Stealth LED DWC cabinet grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by HiFL420, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Thank you! I think my problems are from the dead male roots just hanging out in the res or It could just be the strain killing off its fan leaves at the end of its life cycle. I am not too worried though, They are just about done and the flowers look great. My plan now is to keep topping off with RO water for the next few days until I think they are ready to flush, I will then flush up to 2 weeks or as needed. I have been watering with RO water for a few days and the plants have been responding well. I have seen more growth in the last 24 hours then I have in the previous week. I think the hardest part now is having patience.

Yeah, I did not do such a good job of training. I think the bud will be top notch but I also think that the yield could and will be much higher next time. The objective for the first grow was to establish female clones and get a setup dialed in that could produce a perpetual grow, anything beyond that is bonus at this point. I am extremely happy with my setup and the results. I am excited to see what I can do on the next run.

2. #62 HiFL420, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
    They still haven't been eating (after the flush), but the EC has been staying stable at about 1100 (550 PPM). They definitely have been growing though. There was a noticeable difference in flower size over night.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447264895.047769.jpg

Pictures don`t do justice. You can see some purple in the GSC. I dropped the temps at night to 63 a couple times to try and bring out purple. Wonder if it was that or just genetics?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447264910.542437.jpg

The Buddha Delight is a big plant with a bunch of awesome looking colas. I`m guessing to get maximum yield out of the cab all I would have to do is SCROG one BD. I def think its worth it to have less yield and multiple strains though.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447264928.433118.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447264947.426355.jpg

The 4 up and comers are starting to grow new veg fairly fast now. They look a little pale due to temps dropping at night.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447264958.763532.jpg

All the clones still seem to be in flower. I have them on a 20/4 light sched now. I have the light and exhaust fan on the same time so when the light goes out the humidity gets to about 80%. Its so dry most of the time, I wanted to see if the humidity helped them grow faster and keep the temps in the 70s.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447264970.254365.jpg

The cheesy headband is the least developed and will prob flower substantially longer than the rest.

3. They look hella good!!! Ugh seeing everyone and their GSC makes me want to start mine next! Yeah I feel you on the 1st run get everything dialed in and going strong for round 2! I'm going to be harder and more persistent wig my training 2nd go around to maximize my space get get some flux training in or scrog still debating!? I definitely want to get some color strains going to, love my purple in bud!!

4. #65 HiFL420, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
    Day 55 of flowering, just finishing up the 8th week and started flushing with clearex at 10ml per gallon, PH 5.8. This was the last res change of this grow. I will flush for as long as needed and top res with pure RO water as needed.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447641070.696508.jpg

I cut off a lower branch of the Buddha Delight to take a little taster. It looks and smells delicious! [​IMG]

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447641090.407240.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447641118.821714.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447641148.518417.jpg

I am thinking the GSC is going to be my fav. The purple looks swweeeeetttt!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447641226.739158.jpg

Hard to tell in pic but this main cola of the Buddha Delight is huge. It is about foot long and super fat. Such an oily, sticky, stinky bud. You can def tell it has diesel in its genetics. Pretty sure I could harvest the BD now. I need to get a magnifying loop to inspect trichomes.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447641253.586747.jpg

The cheesy headband is still filling out slowly. I think it might go for another week or two.

5. Can't wait to hear how your cookies taste!!

6. #67 HiFL420, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447693845.845611.jpg

I did not want to wait for the BD to cure so I let it dry a little overnight then made some Rosin.

7. #68 HiFL420, Nov 17, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447733135.306527.jpg

I have been doing some reading about reducing the light or turning it off for the last 1 to 3 days. People swear that it makes the trichomes explode and gives the flower the look like it was rolled in sugar.

So to see if this works I changed my light to bloom only, reducing the power by about half. I will run it like this for a few days. I then will turn off the main LED and just leave the side lights on for a few days and then leave them in complete darkness for the last 24 hours before I harvest.

I am hoping by running the light on bloom only mode (makes spectrum mostly red) and gradually reducing light to total darkness will signal the plants that they are coming to the end of their life cycle. If I am understanding correctly what I have read about the effects of different light spectrums and prolonged periods of darkness and if my thought process is correct they should swell and create a bunch more resin.

8. subbing in. I don't think you will see any difference with extra dark hours, but it's not going to do any harm so no worries about experimenting.

About the EC you have/had, once you get about half way through flowering the plants start to take up a gradually weaker solution. For me in the last couple of weeks the plants take up about an EC of 0.6 milliSiemens/cm, or 600 microSiemens/cm which is what you use I gather. (about 300ppm)

So your nutrient strength was rising because it was simply too high

9. #70 HiFL420, Nov 17, 2015
    Thank you for the input! Great to have you! I tried to find some of the threads and articles I have been reading but don't remember where I found them. There are people that swear there is an aesthetic difference between finishing up with an extended dark cycle.

