Would this be an uncalled for dick move?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by cougarbait, Sep 29, 2015.

1. So basically 1-2 months back my apartment began flooding in a certain area (from the breakfast bar to the apartment entrance and dining area, then started appearing near the bedroom) - it took them about a month to act on it as I'm renting, they called someone out to suck up the water etc (40 liters, the dudes machine held 45 liters), he was telling me 'how bloody patient am' lol.. Now after that 3 people came out, 2 plumbers and someone to assess the damage and what to do to rectify the situation.. none found what was wrong. But the apartment had stopped flooding, I moved my furniture back and it was livable again s I got over it.

It happened again over the weekend, complained to the real estate agent that handles my lease and being as I'd just paid my rent (always on time) I figured he would be onto it quick smart so I didn't risk damage furniture again like last time - he told me he'd handle it Monday morning, now it was Sunday so I figured fair enough I can wait a day. Numerous attempts to contact the real estate agent AND the fact that my apartment is in the middle of being sold to another investor, I notice a note under my door asking to call ******* to organize having the carpet removed and new carpet laid down - this was done 3 months ago, brand new carpet.

Now as I'm self employed, I run a business from home and I'm in university at the moment, my dad co-signed the lease. Since my words are being ignored I've asked my dad to chase it up mainly because he's bored, would threaten legal action and has just retired (hence the boredom). I'm thinking for some reason the new apartment owners are re-doing the carpets OR fixing where the leak was incase of damage, since I'm being ignored by everyone else, what do you guys think of calling/texting this guy and explaining to him that my apartment is flooding for the second time and I'm just waiting for something to be done and I don't think it'd be a smart move to have the carpet laid due to the damage that could be caused. I'm guessing the new buyer had no clue of the initial leak either so practically I'm just being honest and warning them not to waste $$ on carpet at this time, I was lucky enough to get my furniture out of the way and after a wipe down and some moisturizer I was able to repair where my leather couch was looking a little 'off' in part of the base.

So dick move to call/text the person who left the note and mentioning the leak/damage? Or am I simply doing the honest thing? Hell at the end of the day if my real estate agent had jumped on the problem on Monday like he said, it'd be fixed and there'd be no damage - now its still slowly seeping through so I'm getting pissed off. What do you guys think? And yes if after my dad talks to them they still take their sweet ass time I'll be making an official complaint because I pay my rent on time, its very expensive living here, my entire family is out of my city and being the second time this has happened, I think I've been more than patient - my girlfriend alone is really angry and she doesn't even live here!

Turned out longer than I thought but thanks for reading lol :p oh but the real estate had no issue in letting me know it was fine to upgrade to the new national broadband network (they drill into the wall and install a big box so I figured it was smarter to get permission). And yes I've remembered to keep EVERYTHING in writing, even the guys who came out to try find the problem praised me on being as patient as I was but with Uni and work, especially classes returning to full time next month I can't pick and choose when these dudes can come out anymore. I'll attach a picture of part of the apartment at its worst. And with all that said, if I just purchased this apartment as an investment I'd DEFINITELY want to be aware of flooding especially with new carpet just being laid down.

My slippers became so soaked just walking there I had to switch to thongs/flip flops every time -_-

Attached Files:

2. Wow thats seems pretty bad. Honestly that should be considered unsafe living conditions. That water could easily become electrified. Not trying to scare you, but you should defiantly call the person who left you the note, the current owner and if you could find out how to contact the new owner that would be great. Your not being a dick, the owner of your building is responsible for safe living conditions and he is clearly failing.

My 2 cents.

3. I'd be looking to get the hell out of there...surely you have some sort of statutory protections that require a landlord to provide a liveable and habitable environment, and water seepage of unknown origin is NOT safe. Aside from not knowing its origin, its remnants also subject you to the potential of mold-related issues, which are a known health concern.

Yeah, it can be used to break the lease without consequence...

4. Give'em hell. And, watch out for mold problems...

5. Cheer guys, its good to vent a bit :) the guy who came out to suck it all up via a vacuum cleaner for water was shocked too and also worried about the water coming back. He said as soon as I see the water come back through (if it did) to call him and he'll come right out and clean it up, but I want it fixed not just cleaned up - I'll let my dad deal with it and see what happens otherwise I'll complain to the ombudsman who will involve the strata company also and hopefully start sending out fines.

Definitely not something anyone should have to worry about especially given the fact that I have enough on my plate as is, think I'm just going to play it cool and not let my temper get the better of me and explain to them that if they won't fix it in a timely manner I'll make the arrangements and include some they won't be happy with. Even when the guy came out to suck up the water he wasn't sure who would pay him and my girlfriend was like "Yeah, we aren't paying anything - the bill can go to the real estate company" lol.. What is stupid is the longer they leave it, the more problems occur.