Any photographers here that could help with something?

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by froosh225, Sep 3, 2015.

1. I found a Canon Rebel SXi body and a Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens for decent prices so I decided to take the plunge and buy them. The lens finally arrived today so I immediately started playing around with my new complete camera. However, everytime I was trying to take a picture, the screen would say "Err 01, the communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean lens contacts". I tried everything I could think of but kept getting the message, except for three times I managed to snap pictures. I looked to youtube where someone said that with a Tamron he managed to fix the issue by setting the camera to the lowest f-stop setting and taking a picture, then setting it to the highest f-stop setting and taking a picture. I attempted this and realized that the lens and camera only seem to communicate with each other at the lowest f-stop setting. I did trial and error multiple times and found this to be the case. My main question here is does anyone know of any way to make it so that the lens will work on all f-stop settings? I don't want to be limited to just one choice...

2. I tried that dudes method and the thing is I think he is shooting in Auto mode, which seems to automatically take pictures using the lowest f-stop number. The main issue here is I usually shoot in manual mode and want more of a range and the ability to adjust aperture and exposure accordingly, but anytime I attempt to move to a larger f-stop number this message keeps popping up. There are a couple more videos I'm going to check out otherwise I'm not totally sure what I should do.

3. Actually if that video is watched all the way to the end, it brings up 6 suggested videos. The first one shows the exact issue I'm having but unfortunately they don't explain how to fix it, but after reading the comments I'm pretty sure that the aperture cable might have malfunctioned, so I guess I'll look into that