LinuxOwners Journal - Season 1 - (LED, Hydro, SuperLemonHaze)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by LinuxOwner, Sep 24, 2015.

1. No problem. I'm going to speak from my experience for a second, not necessarily grouping other growers in.

Lol yeah research will still help you, but experience teaches best. And I think the seedling stage can be a very hard stage. People want to do too much, and just with the rest of the plants life, they also want to give too much water. Too much and/or too often.

It's weird, but I've let so many plants get too dry. Seedlings seem to be affected worst if you let them go too long. Too long in my experience is 12-24 hours of being completely dry. Just checking in daily fixes that, it's only an issue if you don't monitor seedlings. Vegging plants that aren't autos usually can take some damage. They can be left to veg longer to hopefully fix any issues and continue root development and new growth up top. Let them get too dry and they droop. The leaves get skinny and flat, they literally look sad. Give them water and they come back in a matter of hours. They're fine. Same goes for flowering plants. They'll droop and be flat, then perk up with water. Since they are focused on producing bud they might be stunted slightly in terms of harvest yield. Otherwise you'll usually catch it in time that no damage is done.

Over watering on the other hand does damage. It suffocates the roots in soil more or less. They can develop rot. Same goes for hydro if you don't have enough oxygen getting to the roots through bubbles or flood and drain systems. Once a plant starts to grow out of it's seedling stage this will be easier to see. Fat, poofy, slightly droopy in the fan leaves tips is an indicator of this. Under water and the fan leaves and stems will be real droopy.

So for now you're in the seedling stage and rockwool. I think I did a few days or a week of the seedling and rockwool cube in a glass dish with saran wrap over top. Poked a few small holes too if I'm not mistaken. You're not doing that which is ok, but I'm relating this because I had that cube soaked. The humidity was high and it was wet. I realized this wasn't good through reading online and let it dry out. Then gave it very small pH balanced waterings like you are. Droppers are great for this. It really doesn't need much right now. It grew fine after that, roots came through the massive rockwool cube later on, and then growth really picked up from there. The roots grew pretty quickly and then the plant up top followed suit.

Along with all of that rambling you'll hear LITFA. Leave it the fuck alone. Great advice for new growers lol; great advice in general. Lots of research and hearsay might tempt you to try and care too much for the plant. The best thing to do is form a base.
    -Hands on knowledge
    -Essentials: Proper light, environment, pH'd water, basic nutes, proper dark.
    -A successfully grown plant

From there it's a good time to try new things. Also I don't know why I can't untab. Sorry for the lack of uniformity.

I'm saying this stuff as advice, not that you have to follow it. But it's what helped or worked for me.

When mine was as small as yours I probably gave (in my larger rockwool, so it was dispersed more) 1 fl oz (30 mL) every 1-2 days.

You don't need the filter right now. Saving it for later is going to prolong its life. Some strains like to start smelling before flower, but you will either smell that entering your house or the grow area before anything else. So then or when you flip to flower and they really start to stink you can add it.

I forgot you were doing scrog! Yes clip fans would be a good idea in that situation. I would still recommend airflow underneath the canopy. That's going to be trimmed up I know, but it's still a great place for stale, humid air. Clip fan down there too maybe haha.

I'm off to bed, I'll check back in this weekend. Hope some of this helped and didn't come off in some offensive rambling way.

2. What's uppppppppppp,

Linuxxx! My main! How you been sir? Hopefully we'll man, LITFA, it's a great saying. As well at KISS. Keep it simple stupid lol

3. Guess,

Hey thanks alot man. I'm glad you always take the time to make the best posts. Srsly, You're write-up was fantastic and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I appreciate the fact that you put so much time, thought, and effort into the post. I will be around tomorrow (I hope) and I will try to get up with you then.

Things are still looking (what I consider) ok so far. I'll take a few pics.

Appreciative,
    Linux

Left Plant 100_0033.JPG

Right Plant 100_0034.JPG

Specs 100_0032.JPG

4. Loopy Loopmeister,

Always a pleasure to see you my friend. I do appreciate you keepin' an eye on me, I tried to kill the right plant yesterday, but it looks like it made it through another day.

I almost killed it by rotating the bucket. Didnt think about the kink in the hose that it would cause. Needless to say, once the kink was there, instead of things recirculating out of the bucket it simply just began to flood and overflow. 2 hours later I had everything cleaned up. The lil girls got their first taste of fuckin swimmin' yesterday. They are however, still alive today, See above posted pics.

