New Space Bucket Grower- HELP

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by grow4um, Sep 8, 2015.

1. #1 grow4um, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    Started a space bucket grow, well 3 of them to be exact, and I am starting to gain some momentum but still experiencing really slow growth. They are about 3 weeks old (started germinating the seeds on 8/23) and have only started flourishing the last few days. I started with straight water (ph'd t0 6.0) in a coco coir perlite mix (about 70/30 coir/perlite). I have been watering slowly and regularly because I know I have them in a larger than required bucket.
    I have 4 100w equivalent CFLs on each bucket. Here is what I am seeing:
    • Uneven growing among the 3 plants (least concerning)
    • Leafs drooping (kinda worried)
    • Last few days, explosive growth but seeing some yellowing on the tips of the leaves.
    I've continued to give ph'd water at 6.0 level since that is what I read is appropriate for coir. I left on a weekend trip on Firday morning and gave them Dyna-Gro Foliage at 1/4tsp p/gallon. When I came back last night I saw the most growth I've seen so far. My knee jerk reaction is to give them more nutes, but when I looked closer the leaves are getting yellow spots on the tips and edges. Too much conflicting info out there so I need to hear something straight from someone who knows what they are talking about. The strain is blueberry in case that matters. I am giving Cali-Magic up to 250ppm. Here is how I have been feeding:
    • tap water with nutes at 1/4 tsp p/gallon
    • then I ph the water to 6.0
    • then i add cal-mag to get me to 200-300ppm
    • then re-test ph.
    • giving only enough water to soak the surrounding area with only about 5% runoff at the most.
    Here are some pics of what I am seeing of late and my rigs.

Here is plant #1:
    -I saw the most explosive growth on this one the last 2 days, Prior to that over the 3 weeks I had nothing but stretch and a couple of leaves.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6lP86wNNLgnT1VH...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6lP86wNNLgnM21zY...

-the second plant has seen a definite improvement in leaf growth, just not as much as plant 1.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6lP86wNNLgnVkpT...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6lP86wNNLgnWjhO...

-the 3rd plant isnt worth showing yet
    --I left it in a rapid rooter when I left for the weekend and when I came back it had stretched to about 5". I surrounded the stem with coir and turned the lights on. I have my first set of serrated leaves coming thru just 12 hours later.

Thanks for reading this long post and offering some help.

2. They are 3 weeks out of the soil? That is not good if that is the case. It seems like you have a lack of light. What kind of color spectrum is the light? CFLs have different kelvins they measure it by. I found a good article for you researching your problem. Here it is- http://www.rollitup.org/t/tutorial-to-growing-with...

3. They also look hungry to me. Nitrogen deficiency can also cause the tips to yellow. If they were mine, I'd up the nute strength just a bit and see what happens. My $.02

4. Thanks for the replies. They took a really long time to germinate so I'd say 15 days since they popped out of the rapid rooters. I've been super conservative with nutes. You think I should up the dynagro and the cali-mag or just the dynagro?

5. Oh and as for the lights they are 2700k/23w

6. You have 4 of those over each plant? Switch it to to 6500k daylight bulbs when you get a chance. Not completely educated about growing your style, but I think ironhead grows in Coco, searching for his method for success might really help you out. He's got a lot of people following his feeding formula. These guys I think have helped you look through your problem do far though

7. Thanks tenshu. I'm grabbing 6500k bulbs today. We'll see how they react. I'm gonna up the nutes a bit too

8. Yes I would up the nutes not the cal mag though I have never grown in cocco but I'm pretty sure there is no nutes in it so need to feed soon after pops ground bit be very careful especially when they are at this early of growth

9. Thanks. I'm gonna be conservative with nutes and I think your right. I read somewhere else that coco is essentially inert. Do you think I should be worried about raising red flags on my electricity usage? 12-40w bulbs going 24/7 seems like it would be a big deal

10. Grow4um, are your plants doing any better?

11. Save these for flowering☺

12. So I have 6500k lights on the way. I couldn't find any in home depot, lowe's, etc. I upped the nutes yesterday. So far so good.

13. Cops don't just sit around and watch electricity usage, but I have an A/C and a huge stereo I am sure you can think of something to attribute the new usage to, if you had to. I get paranoid, but I think about how many people have such a bigger bill than me and how much power I could be using more of. I have been using an A/C unit 24/7 cuz of the temps outside :( so, I am not too worried about power usage seeing as the temps are high.

14. I don't know where you live but, for me, all the lights etc have only slightly increased the bill.

15. Good to know, thanks

16. So here's the latest....
    Good growth but definitely seeing yellowing of the lower leaves. My new 150w 6500k cfls should arrive tomorrow but the yellowing got worse after watering. Is this a light issue or ph/nutes? I was at 250ppm for my water using dynagro foliage. Everything I read said that was too low for growing in coco coir so I upped the ppm to 550. That was the low end of the range on 3 different forums. Did I torch my babies with nutes or do I need to stop spazzing until I get the new lights and see how they react?

17. Hey grow! 😉 yep, what you said!
    You probably have the lights by now, how goes it? Pics?

18. Yea, can you get us some pictures?

19. It's not looking good. Here are some updated pics.
    http://imgur.com/a/hbUhU
    Lower leaves are getting yellow and crispy. They are turning up also. My healthiest plant went from deep green to yellowish all over. You can compare to the earlier pics I posted. My 2nd biggest plant looks a slight bit yellower than it already was but it looks like someone hosed off a really furry cat. The leaves are all turned down. The smallest one is still chugging along. No real change. The new lights have been in since Friday. Its gotta he the way im applying the nutes i think. Im giving between 550 and 650 ppm with every watering. Water ph'd to <6.0 everytime also. I was rocking for a minute but im definitely seeing a tirn for the worse Help!!!!!!!!!