Led to replace my hids?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by AMG, Aug 31, 2015.

1. #1 AMG, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
    hi all. I very rarely post but I have been reading and researching led grow lights for the last few weeks and am getting more and more confused.
    What I am looking for is advice or comments from people who have experience with led vs hid
    I grow organic and my current light set up is:
    I grow 6x chronic at a time.
    start cuttings and 'pre veg' under a 96w t5 lightwave.
    Then moved to a 1m x 1m tent with 400w has for 4 weeks veg.
    Lastly, moved to a 1.2 x 1.2m under a 600w has for 8-9 weeks.
    I typically get approx 14-17oz.
    What I am trying to get to the bottom of is, can I either save power or increase yield using led?
    I don't want to drop yield most importantly if I can help it.
    I have been looking at the prakasa ufo as a potential for my small pre veg tent as a tester.
    Then I was thinking. If this goes well, maybe I could put 4 in a tent to replace my 400 or 600 hps.
    I know there is a lot of stuff on here about led but I don't seem to see a consistent or definitive conclusion as to thier performance.
    Any advice always gladly accepted.

2. damn that's annoying. Just spotted my spelling mistake in my topic title. God damn sausage fingers!

3. #3 LEDgrowman, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
    If your not ready to spend $1400 to replace 600HPS? I would stay with the HPS.
    Cheap in the LED hort fixture world= Garbage[​IMG]
    Monobased is mostly dead-COB has changed the market almost overnight

• Like Like x 2
  4. I am happy to spend the money if I get the results to be honest. Just want to be able to definitively see what works and what doesn't toilet a clearer picture.
    What I have learnt is that there is a lot of cheap rubbish about.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Your right.You want the best mono available? Its Osrams factory built zelion. This is wk5 moxie lemon og oil production and yield #s are impressive. This is a 50/50 medium yielder.

Attached Files:

6. I'll be experimenting with the cheap rubbish...

Maybe it's a Combo to go WITH the LED ???

Florescent is cheap too...

I might have to Veg with Florescent

and Bloom with Florescent AND LED

Of course the Florescent Bulbs would be changed for Veg and Bloom
    I'm experimenting with Cheap lighting cost...

Both "BUYING" ,,, and energy used...

I don't smoke ( I used to )... it's been a Hobby Growing.... Learning indoor and outdoor...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Awesome Avatar!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. You "Can" edit a post... I do it all the time

9. I am not saying all cheap stuff is rubbish but just trying to clarify what works well. I read a few good things about the prakasa kit but yet to see final results.
    Awesome looking plants there ledgrowman. What size room and wattage led setup is that?

10. I understand what you mean.... Cheaper right now has a bad Rep...

Seems you have to spend $1500 bucks for a Blue and red light...

My experiment will be just that..... an experiment...

11. #11 LEDgrowman, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    The last 5 x 5 I put together cost $2300 for 1000watts and that's pretty much the going rate if you want the best. Most find out the hard way when they spent $1000 to fill a 5x5 with epistart
    I have rec for along time. If you don't have the $ for the good LEDs? Then stay put with HPS till you do.

12. which blue n red ones cost 1500

13. I was talking combo... not just one light... but enough for a limited area...

I be trying some cheap ones I found... but I won't buy more until I test the one I have.

14. #14 sick__boy, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
    if you think that change the hid with leds you gone have better results from hid light then think 2 times m8 because you gone need same watts leds to get close to the yield you take from hid (close not the same but close)

if still wond leds then go with bridgelux diodes and meanwell drivers not WITH EPISTAR CRAP IS WORTHLESS and buy from your country manufactors not the china craps m8 even if they are in half price (they always dont put in customs tax etc witch is gone make the total price close to what you look in your local market and afc you support your country not the china crap manufactors that selling dangerous fire potential units

to get an idea my family owns a growshop and we bring leds from the start from the led ufo era !!! i have test a tone of led lights phitolight illuminex cultilight hdroplanet etc and many more from the cheapest (with epistar crap) to the high end with bridgelux diodes and meanwell drivers i have test it all with same watts hid or close and ghess what i always blow them away with my hid double ended 400v bulbs i have --->>ALWAYs<<----and i'm not talking small differences but very very noticeable differences

leds are in the right way but is not yet perfect or close to hid lights we always remember what make leds success that is low watts big yields afc in the middle of the road thats proven a big marketing lie soo have this lie in mind before any manufactor or seller tell you that you gone take hid yields with lower watts

• Like Like x 1
  15. First check Greengenes Garden YT channel. About a year ago, he did a full grow 1000w hps v Apache Tech (I think it was the AT 600) and had the results lab tested. weight was about the same. LED had slightly better chemistry

Today you can buy 2 Amare Solar Spec 220s to pretty well cover a 5 x 5 @ $695, with a discount on 2.

Both of AT600 and the Amare is white based, not some voodoo burple wonder kind

A couple GCers have a SE 220 thread, or multiples, so you can see it/them in action

• Like Like x 1
  16. I decided to get a vero29 360w 3k to replace my current 600w in flowering. It will be a straight Swap to see what the differences are. Still vegging under a 400w hps. Let's see how it performs. Just get to sort temps but that will hopefully be sorted with my environmental controller unit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. All set up. Plants under it have just come out of veg. The ones on the left have about 3 or 4 weeks left under 600 hps
    Here is the pic

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. So far I have found about a 4c temp reduction.
    I will say that the new unit does not seem ad bright as the hps. You can see more shadows from leaves. If that makes sense.
    I do know that the 600 is producing a lot o light which is wasted though so time will tell.
    Also the footprint does seem slightly less than my 600.

19. So far, so good. Looking healthy. Can't quite decide whether they are filling out slightly slower but pleased so far.

Attached Files:

20. Temps habe dropped here recently. Typical as my heaters now need to be in more due to the low heat from the led :-?

Attached Files: