. They use alot of red worms to b r ak doen fish waste. They don't hurt the plant. Anyone do this?

2. Yes. Started off about 9 weeks ago with them in my final pot(harvested today). Will go through soil and see if they survived tomorrow....

Its good for the soil, especially an organic approach.

3. Definitely let me know what the outcome was....r u all organic or soil n nutes?

4. Outcome...follow the link in my sig. Posted the harvest pics a short while ago.

7 of 8 plants where all organic. The 8th was meant to be a test plant but I dumped the nutes and went organic nutes just before flower.

Vermicompost is highly beneficial to your soil, imho its the best foundation of any soil that you can get.

5. Wondering the effect on the worms adding nutes

6. Depends on type.

If you make the soil all acidic or alkaliney then the worms may not like.

What are you wanting to achieve by adding the worms? Why use them with non organic nutes?

7. In my 6th week of flower...first grow in over 20 years. Been investigating all organic...mixing soil etc. But haven't done it. I haven't seen any threads on using worms so just investigating at this point.

8. Empitied all my pots today.

Saw one wiggler amongst the lot. Could be few more but that one has survived a good few months in that soil.

Attached Files:

9. I guess even if they don't make it...they become feed for the plants. I like the organic threads that are water only...gonna steer myself in that direction eventually but I'm not quite set up like i want to be yet

10. most of us that garden organically end up with loads of worms in our homemade soils. Just by adding vermicompost directly to the soil or as top dressings you'll often end up with lots of worm cocoons which hatch and will give birth to 4-5 baby worms each.

Pathways through the root zone for both oxygen and water, fresh castings, Calcium Carbonate from the slime which costs the worms, breakdown of organic matter - it's win win.

J