Attempting building a cabinet...

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by RoyalHighnessGrandDankness, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Hello.
    I'm very new to this website, so I started an account here to read up on threads and trying to get a general idea of what's involved in making a DIY stealth cabinet. I've already picked out a wardrobe I found in Ikea that I liked. Haven't purchased it yet though, waiting for them to get more in stock.

So from what it seems to be involved in making one, it looks like I need to consider:
    • ventilation
    • lighting
    • odor control
    • temperature/mildew control
    • light polution

Is there anything else I need to consider that I have not listed? Also thanks in advance for not blasting me for being new.

2. Definitely consider safety. Lights get hot and water and electricity do not play well together. Don't overload your circuits.

If you want stealth, you will also need to consider noise. The larger the cabinet, the larger the light, inline fan, air circulation fans, hydro gear (if you go that route) etc. Generally, ventilation planning helps here too. Larger diameter ducting with fewer bends is quieter and more efficient. When I built mine, I used 4" and it sounded like a jet engine. I tore it all out and used 6" insulated ducting which took up significantly more room. Also, hanging fans and filters with bungee cords will reduce vibration transmitted to the cabinet.

Is security and issue? Is it going to have any locks, etc.

You should consider your grow method. Soil is probably the easiest for small spaces, requires the least gear and is the most quiet. I made a mistake here with my cabinet. I would have built it differently if I knew I would have changed my mind to go with RDWC.

Finally, consider the strains you want to grow. Some are more suited to small environments (thinking indicas) and others are far more leggy (many sativas) and require significant training to keep in a small space.

3. Thanks Ice Cream Man for the response. Well I kind of figured that should be common sense with safety being the first major issue to tackle. [​IMG] I plan on having all the electrical located to the top and yes I prefer to apply hydroponics on the bottom.

Trying my best on reading other member's threads on their builds to get a better understanding on how ventilation should be installed properly. But a lot of them don't go into great detail on the 'why's' it should be done that way and also a lot of pictures are dark and a bit hard to visual see why I should be aiming for. Basically where should the air flow come from and where should it exit. Currently reading Bohbo's thread on that.

In regards to the hydroponics, I would love to use Superclosets build. If I can some how make one from scratch for half the costs, that would be better.

4. LOL, you would be surprised at the lack of commons seance people use. I have seen photos with power strips into non GFIC plugs sitting on the ground next to huge reservoirs, horrible jerry rigging or electricity, etc etc.

As for air, my understanding for passive negative pressure box, the intake hole(s) should be twice the area of the exhaust. Avoid 90 degree bends. If you have to bend 90 degrees, 2 45 degree bends is preferable. Mine is set up for the sir to flow Intake holes > Carbon Filter > exhaust ducting > exhaust fan. My intake is on the bottom and exhaust at top, forcing the fresh air around the plants.

5. Thanks for the heads up. I'm super excited to start diving into this project. I'll be starting by gathering the supplies today. I visited my local hydro store and saw their displays that were up and running. So the combination of everyone's posts here and visiting that store is all coming together now in my head. I can't wait to start posting pics to show you guys.

6. This is what I got so far. I'm getting more excited with each step as I build this guy.
    View attachment 7399