Here Comes The Pope

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Sep 17, 2015.

1. The rest of the nation wouldn't be a nation without those cities lol.

But in no way shape or form are the people responsible for what the local governments do. Here in NYC they are fucking the natives and robbing us basically because they know that however high prices may be some trust fund baby from idaho will be ready to rent $2000 for a livingroom/bedroom combo.

Unless your speaking on the gov't in which case, fuck em.

2. I was watching the NBC news tonight for some reason (with the sound off) and turned it off after the first 17 minutes were about THE FUCKING POPE.

I hate the news. I normally don't watch it because it's usually nothing but politics/government, how wonderful the state is, and with some stupid human interest story at the end.

But the pope thing today was over the top. Of course, it really was all about politics. So, nothing new.

3. Oh my god. Im SO embarrassed. I absolutely hate religion. But, the only thing i liked about it was this current pope and his relaxed policies/views. But a very good point was brought up in this thread. HE COULD ONLY BE DOING THAT FOR THE PR!!!! I cant believe ive never thought of that!!!! Ive now been further enlightened. Thank you!!

4. If all the celebrities and rich and powerful that like to do photo-ops with the homeless would actually use their abundant resources to help the homeless by more than nice sounding words and magnanimous gestures designed for media reporters, maybe there wouldn't be nearly so many homeless.

[​IMG]
    I

5. #45 puddleglum, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
    I heard he didn't even eat anything himself, he spent the entire time talking to people, playing with kids, etc.

6. I shouldn't criticize him. He may have a genuine heart for the homeless for all I know. I just grow weary of bullshit and bullshitters. Maybe he isn't just another typical purveyor of that ideology. But all I've heard quoted of him so far is a fairly predictable stream of leftist political yapping.

7. Oh I totally misunderstood your post. I thought you meant celebrities and politicians should be more like the pope. That meme you posted seems pro-pope to me. ;)

8. I'm apparently not communicating worth a damn here today. Sorry!

I was being facetious because so many public figures glory in saying and doing things that make them appear like they actually give a fuck about the poor, then they go home to one of their hundred million dollar mansions and feel good about themselves for having said something nice on record about the poor.

But I probably even fucked that up. lol

9. I see your point and bet you the Vatican and the treasures within are worth MUCH more than 100 million. He could have a yard sale and feed the whole world for a year with the profits. ;)

10. All I know is the traffic is horrible where ever he goes. Why did he has to come to Philly?! Hope he saved a bunch of homeless and children here or it would all be for nothing except politics.

11. the fact that pope came to play with kids and work with homeless is an accomplishment of some sort? what about thousands of volunteers that work in soup kitchens every day? .. where's the thread dedicated to them.

i meant wtf else is he supposed to do, just sit around in his hat all day? .. all a fucking show. for nothing. waste of time.

12. Agree on the volunteers and those like them. The world is a better place because of billions of unnamed doing tiny selfless acts that adds up. But then again one well known "hero" doing selfish and hideous acts can cancel all that out.

13. can you imagine tho if he came here and didn't do those things?

Its like a job requirement. People would be furious

-Yuri

14. When the Pope arrived back in Rome, from his visit to the United States, he declared, "Better here than in Philadelphia".

15. I must agree. I'd much rather be the top shit in my own city plated in gold being literally worshiped than in Philly.

16. Did the previous Pope do those sorts of things? Anybody know?

17. The “Cool Pope” honeymoon is over: Meeting with Kim Davis could be a tipping point for American progressives
    Sensible little Fiat aside, he's still the leader of one of the world's most sexually conservative institutions
    SCOTT TIMBERG WEDNESDAY, SEP 30, 2015

