Drafting up horticultural lighting standards and labels

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rumiglow, Aug 21, 2015.

1. I've been working with a group of people to develop some horticultural lighting standards. We're hoping to move the industry towards a standard that helps enumerate fixtures in a common language. For example, everyone agrees that we should report light intensity in photon flux not lumens. Another shared perspective is that fixture manufacturers should share a breakdown of the spectral power distribution by percentages.

When the discussion of PAR came up, the group decided that it would be good to report output outside of 400-700nm. The term plant biologically active radiation (PBAR) was introduced to include UV and Far-red wavelengths. PBAR would cover the range of 300nm to 800nm.

Anyways, that's a little backstory.

What's emerging is a standards document that isn't exactly the most consumer friendly document. So, I worked up a 'nutrition label' to cover the basics and make it friendlier for the masses. Here's an early draft of a lighting fixture label that gives the basics.

horticultural-lighting-standard.jpg

Your comments and questions would be appreciated.

2. Great Idea, I do think that we all collectively need to push for a standard... too many BS claims for too long... Love the nutrition label look!.

I would recommend also a 4x4 grid with PPFD readings at 3 different heights, 12, 24 and 36 inch, this would be the best way to highlight which light/wattage would suit a grower for a particular environment.

Also, it may be suggested to post the chip type, LM80 info, and possibly even BIN and drive current which would help a buyer determine, how long with this light last.

Hope these suggestions help. Great idea though!