Better alternative to off?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Sauramon, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Hey all.
    So I went do walmart and got a can of max sportsmen 40% deet off, and it works in most places but when I'm working far in the bush, even a sweater and bathing in this shit doesn't make a difference,
    is there anything stronger you would recommend that I give a try?

2. Concentrated garlic works.. but if you're hunting it'll probably alert your presence. I was spraying it at work to keep the mosquitoes away, it was store bought stuff. I also made some rosemary water where I ground up fresh rosemary and soaked it in water for a few days. Didn't work so well as a personal repellent, but when I sprayed it in the air I didn't see any mosquitoes for days. If you have power with you, you could also get a cheap box fan and put a mesh screen over the side the air gets sucked in. Not sure if it is the hum of the fan, but it draws tons of mosquitoes in and then they get sucked into the screen. Might help to eliminate them before they get to you. For ticks, the garlic is good. Another thing I used to do is drop some pure peppermint oil on my shoes and socks and barely any ticks tried crawling up my legs.

3. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I second the peppermint. I use peppermint oil and I'm always Bite free. Diluted in water to spray or just dabbed on exposed skin.

When I don't i get eaten alive so I can tell there's a difference.

4. Did you ever try citronella oil? I swear mosquitoes have evolved to use that as a marker to find people.. cause every time I used it, I got ravaged by them. Even put a drop on my shoes and watched mosquitoes land on the spot where the drop was and just chilled there.

5. Ashes from an expended fire also seem to work good too or so I have heard.

6. Avon's Skin so Soft. Before you get all, "That's gay!" on me give it a try. That's all I've used for years.

7. Did you know you can use Off to remove the hazing from your headlights? Sorry if this didn't help :p

8. drink beet juice. it will detoxify your skin and make it less appealing to those nasty mosquitoes. DDT is bad for the environment anyhow.

9. I've used that too in the past and it worked great.

10. #10 spliffhitter77, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    tisk tisk, you said dabbed lolz off my recliner

11. I've also done smoke baths with juniper and sage and that worked pretty well when I camped next to a pond filled with bugs of the biting variety and didn't have any oils or deet.