Russet mites

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by pattyrough, Sep 3, 2015.

1. I just found out I have those nasty little bugs, and purchased some guard,met 52ec,and yucca. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Big time exterminator

• Like Like x 1
  3. I also like to inhale my girls, but what would you do? If I don't use anything, I lose my garden, that's why I'm on here, asking for advice.I don't have a bad infestation, but I'm not ready to harvest for a few more weeks. I have put so much work into them this year, and you can't even tell I have them,unless I look with a scope. So I would rather try and treat them, than, smoke a bud that has mites on it, that I can't see.
    Do you have them where you live? What would you do?
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rosemary oil is something we use in organic gardening to battle regular ol' mites. If you do indeed have russet mites (they are microscopic), I don't see any reason why rosemary wouldn't work on them. It's non-toxic (to us) and breaks down quite quickly when exposed to light and oxygen.

If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig up some mixing instructions. If memory serves, very little is needed to be effective (1ml/gallon?).

View attachment Rosemary Efficacy on Mites.pdf

5. I discovered them after fighting a nonexistent battle with nutrients and pH. I had just successfully taken down aphids delivered by an unknowing friend with pyrethrins so I did not look as closely, like 100x closely, for other bugs. These little spawn of Satan are 1/100th of an inch long and not many can do huge damage.

After six weeks of flushing soil, precision pH control, azamax, neem in soil and 3x on plants over 10 days, Hot shot bug bomb, Ortho 3-in-one, fresh water rinses, all my plants are dead.

6. I got them last year and they wiped me out in veg...gotta bleach water everything

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yup. To say the least... I wonder how I got 'em?

8. I have heard 1:10 bleach up to 1:1 ratio. Does anyone know if bleach actually kills them and their eggs? I have heard may opinions. I have a worry that the BORG are in my ducting, living spaces, etc.

I have a genetics delivery in a couple weeks and I want to be sure I am ready.

Is it time for the great culling of all plants? The pics below are current, a week from the last treatment. I can't seem to find any live bugs but doubt that means much. Kill the ladies?

I had written a few days back that they were dead but not quite. They don't seem to be coming out of it but maybe the damage progression has slowed.

Maybe I should just get it over with and kill the crop and clean the hell out of everything, sterilize soil, and start over. Thoughts?

the life tracker 008.JPG the life tracker 007.JPG the life tracker 006.JPG the life tracker 005.JPG the life tracker 004.JPG the life tracker 008.JPG the life tracker 007.JPG the life tracker 006.JPG the life tracker 005.JPG the life tracker 004.JPG the life tracker 002.JPG the life tracker 003.JPG

9. I have read pretty consistently that 115F water bath will kill the bastards. Do you think a 3:1 water to dirt flush at 130F will sterilize the soil of these pests?

10. So on the topic of cleaning the livin shit out of the place I have a question. I keep reading that a 115f soak of the plant and soil will kill these BORG. Do you think a 3x the pot volume slow flush with 130f water will kill the nasties in the soil, eggs and all? I bet it does and leaves a lot of the soil life intact. It seems a better move than sterilizing soil in the oven. Thoughts?

11. Made by Monsanto.......

12. Sorry to hear you have run up against these devil bugs. I have been doing a lot of studying on these critters and though I can not say for sure if your choice of weapons will work It does seem some bug guns will work for sure. Forbid is the one that seems best but be careful with it if you choose to go the nuclear route. Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

13. No one is responding to this question. I really could use some opinions! QUESTION: So on the topic of cleaning the living shit out of the place I have a question. I keep reading that a 115f soak of the plant and soil will kill these BORG. Do you think a 3x the pot volume slow flush with 130f water will kill the nasties in the soil, eggs and all? I bet it does and leaves a lot of the soil life intact. It seems a better move than sterilizing soil in the oven. Thoughts?

14. I have also got these little bastards. Just like you, we we're thinking some sort of deficiency. They got us on two crops. Not sure what we'll do at this point but we're considering nuking our building.

• Like Like x 1

15. I have a thread with my plant having this problem possibly, any chance you guys could check it out?