Thanks again for checkin' on me, Good Lookin' out.
    Linux

5. That part of hydro still puts me on edge; the amount of water that could go places. Which is why keeping electronics off the ground is a good idea. Like your clip on fans, that's perfect compared to my little fan on the ground.

Things are looking good according to the photos. Also I did notice you moved some hydroton to help support the girls which should help. Especially while they wait for the fan breeze to strengthen their stalk. I've put a fan directly on a seedling before and had it bend right in half lol. It lived, but that scared me and I've learned.

6. Good morning Linux! You seem to be doing good and persevering through the challenges and that's what this seems to be about. Have a good weekend dude. I have a 818 headband from Cali connection that's in dwc from seed and it's on day 27 now and under a p450 doing pretty good I think. It's my 1st dwc plant and 2nd grow ever lol. I have a few pics I can drop as I don't have a journal if that's cool? Talk to ya later man

7. G,
    Hell yeah thats kool. Do it man, post away. I will definitly be interested in seeing whats going down with your grow. Believe me, the cats that I know (which aren't many) are incredible fellas. They have helped me out tons and they all know their shit, unlike me, bahahah.

So yeah, why not? It will be fun to share grows. Like I said, I am just trying to keep them alive at this point. I almost cried the other day when I checked and the plant was floating in the net pot with the rest of the Hydroton. Fail.

I have to go out for a little while, but I will be around a little later tonight. Hope to check you out then.

Later,
    Linux

8. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443893692.420751.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443893735.616496.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443893764.434468.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443893781.807077.jpg

This was 2 days ago. I vegged it for 7 weeks from seed. I topped it 1 time and then tied it down. It's about 18inches tall and 36" wide. Learned a lot though and have a lot of little things I'd do different so hopefully it's even better next time.

9. I will be eager to hear and learn about all the things which you would do differently and why. There will be plenty of time for those conversations. Hope you are willing to share them with me

Everything looks great. I hope mine end up being nice like that too.

Talk to you soon,
    Linux

10. #30 LinuxOwner, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
    DAY: 10 (From seed)

So, Hmmm
    Not really sure what to make about my girls here. One of the twins seems to be doing great, but the other sister seems to be having severe issues. I don't really know what to think, I mean, the roots aren't long enough to have even hit the hydro buckets so I guess that would rule out anything that has to do with that. I can't really thing that it has to do anything with the lights as they are identical on both sides. I have been carefull to not over water the cubes as suggested by countless persons smarter than I, and I think I have done fine in that department.
    I will post below pics of the twins. The right plant seems to be great and the left one seems to be the one which is dying or w/e the fk is happening,

Right plant - 100_0035.JPG

Left plant - 01: 100_0036.JPG

Left plant - 02: 100_0037.JPG

Stats: 100_0038.JPG

The color of the blades on plant 2 seem to more tan than brown. It doesn't show very well on both pics, but I figure I would try to show 2 different shots of the plant.

Anyone with suggestions or thoughts feel free to add them.

Thx,
    Linux

11. Did it possibly get splashed with water or something?
    That can cause a magnifying glass effect, and the light can burn the plant.

12. You know crank, I thought of that too. I was pretty certain that is EXACTLY what happened, but when I went to work and returned it looked like there was more damage than when I had left. Of course I checked to make sure that there was no water on the leaves before I left.
    If I had to guess, I would agree with you 100% that you are right about the splashing. It looks like there may be some new growth starting on the plant, if the lil mfr makes it through I should be able to see if the new growth starts to have any of the browning.

Thanks,
    Linux

13. Hey Linux, how far away is your light from the plants? Certainly looks like a burn.

14. Hi Scoob,

Thanks for the reply. They are like 32 inches away if I remember correctly. I too had considered the light burn, however the lights above the plants are identical in height. In other words why would the height of one light burn one plant, but have zero effect on the other? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just was not really sure how it could happen to one plant and not the other. The only conclusion I could come up with was basically what Crank was saying... If I was careless when I used the eyedropper to give each plant the 4ml of water, perhaps I hit the leaves and it in fact did cause a magnification effect of the LED lights. Basically, like what you are saying too --- a light burn.

I was going to upload some pics tonight, but I will save it for tomorrow. I took a look at the girls when I got home from work and the plant on the right I was very pleased with. The new growth was nothing short of amazing. It appeared as though it had grown the same amount today that it has in the last week. I'm pleased with the development of the plant on the right. The plant on the left (my problem girl) is showing new growth too. It appears that the "burnt" leaves are well...essentially fried, but the new growth is showing a little promise. Perhaps all is not lost. I will see how things play out by the end of the day tomorrow. Maybe I will get lucky and all the energy will go to the new growth.

