Is THC radioactive?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Stonedrock22, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Okay this might sound ridiculous but hear me out.

I'm not saying it is, nor suggesting it is. I always hear people talk about the half life of it though in regards to drug tests and how long it stays in your body(Same goes for *unmentionables*). I've only ever heard half-lives be in reference to radioactive decay in high-school chemistry. So, is it radioactive and just not harmful? Or does half-life just represent the rate of decay of a substance, such as how fast our bodies break it down?

I guess if it was radioactive the decay would occur even if it weren't ingested, so our weed would get less and less potent as it aged, right?

Any answers/help understanding this would be very appreciated! Sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way, I just kinda figured this is science related.

2. well technically everything is slightly radioactive but no cannabis is not any more radioactive then any thing else

3. bingo...you figured it out. Not many people use critical thinking...good job.[​IMG]

4. Thanks haha! I try! I was pretty certain no one would call it safe if it was [dangerously] radioactive, but my curiosity just made me ask.

5. Half life can refer to a lot of things.

Half life is simply the time a specific thing takes to decay in half.

In the case of drugs, the ammount of time it takes for half the drug to be gone

-Yuri

6. I feel like using the term "half-life" for the exiting of drug metabolites from the body is not quite right. The metabolite isn't decaying inside your body, it's just being excreted after a certain period of time. I would measure the tendency of the body to retain a certain substance by the time until the substance is below detection level (mostly excreted).