Topped

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Go Green!, Aug 31, 2015.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441084834.943887.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441084847.958628.jpg This would be a nice little set up for around 200$

2. Thank you Fgi. Yeah I've thought about the smell issue myself. I live in Michigan. And it's legal with a medical marijuana card but, well, I don't have one and so I have to take extra precaution. I have a feeling my poor little plant will probably eventually succumb to something anyways since there's no proper ventilation and whatnot. I want to top the other 2 branches so light gets down further but they're so pretty I hate to cut them. When will I start seeing a shoot off from the topped node? like in a month?

3. I'd recommend the tent and a small carbon filter/inline fan combo but that'll bring your investment into growing closer to 300$ and as for topping them I wouldn't try to top her again until she is completely healed and growing new branches. My advice would also be to bend her over and try LST it is quite easy. That way you'll be giving your plant more light to all the other side branches and giving equal light distribution. I see new growth from when I top within a day or two but then again my nursery tent has 600 watt metal halide in it so I have no clue how that correlates to cfl growth

4. Oh shit. Yeah that would bring me waaay past budget. Damn. Then again I didn't think I'd get a result as good as I did so I'd hate to just uproot her to toss her away with all the work I've put in. She is atm leaned to one side and the upper branches held together with a lose rubber band to get the light filtering to the lower branches.

5. This is one of mine that's about a little less than a month into LST with 600 watt mh light. The LST will make it into a bush. All the supplies I mentioned are just an estimate then can be had for less if you can find deals on eBay ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441086478.601546.jpg

6. That is beautiful. Yeah Idk. I think maybe I'm over my head taking on a project like this with not the right tools. I just figured some nice organic dirt, aerated pot and enough light would suffice but I don't think it will. I just don't want her dying. The area where it's topped the top turned a bit brown. Hoping to see an offset soon.

7. Don't get discouraged about growing it's a fun hobby this only my second try at it you also don't have to buy it all at once a piece here and there and you'll have a nice setup before you know it

8. Aw thanks :) and yeah that's true. Since the closet doesn't have vents. Would anyone actually be able to smell it? I mean unless they opened the closet door. I don't think the upstairs neighbor could (when that time comes). Then again that's pure speculation.

9. #29 fgj, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    you'd be surprised by how much they smell when flowering also if you're growing in the closet you won't even need a tent most likely

10. Yeah that's what I figured. So mostly just the ballast I guess? and of course a fan and charcoal filter.

11. Pretty much, what are the dimensions of your grow space?

12. I'm not sure to be honest. I'm gonna take a pic of the closet and post it.

13. Well I'd take a tape measure and get the dimensions. LxWxH whatever fan you get will have to be able to move 2-3 times the cubic feet of your closet in a minute

14. #34 Go Green!, Sep 1, 2015
    This is the closet I have to work with. Pretty spacious. From floor to ceiling I'd say about 7 feet. Maybe 7 and a half. Width (from wall to wall) I'd say 5 and a half, to maybe 6' across.
    [​IMG]

15. that's a pretty big closet are you planning on just growing one plant

16. #36 PNWClosetGrower, Sep 1, 2015
    Is that your house or an apartment? Your going to need a hole to vent out of if you go with a mh because of the heat. you need to figure out how to vent the heat out and recycle your air but still be able to seal the room off for 12 hours a day of complete darkness. i overcame this hurdle by building a box in a room witch the tent would be and making a door cover so i can leave the door open a little without letting much light into the room and no light into the box also added shade boxes to cut light and prefilters witch cut even more light to the intakes.. This way my vent just goes out the open door. I strongly suggest watching some tutorial videos or something and doing the research before you invest hundreds or it might all be for not. i did two weeks of research and still ended up repurchasing a couple things.

17. Yeah it's an apartment. My closet is a walk-in (which is what I'm growing in now) I'm only intending 3 plants. The beast I have now. The little seedling that's also in the same Phat Sack. And my OG Kush that just sprouted and is in the plastic planter. Not sure how I'm gonna ventilate. That may be a huge issue.

18. I'm a noob but it all looks good to me. I wouldn't worry too much about her dying. They're really resilient. You're far along enough now that she'll go to flower and harvest if you just maintain.

It's pretty much where I'm at now. Just trying to do what I can to get as much yield possible.

In regards to how aromatic, I would think that depends mostly on strain. My WW babies are already pungent enough to notice just opening the door and I'm 3-4 weeks from 12/12.

I hope you'll post more pics as you go!

19. If you think ventilation is going to be an issue don't use hid lighting it gets hot as hell go with led or cfl would be my recommendation they're supposed to be a lot cooler. My 600 watt hid is vented into the other room and i have a fan blowing as much of that out the window as i can and still enough heat gets back into the room the box is in to creep it up to 82. If i vented out of the box and into the same room the box is in it gets to 94. I tried that first, i also tried a cheap gull wing hood first, people are right when they say get an air cooled for hid lights. If smell worries you you need a carbon filter and a exhaust system, i don't think there's any way around it. You might be able to get away with a smaller one like the 400 he posted but you'll still need to get cool air into the room and hot air out because it does build up over time.

20. You will need some air in and air out! HID is hot! You can flower plants under T5 and they come in a variety of sizes and you can "dim" them if necessary... I have tried CFL small and big.. LED and HID... LED is great, but expensive! HID is hot and very brite. They generally require a cooling fan and ducting unless you can push that much fresh air you will need AC... A nice 6 bar 4 foot t5 light is under 200. I run 4 in a room and a 6 inch exhaust... No AC