Imagine if a rumor started to spread that Kim Davis – the Kentucky clerk disdained by many liberals for her very noisy opposition to gay marriage – had met with Jon Stewart, or Elizabeth Warren, or Bernie Sanders, or Cornel West, or just about any progressive hero. It would be pretty clear that it was either a hoax, or a media stunt resembling a cage match. We'd expect leaked photos with the two wearing boxing gloves.
    But the early murmurings that Davis met with Pope Francis, increasingly known among liberals and lefties as the Cool Pope, turned out to be for real. After half a day of speculation, the New York Times confirmed the encounter with reference to a Vatican spokesman.
    Ms. Davis, the Rowan County clerk, has been at the center of a nationwide controversy over whether government employees and private businesses have a legal right to refuse to serve same-sex couples. She spent five days in jail for disobeying a federal court order to issue the licenses.
    On Tuesday night, her lawyer, Mathew D. Staver, said in a telephone interview that Ms. Davis and her husband, Joe, were sneaked into the Vatican Embassy by car on Thursday afternoon. Francis gave her rosaries and told her to “stay strong,” the lawyer said.
    This should make any progressive who digs the pope wonder a little bit.
    The most immediate question is, How could he do such a thing? Isn't this the smiling, tolerant pope who has spoken out against climate change, against income inequality and ravages of unchecked capitalism, who has talked about protecting the earth and respecting the poor? Isn't he – American progressives are asking – one of us?
    But the Davis affair serves as a pretty strong reminder that the Anglo-American tradition of the liberal left and the lineage of Catholic social justice the pope represents – a life shaped by Latin America and its gender politics, and by a millennia-old church – are very different. The great Mexican poet Octavio Paz wrote that while the United States was founded in the spirit of the Reformation, his nation was born during Spain's Counter-Reformation, at a time when the church had “petrified” itself. Argentina, where Francis spent most of his pre-papal career, is not Mexico, but it's still closer to that reactionary tradition than most North American and British lefties realize.
    So let's just remind ourselves, whatever the Pope's economic liberalism – his vow of poverty and taking the name of a saint beloved by environmentalists, his sensible little Fiat – he still represents one of the most sexually conservative institutions in the developed world. He preaches love for individual gay people, but concurs with the church's position that homosexuality is wrong. He opposes abortion. He's spoken about the importance of women in Catholicism, but seems unlikely to budge allowing women to be ordained or to have a real role in church hierarchy.
    Unlike Davis, who became famous for refusing to issue licenses for same-sex couples, the Pope has not been provocative on these matters. But his positions don't appear to be “evolving.”
    You don't have to be a theologian to know all of this, but the Davis affair certainly makes the pope's ambiguous politics more explicit. His line “Who am I to judge?” (spoken about a hypothetical gay person “searching for the Lord”) now looks less like a progressive stance and more like a non-confrontational way out.
    Can the Pope's support among left of center hold? On social media, the tide of opinion has started to swing against him.
    http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/the_cool_pope_hone...

18. It's one of these things where I can respect his opinions on certain things but disagree with him on others. Of course people were using the pope to validate their own positions but that's silly. I can agree with him on wanting to help out the poor, climate change, and being more open to change but I can also criticize him for still being against gay marriage, abortion, premarital sex, birth control and other things I find the pope to be wrong about. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Most people who are religious, which I am not, choose pieces of the church they like and others they ignore. It's only the crazy fundamentalists that follow the bible blindly.

19. unless you live in a city built in manure tht sounds better than being in most cities

20. #60 garrison68, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
    He also met with murderers and rapists in a Philadelphia prison, telling them they are getting a raw deal, and that they belong back in society. He is planning on setting up tribunals for bishops accused of protecting child-rapist priests, rather than turning them in to the civil authorities.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Life means getting our feet dirty': Pope Francis hugs convicts in Philadelphia jail as he tells rapists and murderers to rejoin society and get back 'on the right road'
    Pope Francis met with 100 convicted and suspected killers, rapists and mobsters, and offered them words of hope
    He encouraged them to use their time in jail to get their lives on track, urging renewal and rehabilitation
    The Pope shook each inmate's hand and blessed an inmate who uses a wheelchair
    He said the journey of life means getting dirty feet - and that everyone needs to be cleansed
    This was the Pope's last day in the States - he was expected to depart for Rome at around 8pm

