Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is the origin of blunts?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by ZombiePelican, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Where did rolling your bud in a gutted cigarillo get its start? Where did the practice originate from?

2. Once upon a time someone thought to themselves "what can I do to both mask the taste of my weed and get rid of this cheap ass gas station cigar at the same time?" The blunt was born

3. People have been smoking for over 10,000+ years, i don't think its possible for an accurate answer. Although I am sure someone from cali will claim the origins.

4. ...

Attached Files:

5. People who can't roll?

6. People have been mixing weed and tobacco for a long time (easily hundreds of years). However, the term "blunt" as applied to rolling weed in a cheap cigar likely originated in the late 80's, early 90s among inner city African-American youth (e.g., New York City). It was a cheap way for youths to pool their resources to buy enough weed to share. From there, the popularity of blunts probably took off once it became associated with hip-hop.

A "blunt" style cigar (e.g., Philly Blunt) is wider than a typical cigarillo and have a rounded, rather than tapered tip. This might have made these types of cigars easier to roll with marijuana. Hence, the name.

7. Blunts come from Philly, where philles produced a cheap cigar that was sold at gas stations and convenience stores. Cigars burn way slower than papers as you know and urban youth in the 80-90s began smokin them as a status symbol, like cigars, and to burn larger amounts of weed slowly.

8. funny you say that, cause I could always roll a joint like tying my shoes, but could never twist up a damn blunt.