Pouring beer in compost pile?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by killset, Aug 29, 2015.

1. http://compostbin.org/beer-and-wine-in-the-compost/

I began my first compost pile this summer. This morning I was cleaning out a cooler and fridge that has some odd and end beers that won't get drank. Ones people didn't like, others that hadn't been stored properly. Left overs from friends and family. My original intention was pour the beer down the drain and recycle the bottles and cans. I know, I know beer abuse, I apologize. As I grabbed the first beer, I looked at the bottle and thought about the different grains, yeast and such. Some are ciders, most are ales, couple ipas. So i googled it and it seems to be fine. A source of nitrogen and beneficial bacteria according to the sites I checked Does anyone do this? Any experience? Any potential problems, outside of using too much and making the pile to wet?

2. Can't say I have ever done it but ll the ingredients in beer and wine should break down (so long as you dont use some dodgy fake Russian vodka). The alcohol content, I would imagine, would have a negative effect on positive bacteria as well as killing bad. maybe akin to chlorine in your soil. Not sure how alcohol breaks down in such a situation on a chemical level, one for a science boffin me thinks.

If your compost pile is done and turned properly any negative bacteria will be killed off. Additionally anything capable of decomposing will do so, so long as the correct temp is maintained (about 140 degrees F if memory serves me correct).

Maybe try adding a bit at a time and note any changes.

3. It's fine. I never pour old beer down the drain. Compost pile, flower bed, in 5 gal containers, wherever. It's all good.

Wet

4. It's beer...and likely domestic swill (OP doesn't specify small-batch craft IPA or ale)...so it isn't like it has any real alcohol to speak of. After all, most swill is barely five percent ABV...

5. Lol ya no russian vodka. I've read several different articles on the matter. None of them listed anything negative and said beer/wine would break down fine. I went ahead and added 80lbs of a local organic compost I've been using while my pile gets going. It was very dry and the pile was ready. I added 3 ciders and 3 ipas to a bucket of water. I made sure to turn the pile really well. There's still several beers left. Too bad they all taste like shit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lagunitas ipa and Stella artios cider for those who were interested. They came out of a cooler that had gotten warm and recooled. I know some say they can't taste a difference but I can. The domestic swill, I.e. Budweiser, was always iced down and I'm sure will have no problem finding a home. I make sure the king of beers is well tended too

7. #7 Father Ted, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
    I'm all about the stronger European beers, English beer is shit in comparison imho. English folk should stick to making port, rum and the odd bitter.

Bud, king of beers? All about the erdinger for me. :p

8. It says so right on the bottle....

9. Yes, sorry I was being a jerk/beer snob. :)

10. I didn't take you as being a jerk. I'm just kidding around man.

11. Hhaha good stuff. Pour yourself a bud and as we say over in wankerland "bottoms up". :p

12. #12 killset, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015

Wrong thread

Attached Files:

13. I'm afraid I'd have to compost the king of beers if I found it sitting around my house.

Actually, I haven't composted beer yet. I normally use crappy beer people leave behind in bbq marinade or something.

14. They don't usually GET a chance to leave it...my peeps know better than to even deign to enter the premises with that crap. :D

15. I tell you what should be illegal - shit beer. Brewers of shit beer should be charged with crimes against humanity...:p

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 beerbrewer, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
    You must be joking about Lagunitas tasting like crap, right?

17. You must be joking about Lagunitas tasting like crap, right?
    </blockquote> ummm no tasted like shit too me. Since when do I have too like everything you do?

18. Seriousely guys no offence but most North American beer is shit.

Dutch and German beer rules.

Budvar tastes better then budwesier too imho.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lol I asked about pouring beer in compost and ended up getting told what I should like. Thanks for the help everyone.

20. Not sure where I "tell" you. I do however voice an opinion (a sound and logical one at that).

American beer is like watered down urine, thats why you bioys get so wasted when you come over here - cant handle it.

Mexican beer - LOL.

Canadians, God knows they probably just drink maple syrup.....