Vermiculite or perlite?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TaDow, Sep 3, 2015.

1. I just put together my first batch of soil from a members blog. While sourcing the amendments I learned about the 2 aeration mediums. Any thoughts?

2. Doesn't matter, they both do the same thing.

3. Vermiculite has better water retaining properties, if you're looking strictly for aeration, go with perlite. It has a medium water retention rating while vermiculite had a high rating.

I remember going half on a dime sack

4. Wrong. Use 50% perlite in one mix and 50% verm in the other and try saying they do the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Cannasaurus X, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
    Perlite in soil mixes greatly improves aeration and slightly alters the soils substructure, keeping it loose and allowing for good drainage and oxygen content.

Vermiculite in soil mixes gives a very light open soil which will hold more water, increasing the times between watering. Vermiculite also has excellent ion exchange properties which absorb excess nutrients and release them slowly to the plants via the finest root hairs and Mycorrhizal funghi.

A combination of the two mediums works well at a 2:1 ratio in a soil mixture.
    2 Parts Perlite : 1 Part Vermiculite.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thank you, this is excellent info :)

7. Just what I was looking for. Thanks my friend

8. I agree Use both. There's both plus sand, lava rocks, rice hulls and grow stones for aeriation in my soil. I couldn't tell you the ratios. Its all been added at different times in-between grows.