By KELLY MCLAUGHLIN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS

He has criticized prison systems that only work to punish and humiliate prisoners, and he has denounced life prison terms and isolation as a form of torture.
    He told inmates that when Jesus met people, he didn't ask about their history and stressed that the inmates can move forward, leaving their past behind them.
    A Philadelphia Archdiocese priest had been jailed there for his handling of priest sexual-abuse complaints, but Monsignor William Lynn was moved to a state prison in northeastern Pennsylvania shortly after the pope's itinerary was announced.
    After his speech, he individually shook the hands of each inmate, hugging two of them and blessing one in a wheelchair.
    Prior to speaking with prisoners, the pope told bishops that he has met with clergy sex-abuse victims on Sunday before calling for those responsible for Philadelphia's own scandal to be held accountable for the 'suffering' and 'great pain' they caused.
    Francis spoke at St Martin's Chapel in in St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, where he said that he owes victims of sexual abuse 'gratitude for their great value'.
    'God weeps for the sexually abuse of children,' he said during his address. 'I commit to the zealous oversight to ensure that youth are protected and that all responsible will be held accountable.'
    His speech came just hours before he plans to celebrate a climactic outdoor Mass on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in front of a crowd of 1million people before flying back to Rome.
    Pope Francis was greeted by seminarians as he walked through the chapel prior to delivering the address to the crowd. He spoke of Philadelphia's sex-abuse scandal and the importance of family.
    He said he met with five abuse victims on Sunday - two men and three women.
    The last grand jury accused the Philadelphia diocese in 2011 of keeping on assignment more than three dozen priests facing serious abuse accusations, despite a 2002 pledge by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops to oust any guilty clergy.
    The same grand jury indicted a priest who had overseen clergy for the archdiocese, Monsignor William Lynn.
    Cardinal Justin Rigali, the former Archbishop of Philadelphia who retired in 2011 amid a scandal over clergy sex abuse, celebrated Mass with Francis on Saturday.
    Francis has decided to create a new Vatican tribunal to prosecute bishops who failed to protect their flock by covering up for pedophile priests rather than reporting them to police. (Bold mine)

'In my heart there stories of suffering, of those youth who were sexually abused,' the pope said. 'And it continues to be on my mind that the people who had the responsibility to take care of these tender ones violated that trust and caused them great pain.'

