Stevie Ray Vaughan

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Spiritinthesky, Aug 27, 2015.

1. 27th Aug 1990, Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed when the helicopter he was flying in, hit a man-made ski slope while trying to navigate through dense fog. Vaughan had played a show at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin with Robert Cray & His Memphis Horns, and Eric Clapton. Vaughan was informed by a member of Clapton's crew that three seats were open on a helicopter returning to Chicago with Clapton's crew, it turned out there was only one seat left; Vaughan requested it from his brother, who obliged. Three members of Eric Clapton's entourage were also killed.

Full story here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/stevie_ray_vau...

2. I remember listening to the radio when that news came across...we had a lot of exposure to SRV since he had the Texas roots, and it seemed like a much bigger story in Texas at the time than elsewhere.

The similarities to the Richie Valens accident were quite eerie, especially when you consider the 'swapping out' of seating.

3. I lived at Alpine Valley!! Well not literally, but I can't tell you how many bands I've seen there. I totally remember this.