BagSeed seedling not sprouting its first leaves

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DIYGrow420, Oct 1, 2015.

1. #1 DIYGrow420, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
    Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say thank you in advance. I've been researching the cultivation of cannabis plants for about two-three weeks now, and have decided to try my luck at some bag seed. I have no clue if it's a male or female, but I refer to it as 'her' as I'd like that.
    NOTE:: I have purchased a ton of materials and plan on setting up my own grow tent whenever they arrive. Stay tuned for a journal if you'd like!

As of right now I have this little cabinet I rigged into small grow box. I have an intake fan in the lower right, and an outtake fan in the upper left (the outtake spins faster creating negative airflow). I have two 23w (100w replacement) CFL's on (hopefully) her, 1600 lumens each, spectrum of 2700k. They are about 2" away, directly above her (if I say it enough it'll come true right?). The pot I put her in is big, it isn't a starter pot (beginners mistake) and the soil is just miracle grow. I know the soil is sub-par, but I wanted a test run before I tried to grow my Dream Machine seeds, with which I will use my good soil.

ON TO THE TOPIC AT HAND. My little girl sprouted, it's the beginning of the third day (planted her at midnight) and one of her cotyledons aren't opening up. Below are pictures of her day one through three (today).

Day One:

day1.jpg

Day Two: Sorry for the weird angle.
    IMG_7444.jpg

Day Three: Here's where I noticed something. The cotyledon that is exposed to the light seems bigger than the day before, but the one with it's back to the light doesn't.

day 3.jpg

Day Three Point Five: My attempt to open her up a little. I was VERY gentle and only held her cotyledon open (with a small piece of paper) for 5 seconds at a time, twice in one minute. Already looks a little better, could I keep doing this? Or should I try some form of tying her leaf down? It is bag seed, so Im not super worried. But it is my baby so I'd rather not loose her.
    opened.jpg

I have only watered her once since shes been in there, maybe a quarter of a cup of pH 6 (Dont have my pH control yet, bottled water that I know is pH of 6). The soil on top is dry, but just underneath still damp so I don't think she is over watered. Temperature, unknown. I have the AC turned off in my room, pretty toasty. The air inside the grow box is cooler due to the fans, but it's probably around high 70s. Humidity is nice, I have some tupperware with ~1/2 inch of water in there keeping her moist (Day 1-2 I had plastic wrap over her).

Thank you for time reading this, I hope you can help me get this sorted out. From what I understand she is supposed to have sprouted her first leaves on / before day five.

Grow on!

2. Try putting a clear dome of some sort (2 ltr bottle cut in half will work) and give it a spray twice a day.

3. Thank you plunder I'll try that. Are you thinking it's the humidity levels? Just trying to gain knowledge :)

4. Quick update: leaves have opened up! There is a small yellow spot on one of them, probably misting too heavily.

5. It's a seedling and they're a lot like kids. When they're young you're going to want to poke and prod them into growing. The best method for me is to leave them be.

A little encouragement never hurts sonim sure you opening up the leaves momentarily helped out but I wouldn't go as far as tying anything down yet.

Cotyledons aren't really that important after the true leaves come in so I don't think the slight yellowing will be an issue.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1383387-2-Bagseed-Northern-Lights-Auto-250w-CFL

6. Thats exactly what I was thinking, glad to hear there was growth.

7. It's a plant leave it alone and let it grow

8. Why would you even dig up an over a month old thread to post general knowledge? Doesn't seem like you read the thread even, it was answered.