If marijuana had never become illegal, would it have ever become so popular?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by noahr68, Sep 9, 2015.

1. I've often thought that the reason marihuana became so popular is because of its illegal status. If it had never been made illegal, do you think it would have still gained so much popularity?

2. I think absolutely yes. The illegality of weed is not a perk. If anything I believe more would smoke if it was legal

3. Ya, it makes you think...deeply...about shit that doesn't matter and stuff like life. And the system I'm which we operate, so ya, it's a game changer...an incredibly passive one.

4. #4 TinTizzy, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
    Probably not that's the whole reason it's becoming not as big of deal is that it's used by way more people and the people that dont use it realize the government was full of shit and it shouldn't have been illegal in the first place..we would probably all just be taking our cannabis pills along side our fish oil or whatever and go about our jolly day...im talking about the taboo part of popular not it's medical effects part..like how it was popular in the 60s with the anti government crowd

5. it was always popular. even before prohibition.

6. #6 garrison68, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
    Marihuana is also known by it's addicts as Mary Jane, pot, funny cigarettes, muggles, reefers, grass, tea, cheeba, joints, mighty mezz and a number of other slang terms used to fool the police. It is known to cause first-time users instant addiction after only a few puffs, a loosening of morals and judgement, and often leads to violent crime, murder, insanity or suicide. When smoked, it has a sickly-sweet odor. Those with the habit are referred to as "vipers". They frequent parties and clubs that feature primitive, highly rhythmic music played by musicians who also partake in this vile substance. Be aware, never accept a "new" type of cigarette from a friendly stranger and, most of all, TELL YOUR CHILDREN about the dangers of this evil weed, called Marihuana, before it's too late!

7. just shut up, that was the most stupid I've seen all week hahaha

8. lol - you really think he's serious?

9. I don't think so but who knows. Motherfuckers that looked at me like I was a pothead back in school, I mean real square motherfuckers ended up potheads themselves after high school and smoke more weed than I do smh. So who knows Lol.

10. Marijuana will eventually become the new alcohol when it's been legal for so long that people barely even remember when it was illegal. It will lose that stigma that if you smoke weed you are a pothead or automatically lazy the same way people don't think it's weird for someone to have a beer when they get home from work. Like with all things when people see it in their own lives and how people behave much more reasonably than drunk people they'll realize that pot is a relatively harmless vice. Also when people realize that regulating it makes harder to get they'll give up the bullshit argument of think of he children. In high school I pretty much always could find bud, but it was always a struggle to find someone willing to buy me alcohol.

11. that's how I've always thought of it, probably not in our lifetime though

12. Well for me I'm 21 so I'm expecting to probably see that happen towards the end/possibly middle of my lifetime. It's becoming a lot more common to see weed portrayed in a benign or even positive way in TVs and movies which is a definite benefit to the movement. People who are normal individuals by society's standard smoking weed in roles and not just being the stereotypical dumbass lazy stoner that was so prevalent in the past. On top of that people my age rightfully so have a vey strong distaste for the war on drugs/weed, and eventually we will start to compose the main voting block in like 20-30 years. I can't imagine weed being illegal on a federal level for more than 15-30 years. The tide is changing so drastically and the states that have legalized have shown that it can work, well many other states are scrambling to legalize. I'm hoping NJ or NY gets some legal weed soon. We need a northeastern hub of legal marijuana and not just decriminalization.

Even many conservatives are realizing the war on drugs is a failure and that there is huge money to be made off regulating weed like alcohol. I think in our country we have two very distinct groups who are becoming more popular especially among young voters Progressivism and libertarianism. However polar opposite they are on issues of economics they are generally both for less war, decriminalization/legalization of weed, and less domestic surveillance. This is why I think our country will move more towards these policies in 20-30 years, but who knows it hard to predict that far down the road.

13. Yes because hemp has many uses.

14. I'm 18, and I'm very confident it will be legal in my state by 25. I'm in va.

15. Well, it is legal here good ol colorado able I can tell you it is more popular than ever :) I can't wait till the day all my brothers and sisters here can enjoy the same freedoms. Keep fighting the good fight y'all and I think I'll see total legalization in my lifetime and im 30.

16. There was a country with no laws against drugs, and they had less users that other countries I think. So who knows.

17. are you talking about Portugal? If so, drugs aren't legal there but just totally decriminalized and you are right. Use dropped significantly. Prohibition of anything NEVER works, only makes things much much worse.

18. I think this is one issue pretty much every blade can agree on maybe except anyone who deals weed.

19. No, I don't.

The whole '60s cultural and political movements were anti-establishment. Defying the law was part of it, and pot was a handy (and fun) way of doing that.

Before that, MJ was pretty obscure.

20. Ever hear of the 100 Monkey Syndrome?