I will take the pics tomorrow. Cheers Scoob, thanks for your input.
    Linux

15. DAY 12

OK, So when I got up this morning to see how the twins were doing, I figure it would be easier just to take the photos and show how nice the right girl is looking and how poorly her sister is doing.

Right Plant 100_0041.JPG

Left Plant 100_0042.JPG

Stats 100_0043.JPG

So that's where we are at.

Linux

16. Well, those leaves aren't going to get any better. Main concern will be condition of new growth when it happens.

17. It could possibly be a root issue, I used Botanicare Hydroguard on my girls which were having an issue and they started doing much better.

18. #38 scoobylove156, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
    Damn dropper, lol sorry I just read your reply now. I'm sure that things will go pretty good. When they are that small it's so easy to expect to see more than what you do. They will be getting fast in no time. 😊

I just got my new 600 watt HPS and installed it next to my LED. I'm hoping for some pretty big gains!

Attached Files:

19. Hey Linux. Good thing there are others on more often to help you out [​IMG]

I agree with water being able to cause light damage like that. I'm with Scooby though. It's probably just the light still being too strong for the girl at 36" away. Plants may start out looking the same but you'll quickly see different characteristic as they grow. If the plants are clones then sure... With all else being equal they should grow the same. From seed, even if it's the same genetics, it's most likely going to vary in one or more fashions.

Like crankz said too it'll be the new growth that is important. She probably won't grow as fast as the other seedling for now just because she has less leaf mass to work with. If the new growth comes in fine she will pick the pace back up. I still have hope for her.

Otherwise looking good and keep doing what you are! I'm still very excited for this grow.

Also if you want to feel better about your damage, go ahead and pop into my thread at some point. I'm going to post up something I mentioned about under-watering.

20. Ok guys.

I would like to thanks everyone for the input, it actually help immensely. I think the general idea is that they lights may be just a tad too close and that I was careless with the dropper and inadvertently splashed onto the plant. I have been watching what I have been doing a little more closely. I have been trying to implement the LITFA method as much as I can. I am keeping a day planner beside my work area to monitor the times and amount of ML of what I have been adding. At this point it is simply about 4ML of 5.5 Ph'd water in the morning and once before I go to sleep. I have the hydro buckets running and everything and have slowly been working on getting them to the correct ph.

I'm not exactly sure when I start to implement the week 1 nutrient regime? I mean, technically I am like on the night of Day 12 (from seed) but thee roots have not started through the net pots. Is that behind schedule for a day 12 plant from seed? I have noticed that they have increased in growing in the past 24 hours, like big time. I think they are growing at s significantly faster rate now. Possibly they are hitting wet hydroton from where the bubbles are splashing, idk.

Hmm, I think tonight or tomorrow I am going to go to Amazon and order that pondmaster 60 pump or w/e the fk it was that Crunk and I were discussing over at his thread. I'd like to come off the pump with a splitter (2way) and then add the existing manifold (4way) one on each split for each tent. I think DrMingle had a great suggestion regarding air flow regulator wherever the hell I get those. I've had just about enough of the shit commercial pumps.

I had no intention of posted any pics tonight as they are more than likely lame. I have to work tomorrow and then have a Dentist appt. immediately following. After that I will be loading some of the wood pellets into the cellar. 5 ton has to make it in there in the near future. Knocked out 1 ton today. If I'm not dead tomorrow I'll get some pics so we can see where the hell the twins are by tomorrow night,

Last note, I'm really fkn struggling to find the shit to use for the scrog I want to make. I will be framing it up with the PVC, but I really wanted the 2" x 2" coated grating that gold grower uses, but we cant get it here in the United States. Anyone have some suggestions on what to use in the meanwhile? I know I have time, but hell, I don't wanna wait till the last second. I also bought another digital timer today (makes 3 now), I got more PH down solution (bigger bottle) cause the PH of my water is like fkn 7.8 - 8.0 when it comes out. Already got the method 7 glasses. I think something that I have to do this week is get some kind of fkn stand so I can start setting up my cloning center. I bought some kind of cloner (x24) maybe EzCloner, Turbo Cloner, I don't remember wtf it is, but I know it has a dome and I am going to hang my fkn T5 lights over it.

I see I have been rambling and shit again. Oh well, it will give me something too look back and laugh at once I get to season 10, bahaha.

Thanks Fellas,
    Linux

PS, Scoob, shit like nice, gratz on your new lights.