He added: 'Those who have survived this abuse have become true heralds of mercy. Humbly we owe each of them our gratitude for their great value as they have had to suffer terrible abuse.'
    Becky Iianni, spokeswoman from the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said that she has heard the pope discuss sex-abuse before, but 'what we really need is action'. And SNAP director David Clohessy dismissed the meeting as an exercise in public relations.
    'Is a child anywhere on Earth safer now that a pope, for maybe the seventh or eighth time or ninth time, has briefly chatted with abuse victims? No,' Clohessy wrote in a statement.
    He continued: 'To give some perspective, let's assume that roughly the same percentage of priests molest the same percentage of kids across the globe.
    'In the U.S., in 2012, two church experts estimate 100,000 kids in the U.S. The US is about 6 percent of the world's population. If you do the math, that means there are more than 1.5 million men and women on this planet who have been raped, sodomized or molested by Catholic priests.'
    When speaking of the importance of family, Francis told the crowd, 'Defend the family, because that's where our future will play out.
    He spoke of the beauty and greatness of family, but joked about his unmarried life and mother-in-laws.
    'Some of you might say, of course, "Father, you speak like that because you're not married!"' he joked.
    'Families have the difficulties. Families, we quarrel, and sometimes plates can fly. And children bring headaches - I won't speak about mother in laws," Francis said, as the crowd laughed. 'But in families there is always light, because the love of God, and son of God, opened also that path for us.'
    On Saturday, he extolled America's founding ideals of liberty and equality in a speech outside Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed.
    'Those ringing words continue to inspire us today,' the pope said of the Declaration of Independence, 'even as they have inspired peoples throughout the world to fight for the freedom to live in accordance with their dignity.'
    He cited the abolition of slavery, the growth of the labor movement and the fight for racial equality as proof that 'when a country is determined to remain true to its founding principles, based on respect for human dignity, it is strengthened and renewed.'
    He warned that religious freedom was under threat but did not mention gay marriage, abortion or government-mandated birth control coverage by name.
    He decried 'a world where various forms of modern tyranny seek to suppress religious freedom, or try to reduce it to a subculture without right to a voice in the public square, or to use religion as a pretext for hatred and brutality.'
    Prison ministry has been a hallmark of Francis' pontificate. He meets often with inmates and has washed prisoners' feet during pre-Easter rituals. He opposes the death penalty in all circumstances and has called for the abolition of life imprisonment and solitary confinement.
    The Pope landed in Philadelphia on Saturday morning and celebrated a Mass for about 1,600 people at the Cathedral Basilica of Sts Peter and Paul, saying the future of the Catholic Church in the United States requires a much more active role for lay Catholics, especially women.
    Francis has repeatedly said women should have a greater role in church leadership, though he has rejected the idea of ordaining women.
    He also encouraged immigrants in the crowd of 40,000 to celebrate their heritage and traditions, and he assured them they are of value to America.
    The pope made a thinly-veiled swipe at Donald Trump during the speech, as he defended Latino immigrants who came to America at 'great personal cost'.
    Francis called on migrants from Mexico and the rest of the world to 'not feel discouraged by all the challenges and hardships' they face, saying they should never feel ashamed of their own traditions.
    The pope's words come in direct contrast to Trump's calls for a wall to be built along the Mexican border and for stricter controls on who can enter the US.
    Speaking from the lectern used by President Abraham Lincoln when he delivered the Gettysburg Address, Francis directly addressed America's Hispanic population, saying: 'Thank you for opening the doors. Many of you have emigrated. I greet you with my heart.
    'Many of you came to this country at great personal cost, but in the hope of building a new life. Do not feel discouraged by all the challenges and hardships you might face. I ask you not to forget that, like those who came here before you, you bring many gifts to this new nation of yours.
    'Please: do not feel ever ashamed of your traditions.'
    The birthplace of American democracy was turned into an armed and heavily fortified encampment for the pope's visit, with streets blocked off by metal fencing and concrete barriers, visitors passing through airport-style security checkpoints and thousands of police and National Guard troops on patrol.
    Some feared the heavy security would scare people off, and, in fact, train ridership was lower than expected Saturday. Restaurateurs complained of empty tables.
    But Francis was cheered by tens of thousands Saturday night at a music-and-prayer festival on the Parkway, waving to the crowd in his open-air popemobile. Performers included Aretha Franklin and Andrea Bocelli.
    The program was trimmed after it ran more than an hour late and Francis ditched his prepared remarks to instead deliver an off-the-cuff monologue on families and God's love.
    He called families a 'factory of hope,' even with their imperfections.
    'Defend the family, because that's where our future will play out,' he said.
    After he finished, a chant erupted from Logan Square: '¡Viva El Papa, Viva La Familia!'
    Organizers have said they expect one million people to turn out Sunday for Francis' final Mass in the United States, a nation the Argentine is visiting for the first time.
    At the Mass, six families - from Australia, Congo, Cuba, France, Syria and Vietnam - will receive Francis-signed copies of the Gospel of St. Luke. They'll get an additional 100,000 copies to distribute in their home countries.
    'I'm going to give it to the people who need it the most,' said Thomas Coorey, a dentist and father of four from Sydney. 'I want to give it to the people who don't have access to the word of God.'
    He called Francis 'the most inspirational and amazing pope that could breathe life into this church of mine. And I'm so grateful to have a leader like him who's so humble and such a true servant of God.'
    It's been a common sentiment throughout the Pope's visit to Washington, D.C., New York and Philadelphia.
    'It's the wave. It's the smile,' said Tom Hambrose, 52, of Haddon Heights, New Jersey, attending the Festival of Families on Saturday night. 'It's what he's articulating, that the church needs to step forward and needs to change its thinking about things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250894/Po...
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook