Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The mystery chemical(s)

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by dabs710, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Once again, I've bumped into a contaminated weed product, from a VERY popular edible here in California (supposedly "cup winning). They supposedly lab test their product for contaminants and pesticides, but I would like to see them post the results of what they're testing (they never do). I'm not putting their name on the line here because this situation is not unique to them, it happens with most "bulk" edible companies who try and make money all over the state.

Every once in a while I come into contact with this junk. I've said it before, it tends to come from products made with "lower quality" material. This also happens with every other form of weed too - edibles just are the strongest victim here - they're often made from garbage that nobody will smoke in an attempt to concentrate the material for high THC value - the reason here being profits. In my opinion, it's just like concentrates made from lower quality materials. Sure, it has a lot of THC, but what's the quality of the overall effect?

Eating the junk is worse than smoking it. It takes about 24 - 36 hours for the effect to wear off. It irritates your stomach and your skin. It's more common than you think - you know it when you ingest it. You can guarantee it is not residual solvents or mold / bacteria - it happens in bud form all the way to fully decarboxylated edibles. And solvent extracts kill pre-existing molds / bacterias, unless subjected to contamination.

I'm going on a complete boycott from edible products and am making my own from trusted material (which always works and gives me 0 side effects, as weed should never give you any). It's also cheaper. The best way I determine it is I get my high quality products that I've enjoyed vaping and goes down smoothly, and incorporate a portion of that into edibles. The next unfortunate time I come into contact with this toxin (as picky as I am, I know it will happen again), I'm going to save up some money and send it off to a testing lab who will find out what this junk is in our weed. It may affect me worse because of my medical condition, but I'm absolutely certain it exists and this practice can't be good for anyone.

• Like Like x 3
  2. How about a heads-up on company and specific product so that others don't have the same problem...and perhaps being called out would get the entity in question to address the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 dabs710, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
    Like I said in my OP, I've tried just about every single major chain edible company in California and they all have defective products. It is a widespread problem in the market - which is bad because many very seriously ill people turn towards these products and will not get the medicine they deserve. This edible in particular was a Kiva Bar, and my complaints are not specifically limited to them. The root of the problem is what people are growing with and patients not complaining enough about these products so there's quality control to keep the chemical(s) out of weed. If they don't want to fairly lab test and show the results (I have yet to see posted results), they should at least know where their product came from and know exactly how it was grown.

4. Is it possible that you just don't tolerate the intake through edibles as well as others? Perhaps an allergy to some preservative that is not all related to the pot part of the process?

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything...I have never consumed the mass-produced edibles, so this thread is somewhat of a learning component for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 dabs710, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
    No I understand your reasoning.

Let me put it to you this way : I've tried EVERY single other possibility there is. I didn't experiment for a couple of weeks, I've been complaining about this for years.

I once made an edible that gave me that reaction years ago from bud. I made the exact same edible with regular butter and had no negative reaction. It's not the food.

I had an edible last night that I made from some good oil I was dabbing on. I'm up today feeling absolutely fantastic. [​IMG]

I've had this negative reaction plenty of times from smoking / vaping too. It's just worse with edibles because it sits in you. It's something nasty in the weed that a good amount of growers are using.

• Like Like x 1
  6. there are people growing cannabis like roses with all the same chemicals and everyone knows we do not eat roses but do cannabis. after all, the company selling the plant poison said it was safe........

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 dabs710, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
    I'm wondering if I'm getting sick off Eagle 20 or paclo sometimes.

8. #8 ajroxit, Sep 30, 2015
    you know, we had a huge issue down here in vegas a few years ago. people were complaining that the edibles they were purchasing weren't potent as advertised or were at times far to potent. far to potent to the point of people being ill for a few days. from that point on i have stuck strictly to my own edibles. it is so damn easy. like really, REALLY easy.

there were also containments found. things like human and animal hair, human and pet dander and some other stuff that points to people making these products in home kitchens in large quantities. home kitchens just aren't meant to handle 300 brownies and 300 cookies at the same time. so i just dont even presribe to that kind of thing any more. even when the dispensaries give them away as feebies i still don't fucking eat them. in the trash they go.

i make canna oil using coconut oil and top shelf medical ganja and then keep it on hand for use later. hell, 2/3 cup of canna oil instead of the oil or butter called for in a box recipe for say brownies is fucking awesome and just that simple! i also have decarbed ganja pre ground and ready to use. it can be as simple as adding a 1/4 of a gram to 1/2 of a gram of pre ground, decrabed ganja to hot coco or sandwiched between 2 pieces of store bought cookie dough and then cook as directed. fucking yummy are the words i would use to describe it. then, about 30 minutes for the hot coco or an hour to an hour and a half for the cookies to hit you, then i would describe it as fucking yummy for my tummy and fucking baked for my potato! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. #9 dabs710, Sep 30, 2015
    Same here. Same applies to most pathetic excuses for "joints" that they give away for free most of the time too.

10. I think this is the best route for edibles. It's cheaper, you can see how they're made, and know what's going into them.

11. ya man, those free joints are fucking trash. it has to be shake they put in those nasty fucking things. stems and twigs and shit.

just blech!

12. #12 dabs710, Sep 30, 2015
    I have no idea what types of people would even enjoy those boo boo roaches... or even why they carry that trash to begin with.

I think that's a lot of the kind of weed that ends up in the edibles. People's biggest fears of edibles lately are how high the dosage is or how professional the kitchen was that they were created in. To me, these fears are negligible compared to the idea of the starting materials being poor quality. I believe this is why a lot of people don't get the results from edibles they seek.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ya man, if they are selling top shelf ganja by the gram and rolling up that schwaggy shake and selling it / giving it away, then what are they making edibles out of? never really thought of that lol! it is just too damn easy to make your own edibles, make them yummy and make them potent. i just don't see how they fuck it up. the way i see it is that if my lazy ass can make some pretty damn good edibles then why in the flying mcfuck cant the people who supposedly do this for a living? senseless is the word i would use to describe it. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 dabs710, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
    It's because of profit. Like I said before, they think it's all about the THC you can compact into it, not the quality of the starting material. If they're going to do that, they figure the best way to compact it is to do it with semi-worthless material. So it's usually from the material that people will refuse to smoke. Think about it : the top shelf nugs and nug run BHO are sold for smoking, the trim often goes into trim run BHO, and the stuff that's regarded as unsmokable usually ends up in edibles.

I once went to a dispensary and told them I was going to be using some of their buds to make edibles. He was like "oh no no don't do that there's better stuff for edibles" and showed me the most garbage shake. It's just the standard that all the low shelf goes into edibles, so we get low shelf edibles... usually at a high price as well. Complete profit for the people who make it. You can tell right away when you have bad weed, bad hash, and bad oil... but most can't tell a bad edible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I hate the thought of diluting a natural product with man made chemicals

• Like Like x 1