There was a guy that did a side by side comparison of same strain flower, finished with norm light cycles and darkness. He claimed that the potency, smoke and smell was the same but the flower exposed to darkness looked to have substantially more trichomes. He also said that his medical customers could tell the difference and always wanted the darkness herb.

I need to get a microscope on them but I can tell they are just about done. The pistils have mostly receded into the calyxes, most pistils are amber and bud swelling has seemed to slow. I too figured that worse case scenario with this experiment would be nothing different happens. Sounded interesting, so why not?

Thank you for the info on my EC. Makes total sense now! I will keep that in my back pocket for next grow. So is that a natural response due to ending life cycle?

Yes you are correct, the continuous monitor I have reads in EC micro siemens and you divide that number in half to get PPM. That info is hard to find on the internet and took me quite a while to figure out. Instead of google I just need a goldgrower.com search engine [​IMG] The book that came with the meter was no help either.

10. .
    Usually when I harvest it takes me several days, and because the light is very bright ill knock it off when harvesting, and often not bother putting it back on, especially when all the plants are ripe. I have never noticed the difference between what I harvest on the first day, from what I harvest on the 4th or 5th day. The internet is full of myths just like this, but doing your own experiments is usually the best way to go.
    I believe so, they sort of self flush in many cases. I also believe that if you keep that EC balanced then there is no need to flush, flushing is a necessity because people overdose their plants, and this seems to be more common than not. The term flushing is more suited to soil anyway because its the soil you flush, you can't flush a plant, and in DWC there is nothing to flush, you just empty the reservoir and re-fill.
    My EC meter displays in milliSiemens but doesn't say so on the thing itself and I have had it probably 10 years now. So when new EC meters started measuring in microSiemens and they too didn't mention that, it got extremely confusing lol. It took me weeks of researching to actually figure out what was going on lol. It all seems so simple now though

11. I got a sweet USB microscope that ranges from 10x to 120x zoom. Below are 2 pics of the GSC. Trichomes look cloudy to me but no amber. I'm thinking another week and she will be ready.

Attached Files:

12. Below is the Buddha Delight. I think it is ready to go. Looks like a good mix of milky and amber. Was thinking about harvesting in the next day or 2. What do you think?

Attached Files:

• BD.jpg
      BD.jpg
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  13. The Cheesy Headband will need at least another week. All the pistils are still white and looks to me that most trichomes are still clear.

Attached Files:

14. Hello hifl I been watching your grow for some time it looks like you got everything done hands down and what amazing photos you got! The GSC looks awesome!.... "Just about ready looks to be" I was wondering if at the end of the GSC flower do you notice any extra growth almost like them swelling up more?

15. definitely clear but....
    sexy looking! I personally can't wait to get to just the flowering part... And I know I'm going to go stupid come harvest time!

16. Hi HIFL, was checking out your grow with the yielder max. Looks like you got a pretty awesome turn out. I've been trying to read up on the yielder max and earth cab. I need something that is gonna be stealthy for sure especially with smell. I know yours was hydroponic, I'll prob go with a soil option. Now that you've had two and maybe onto your third grow would you have any more feedback? How well did the cab do with the neutralizing the odor? and do you feel it was worth the money? How have your yields been? Thanks in advance. I've been learning quite a bit and just need to jump in and try it.

17. After my third grow, I can give this review. The Yieldermax is a decent beginner system that you will want to upgrade as you go along. The lights are pretty high end, but the rest of the products from the air pumps, filter, to the nutrient tub are low grade. The supplied nutrients are pretty good (from the Botanicare line). The cabinet is sturdy and has no discernible light leak. Not too loud either. But the wheel casters are also low end which makes wheeling a pain in the ass.

Yields are getting better and better as I gain experience. Do not expect to be flowering 12 plants at once. There is probably room for 4-5 dense plants. The setup rewards SCROG and basic topping and lolly-popping. I find that the size of the plants are highly determined by their placement in the system. Plants in the middle grow like crazy, the ones on the edges go slower. The two chamber system is great for quick turnovers. Odor control can be a problem. The supplied filter is good for veg, but will not control the flower odor. By my third grow, even veg started stinking up the place. An ozone emitter placed on top of the unit near the exhaust was the only thing that worked. I am going to try upgrading the filter to a premium version and see how that works. Also, I recommend using pipe cleaners to make sure the drip system works optimally.

• Like Like x 1